cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

My Ebay sales are down 69% in the last 30 days!

I went from running 400-500 listings to now this month about 30. The computer algorithms that the eBay "TEAM" (Cough, Cough) cant even generate a single sale now that I have decreased my listing totals. I brought 3 carloads of ebay inventory to the church down the street. They were really happy to have it.

Is anyone else having this huge type of sales drop? Along with that customers are asking me information about the item that I already took time to type into the description which tells me that the click description button is now quietly being implimend.

Message 1 of 174
latest reply
173 REPLIES 173

Re: My Ebay sales are down 69% in the last 30 days!

@seafordtradingco wrote:

Why in the hell would eBay would limit sales????  What reason?  Sorry, that seems ludicrious. 

It seems absolutely counter productive.  If a seller is increasing sales, it means they are good at selling, or at least have figured out some hot sellers in the short term.  What possible reason could their be to throttle them back?

I've only come up with two possible reasons Ebay would want to do something like that.

1.  They subscribe to some egalitarian **bleep** philosophy that "everyone has to have a turn"

2.  They have promised a certain amount of traffic and sales to headliner sellers, and since Ebay only has a certain amount of traffic, they may need to direct it away from other sellers in order to meet their promises.

Message 106 of 174
latest reply

You are right..

Since the free promotions have dried up, I no longer buy anything on here any longer. Why should I? Like you said sellers are kicked in the gut...

REGARDS

Message 107 of 174
latest reply

That's great to be able to see improvement and understand why, for now, that is happening. 🙂 I hope your success continues and becomes all that you want it to be.

Message 108 of 174
latest reply

Just for comparison of impressions and stats. You have a nice SCR at 2.2% . imps.png

Message 109 of 174
latest reply

Seems a lot of us who came in here had sales, page views, impressions, etc. drop ON September 1.

Not August 30, not September 4.....but September 1. Obviously, something was changed on September 1. The fact we all experienced it says it's not hurricanes or school starting, etc. or some other ebb/flow.

Someone else who had this issue on here mentioned they were told by Ebay it was improper links in their description....rather, active content/HTML formatting making it look like a link.

Did any of you guys have stuff like this in your descriptions? I checked our listings and we have a hyperlink to our Ebay store in the description and this is showing as an improper link to Ebay. It is conceivable that Ebay changed the algoritihm to lower those with such formatting errors in search starting September 1.

Message 110 of 174
latest reply

@midwestmotoring wrote:

Seems a lot of us who came in here had sales, page views, impressions, etc. drop ON September 1.

Not August 30, not September 4.....but September 1. Obviously, something was changed on September 1. The fact we all experienced it says it's not hurricanes or school starting, etc. or some other ebb/flow.

Someone else who had this issue on here mentioned they were told by Ebay it was improper links in their description....rather, active content/HTML formatting making it look like a link.

Did any of you guys have stuff like this in your descriptions? I checked our listings and we have a hyperlink to our Ebay store in the description and this is showing as an improper link to Ebay. It is conceivable that Ebay changed the algoritihm to lower those with such formatting errors in search starting September 1.

Ebay changes stuff all the time and their default seems to be just to let everyone figure out what they did, if they can.  I can't count how many times impressions/views/sales etc have changed dramatically and I've had to spend hours searching, reading, guessing, changing things, etc, to figure out what was changed and what I needed to do to get back on track.

Ebay made changes on or around June 9th, August 9th, and September 1st.  One of those changes was to give less preference to new listings.  That's why adding new listings stopped being effective the first part of June.

This last time, I think they changed the amount of emphasis Cassini gives to old listings, conversion rate, and other metrics related to the seller rather than individual listings.  At least, when I addressed those things, my sales went back up, so that's my best guess.  I think those things will be more important going forward (unless of course they change it again).

It really **bleep** me off that they do it this way.  Would it kill them to at least give us a hint so we don't have to waste two weeks taking random shots in the dark?

Message 111 of 174
latest reply

@seafordtradingco wrote:

Why in the hell would eBay would limit sales????  What reason?  Sorry, that seems ludicrious. 

Far too few buyers, no advertising and far too many sellers. So EBay shuffles the views around, throttling and limiting some sellers certain times and then showing them at other times. 

IMHO they limit small sellers in order to fulfill their promises made to the big box stores of guaranteed sell through rates.

Message 112 of 174
latest reply

I didn't have any hyperlinks in my listings. I removed my store link some time ago when I learned it was going to ebays home page.
This really has been a year of changes on ebay.

Message 113 of 174
latest reply

@margarenisa_0 wrote:

@seafordtradingco wrote:

Far too few buyers, no advertising and far too many sellers. So EBay shuffles the views around, throttling and limiting some sellers certain times and then showing them at other times. 

IMHO they limit small sellers in order to fulfill their promises made to the big box stores of guaranteed sell through rates.

At least it's your humble opinion, which doesn't require any basis in fact.

Message 114 of 174
latest reply

@rschissler wrote:

@margarenisa_0 wrote:

@seafordtradingco wrote:

Rude.

The facts are in the selling histories. I have them and so does the OP. 

This is is all old news- go do a google search on the EBay employee that leaked all of this and then come back here sans the smart aleck comments.

Message 115 of 174
latest reply

margarenisa_0 wrote:

So EBay shuffles the views around, throttling and limiting some sellers certain times and then showing them at other times. 

Since so many small sellers deal in the used/second hand market of pre-owned merchandise, I don't think there is any need to limit their sales in order to fulfill any promises made to Big Box stores.  The BB's don't deal in what so many of the small sellers here do.  So there would be no reason to need to limit the small seller's sales of used CD's and DVD's or pre-owned jewelry pieces, clothing, dishes, home decor, etc. etc. etc. The Big Box stores aren't dealing in old auto parts, antiques and primitive dough bowls, used golf clubs and fielder's mitts, or a collection of old stamps, political pins, or photographs or Christmas cards from the 1940's.

I think eBay is more than happy to let the buyers pick through what sellers have offered here, and the sellers who eventually fall by the wayside were, basically, put there by the buyers who passed OVER their offerings in enough numbers to cause that seller to fail.  I'd be pretty confident that eBay lets their buyers pretty much pick and choose.

But I can't believe it makes much sense for eBay to carefully monitor rotations of being seen and being hidden, preventing a seller from making sales or *giving* him a few sales (?) to appease him and keep him hanging around?  How would they force the issue of a buyer having to make his purchase from the seller whose turn it now was to get the sale? 

Sadly, I just think there are now far too many sellers dealing in many, many areas of used merchandise when there are not quite enough buyers interested in that stuff to support all the hopeful dealers.  I don't believe eBay limits sales as much as the number of willing buyers hasn't remotely grown in a number that keeps pace with the number of aspiring sellers who've set up shop here.  There just aren't enough buyers, buying enough merchandise, to support this many sellers.

And the same, mostly, for those who deal in lower price *new* merchandise....

Message 116 of 174
latest reply

@mistwomandancing wrote:

@margarenisa_0 wrote:

So EBay shuffles the views around, throttling and limiting some sellers certain times and then showing them at other times. 

Since so many small sellers deal in the used/second hand market of pre-owned merchandise, I don't think there is any need to limit their sales in order to fulfill any promises made to Big Box stores.  The BB's don't deal in what so many of the small sellers here do.  So there would be no reason to need to limit the small seller's sales of used CD's and DVD's or pre-owned jewelry pieces, clothing, dishes, home decor, etc. etc. etc. The Big Box stores aren't dealing in old auto parts, antiques and primitive dough bowls, used golf clubs and fielder's mitts, or a collection of old stamps, political pins, or photographs or Christmas cards from the 1940's.

I think eBay is more than happy to let the buyers pick through what sellers have offered here, and the sellers who eventually fall by the wayside were, basically, put there by the buyers who passed OVER their offerings in enough numbers to cause that seller to fail.  I'd be pretty confident that eBay lets their buyers pretty much pick and choose.

But I can't believe it makes much sense for eBay to carefully monitor rotations of being seen and being hidden, preventing a seller from making sales or *giving* him a few sales (?) to appease him and keep him hanging around?  How would they force the issue of a buyer having to make his purchase from the seller whose turn it now was to get the sale? 

Sadly, I just think there are now far too many sellers dealing in many, many areas of used merchandise when there are not quite enough buyers interested in that stuff to support all the hopeful dealers.  I don't believe eBay limits sales as much as the number of willing buyers hasn't remotely grown in a number that keeps pace with the number of aspiring sellers who've set up shop here.  There just aren't enough buyers, buying enough merchandise, to support this many sellers.

And the same, mostly, for those who deal in lower price *new* merchandise....

Lol

m’kay

Message 117 of 174
latest reply

@margarenisa_0 wrote:

@rschissler wrote:

@margarenisa_0 wrote:

@seafordtradingco wrote:

Rude.

This is is all old news- go do a google search on the EBay employee that leaked all of this and then come back here sans the smart aleck comments.

Trust me, I know all about the famous eBay employee statement, which offers no proof for any of your outlandish opinions.

Message 118 of 174
latest reply

@rschissler wrote:

@margarenisa_0 wrote:

@rschissler wrote:

@margarenisa_0 wrote:

@seafordtradingco wrote:

Rude.

Trust me, I know all about the famous eBay employee statement, which offers no proof for any of your outlandish opinions.

Oh just answering your outlandish question....but in typical EBay cheerleader fashion you’re not providing any facts either.

just personal attacks that the Mods will ignore.

Thats typically how you can tell who’s on the payroll.

Just a fun little observation for those keeping track at home.

Message 119 of 174
latest reply

@margarenisa_0 wrote:

@rschissler wrote:

@margarenisa_0 wrote:

@rschissler wrote:

@margarenisa_0 wrote:

@seafordtradingco wrote:

Rude.

Oh just answering your outlandish question....but in typical EBay cheerleader fashion you’re not providing any facts either.

just personal attacks that the Mods will ignore.

Thats typically how you can tell who’s on the payroll.

Just a fun little observation for those keeping track at home.

You can't make up stuff and then the burden is on someone else to disproove it.

I never made any personal attacks on you.

I'm no more on the payroll than you are for hmmm... it's all clear now. zipper_mouth

Message 120 of 174
latest reply