cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

My Ebay sales are down 69% in the last 30 days!

I went from running 400-500 listings to now this month about 30. The computer algorithms that the eBay "TEAM" (Cough, Cough) cant even generate a single sale now that I have decreased my listing totals. I brought 3 carloads of ebay inventory to the church down the street. They were really happy to have it.

Is anyone else having this huge type of sales drop? Along with that customers are asking me information about the item that I already took time to type into the description which tells me that the click description button is now quietly being implimend.

Message 1 of 174
latest reply
173 REPLIES 173

Re: My Ebay sales are down 69% in the last 30 days!

FWIW try tweaking your listings,and listing new items daily.

Could help!!!

Message 76 of 174
latest reply

No sales at all in the last two weeks or so.  I list one thing per day and have about 80 listings up.

Message 77 of 174
latest reply

I've just noticed something VERY interesting.

Yesterday, I listed some items in the vintage transmission and drivetrain category.  I listed them at about 5 PM - 16 hours ago.

Today, I did a search for them.

Guess what?  Only 4 of them show up in that search.  Which 4 are they?  Three of them have a bunch of views and some watchers.  The other one, while it doesn't have many views and no watchers, is one that sells pretty regularly on Ebay.

The other 4 are getting NO search exposure, so no surprise they have few views and no watchers.

I have several takeaways from this.  As usual, YMMV.

1.  Brand new listings no longer automatically get a boost in search, or if they do, it's very brief.

1a. That means you have a very short time to impress the search engine with your listings.  If a new listing doesn't get instant traffic, views, and sales, it's toast.

2.  That would explain why making the effort to put up new stuff every day no longer has the effect for me of driving my sales up.

3.  We all know Ebay hides listings in search, but now they are brazenly hiding MY listings from ME when I search.  That's never happened before.

What's the solution here?  The only thing I can think of is we'd all better go out and find stuff that will sell instantly.

Message 78 of 174
latest reply

Since I'd hit my limit of 250 BIN's, I decided this week to put up a few auctions. Holy smokes....they're  just as grim.  Doubt I'll get one sale out of them. 

slight_frown

Message 79 of 174
latest reply

I've attributed it to the two hurricanes...  destroyed states, not really going to be purchasing my type of items when they don't have houses...

Message 80 of 174
latest reply

OK, I've done some more poking around.  I have a competitor who sells out of the Nashville area.  He tried to buy me out a few years ago.  He sells way more than I do.  In fact, he sells over 90% of what he lists.  It's unreal.  He has some of the same things I do that I have not sold and not only does he sell them REGULARLY, he sells them for more than my asking price.

I broke down his sales and he runs A LOT of auctions with .01 starting amount.  They are small items with $4 shipping, so he doesn't lose money even if they only go for the start amount.

So I tried an experiment. I took a whole bunch of my slow sellers, and concerted them all to penny auctions.  Too early to tell if it's had an effect.  I'll check back in in a few days.

But, my sales are up due to me selling some more expensive items.  I've had my best week since the first week of August.  Looks like I'll make rent and maybe have enough left over to start working on my new venture again.

Message 81 of 174
latest reply

OK, a couple days on with my auction experiment.  

I've converted about 150 of my slow sellers into penny auctions.  I'm going to go into my storage area this afternoon to collect them all, that way I will make sure I have them plus they will be all in one place, because if they don't sell for a penny, they are going on the swap meet pile.

The other thing I'm doing is going back through my swap meet pile and pulling out items that I put in there because they are worth less than $10.  I didn't want to mess with them, but it has now occured to me that they might be valuable as penny auctions and serve to get my sell through percentage up.

A little less than 10% of these items have bids.  It seems dismal but my current SLR is less than 8%, plus there is still 5 days left before they start ending.

Message 82 of 174
latest reply

One last update in the short term, because I'm sure you're sick of hearing about it.

I've had the best sales day I've had since the first week of August. More than 50% of my sales for the month have come in the last week.

Apparently, all the stuff I've been doing for the last couple of weeks is paying off.  Let's see if I can keep it up or if I hit one of Ebays "velocity limits"

Message 83 of 174
latest reply

Sales are continuing to recover.  I'm still down 27% from August, but views are now only down 6.8%, and impressions are up 12%.

Most auctions did not end with a bidder.  Those items have been removed from my store and are going in the swap meet pile or the garbage, or are going to be used for projects (I have an Etsy store where I sell things made from parts I can't sell).  I'd say 3/4 of the auctions had no bidders.

Of the auctions that ended with bidders, probably 3/4 of those ended at a penny.

The rest ended with more.  The highest was $21.

I made maybe $100 on the auctions, but more importantly, I've been selling a lot more of my high priced items for full asking price.  I've sold completely out of my .060 Ford flathead cylinder sleeves, something that in my experience sells but doesn't exactly fly off the shelves\, and at $100 a pop, that's made me  very happy.

Is this the result of my removing old inventory and listing auctions?  I think it is.  It's given me a higher percentage of sales vs no sales.  The search engine likes that.

I'll check back in in a few weeks.

If anyone is finding this stuff helpful, make a post.  I'd love to hear if anyonse else is being successful at this.

Message 84 of 174
latest reply

Thanks, I only read page 1 and 5 of your discussion , I find it very helpful. I was thinking of doing this with some small lightweight items. I will need to research the whole category to make sure they will sell even at a penny auction.

Did you have any one buy more than one at a penny and ask for a combined shipping savings?

Message 85 of 174
latest reply

Same thing happened to us, sales down appox 35%, a few things i noticed:

• My impressions took a serious dump on Sept 1 (see chart below), happened to others, and ebay is looking into it.... we had 15k to 20k all year then cut in half to 10k
  • The estimated delivery time is way off, they are showing my items shipped to my zip code taking 7 business days. We ship in one day - ground, should show much earlier date.
  • Search engine is not pulling up items we have listed

We been selling on ebay motors for 4 years, never seen sales this slow for so long. Check your traffic data. 

Message 86 of 174
latest reply

@highway58_sales wrote:

Thanks, I only read page 1 and 5 of your discussion , I find it very helpful. I was thinking of doing this with some small lightweight items. I will need to research the whole category to make sure they will sell even at a penny auction.

Did you have any one buy more than one at a penny and ask for a combined shipping savings?

Yeah they do, and I combine shipping for them.  It's not going to make or break the bank for me.  My main objective is to clear out stuff that's been hanging around too long.

Message 87 of 174
latest reply

cad777864 wrote:..........If you try and plant the idea to some that it's just you and what your selling, or the economy, then some actually believe this and go away.  Problem is now, there is far to many of us, and not enough cheerleaders to make us go away.

Why would a *cheerleader* try to make others Go Away, if they are saying they aren't getting the sales, which means... they wouldn't be much competition anyway?  I don't get it.  The ones who AREN'T taking away the sales wouldn't be the ones who are hurting anything.  There ARE sellers who are the ones getting the sales, but those are the ones who likely aren't going to be going away anytime soon.  Smiley Very Happy

And if you look into the sales record in the category/products you deal in and you aren't seeing those sales... what does that tell you about the area you've chosen to sell in here?  If you aren't finding the sales happening, why would you pursue efforts in those areas?

And I guess I'm a cheerleader then, but I and so many family/friends who list AND SELL here face the ups and downs, just like everyone else does.  As you, have been here for years.  Have seen the Hot Items come and go.  Have seen the decorating trends come and go.  Have experienced the results of trying this and trying that until experience sort of fine tunes your techniques for sourcing inventory, for saying yay or nay to inventory choices for the moment we're currently experiencing, teaching you what tweaks help and what don't make a darned bit of difference.

Maybe those who have been in retail sales all their lives... for many, many years before eBay ever came along, sort of roll with the ups and downs a bit more easily.  But yes, there are folks selling here and doing just fine, thank you.  

Message 88 of 174
latest reply

baantiques wrote:

One last update in the short term, because I'm sure you're sick of hearing about it.

I've had the best sales day I've had since the first week of August. More than 50% of my sales for the month have come in the last week.

Apparently, all the stuff I've been doing for the last couple of weeks is paying off.  Let's see if I can keep it up or if I hit one of Ebays "velocity limits"

There is nothing like SALES to help your standing in search in Cassini's *mind*...  Your strategy has leap-frogged you up over a ton of your competitors for some time into the future, just because you MADE your sales come in by the strategy you used.  You were going to pitch this stuff or flea market it, but instead you've made it vault you into a better search position for future sales, and that will help you keep sales coming in, which will help keep you in better position, etc.  Success breeds success, as it were, and you made it happen for you!

Half of the trick is knowing how to make Cassini love you.  heart  And Cassini LOVES sales coming in, the more, the better Cassini loves on ya'.   Smiley Very Happy

Message 89 of 174
latest reply

@baantiques Thanks, yes combining it for them does make sense. I checked the category I wanted to try and see other, bigger sellers doing it at 99 cents with free shipping.
@mistwomandancing I'm sure that years and years of retail does help on being successful online. 🙂
@fast_n_cheap I'm glad you called and ebay is looking into. My traffic reports showed a big drop but I could find my listings in search.
Message 90 of 174
latest reply