cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Multiple Returns - Doesn't Fit

Maybe just more of a vent, but there is a genuine question. We've had 4 return requests for pre-owned clothing items over the past month or so, usually it might be 1 every 2-3 months. 3 claimed wrong size and one was it didn't fit with their current wardrobe. The latest said that the wrong tag was sewn on.  We put dimensions in our listings, especially for pre-owned. Personally I still don't know what my dims are, but if I ordered a piece of clothing that the seller listed the dims would assume that liability when I didn't use that information when I ordered it and just keep it.  Is there anything better we can do than just include the dims? We accept returns, but when the item is $15-20 and we have to pay return shipping is it even worth accepting a return? Or is there a way that the buyer pays return? I know if they claim INAD we do, but can't even challenge it since it's auto-approved. 

Message 1 of 33
latest reply
32 REPLIES 32

Re: Multiple Returns - Doesn't Fit

@varebelrose wrote:

"For example, you sell a shirt for $16 that cost you $2.  Shipping costs about $5.  Pay shipping twice and now you have a total cost of $12 into the shirt.  You resell and ship again and now you have a total cost of $17 into a shirt that sells for $16.  Better to take the first loss of $7. "

Are you saying that a loss of $7 is better than a loss of $1? (Not taking seller time and effort into account, of course)

I would rather take that initial $7 loss rather than, after taking into consideration time and fees, what would be close to that original $7 loss after all is said and done selling it a second time.  But I have the net margins to easily cover this occasional situation.

Message 16 of 33
latest reply

99% of my returns are for doesn’t fit as well and we have measurements in photos. I always accept regardless of the price because I can resell it again and don’t have to refund the original shipping. I have very very little returns so I don’t really care about returns at all, just part of business. 

Message 17 of 33
latest reply

clothing tag size means nothing on new or used clothing for the past 20 years unless you only buy a certain brand that you know well.

I wear adidas 2xl shirt

3xl for under Amour shirt and then it runs long in length

Nike is a gamble. 3xl is best choice. They still manufacture clothing and shoes as if it is still the 1970's

Used clothing will shrink based on material content and how they are washed

Message 18 of 33
latest reply

if you're listing the dim's, material content, clean photos, and full details, I would turn off free returns.

Buyer needs to take the time to review listing and ask questions before bidding / buying. 

Message 19 of 33
latest reply

jeans.png

Message 20 of 33
latest reply

@laststopgeneralstore wrote:

99% of my returns are for doesn’t fit as well and we have measurements in photos. 

I'd be curious how many households have a clothing-type tape measure anymore. I have one (or two, or . . . ), but I have to wonder how many people own one. Since most clothing (not all) is identified by a particular size rather than by measurements, I can see how people might not find measurements all that helpful in making an appropriate purchase decision. Not defending, just saying I'm not surprised.

Message 21 of 33
latest reply

I'd be curious how many households have a clothing-type tape measure anymore. I have one (or two, or . . . ), but I have to wonder how many people own one. Since most clothing (not all) is identified by a particular size rather than by measurements, I can see how people might not find measurements all that helpful in making an appropriate purchase decision. Not defending, just saying I'm not surprised.

Agreed on most do not have a sewing style measuring tape. Most people do not even know what and how to measure themselves as well. 

I think the point is that if you list as much info as you can to identify what you are selling, it gives the buyer a little less chance of making any excuses. Not to say it will prevent returns but its more about reducing the options and / or excuses. 

I believe many buyers will understand that and allows the possibility of taken back the item without having to pay any shipping costs. Of course there are those who will take advantage and that will never stop.

Message 22 of 33
latest reply

If customer uses reason "does not fit" in return request (they have to pay ALL shipping costs).    If they say "not as described" you pay all shipping.

I suggest you add this statement in big RED LETTERS (clothing sizes are NOT standardized...be sure to measure "your own clothing" and compare to measurements shown in listing).

Message 23 of 33
latest reply

People buy-try-return like it’s their hobby, and these folks will look for sellers who *gladly* take returns—especially free returns—and they will exploit the ever loving sh** out of it.

I reached my limit and stopped offering returns for clothing and shoes in late 2019 and all returns in 2020. I don’t regret it one bit. My return rate is     currently 0.42% (1 INAD, 4 remorse). I noticed the quality of buyers greatly improved once I switched to no-returns policy. Furthermore, I eliminated a lot of stress and wasted time spent on these low-value buyers and their shenanigans.

I mean I still get the occasional PITA, but nothing like when I had 30-day returns and things were rented, sent back with lipstick stains, or reeking of perfume and cat peee.

Maybe you need to think about a strategy to reduce your return rate, or just stop taking them entirely and deal with each case-by-case.

Learn why buyers are requesting returns. For me, it was INADS for chest measurements being “not as described” (when they actually were), so now I show the tape measure in my photos. This eliminated  measurement related INADs, especially with belts and tops.

C1FB311F-A115-45FE-8167-88A8AD460177.jpeg

List all measurements. Chest; shoulder; length; hip; waist; inseam; sleeve length, etc. Measure the insoles of shoes.

Does it stretch a lot or a little? 4-way stretch? Is the fabric heavy or flowy or scratchy? Show the fabric content tag.

If a buyer lowballs, is rude, has doubts or too many fit-related questions, block them. They will be a problem, guaranteed. There’s nothing rude about protecting yourself from toxic buyers.

Good condition vs very good means what exactly?  It’s subjective. Be detailed,  “minor wash wear throughout; light pilling on the sleeve cuffs; small tea-colored stain by the hem” along with photos noting each flaw. 

I was on board when free returns were made a requirement for TRS+.  Those first two weeks, I had 7—yes 7 remorse returns: didn’t like; changed mind; no longer needed; didn’t fit. I noped the heck out of free returns by the third week.

Continued accepting 30-day buyer paid, but kept getting dishonest SNADs for shoes and clothes.

My 30-day doormat policy was attracting this type of clothing buyer who would open a return for whatever reason. They don’t care about being dishonest b/c eBay has enabled this entitled buyer behavior.

Message 24 of 33
latest reply

No time to read all the answers right now, but as a clothing seller myself, I am No Returns.  Right now some of my listings have returns b/c I'm testing something, but for most of my 25 years on eBay, I've been no returns.   When you are No Returns AND they open a Remorse Reason return, you can decline it.  Now everyone's gonna say, yeah but they'll just open it as a SNAD & you'll be forced to accept it.  That CAN happen.  Depending on your demographic, it may happen a lot or it may only happen on occasion.   For me, it's happened more last year than ever before, but that was only 3x.  My demographic is generally honest.  

You could also Accept returns with them paying shipping.  I don't understand why you're paying shipping?  Again this only applies to properly filed returns, so same caveat as above applies.   

I love being No Returns & I rarely even get requests for a return.  I must say I do experience some stress that the honest people get their returns denied, while the liars, get theirs allowed, but that is eBay's doing, not mine.  I would decline them all if I could.    

AFAIC it's on the buyer to know their measurements when purchasing online.  If you are a woman, you can NEVER go by the tagged size, even in NEW clothes.  

This one goes to Eleven - Nigel Tufnel

Simply-the-best-for-you Volunteer Community Mentor
eBay Seller since 1996

Message 25 of 33
latest reply

Oops, ran out of edit time & just want to add 1 thing.  As a clothing seller, make sure that YOU know how to properly measure clothing & that you NEVER use a ruler or yardstick.  That is a glaring red flag that the clothing seller has no idea what they're doing as far as clothing is concerned.   

I have been schooled by buyers who want to return for a 1/2" difference & they are using a ruler or are measuring incorrectly & don't know it.   As a buyer, if I see a wooden measuring device, I back out of the listing 9 times out of 10. 

eBay Seller since 1996

Message 26 of 33
latest reply

Keep in mind that people are used to doing returns with BIG retailers. Some people will buy 5 similar items of different sizes, try them on, then return what they don't want. BIG retailers can handle returns. Unfortunately, this consumer mindset spills over to ebay but it is a burden for ebay sellers. I try to stay away from selling clothes.

Message 27 of 33
latest reply

I buy based on the tag size - I don’t care to know my dims.

Should we assume you are male?

Because while a Size 12 in women's clothing might be 34-26.5 -36 in sewing patterns (the one place where sizing is consistent even between publishers) vanity sizing is so prevalent that a Size 12 might fit a 32" bust or a 40" bust.  And that might even be if the manufacturer is the the same.

And to make things more difficult, some sellers use a size chart instead of actually getting out the tape measure.

We put dimensions in our listings, especially for pre-owned.

I have seen one poster who shows the tape measure on the garment.

Unfortunately, she sells runway/designer clothes most of which would not fit my arm never mind torso.

Message 28 of 33
latest reply

Even men's clothing isn't consistent (I wear men's pants and sometimes shirts a fair amount - oooo...I guess I'm in trouble for that these days).  I have pants anywhere from 32" to 35" waist that fit the same. It's nuts. The DH is similar.

When you dine with leopards, it is wise to check the menu lest you find yourself as the main course.

#freedomtoread
#readbannedbooks
Message 29 of 33
latest reply

@gdiesel70  Underrated comment.   The OP's listings are VERY bare bones.  I do all the things gdiesel reccomended except I don't photograph with a tape measure.  It take me longer to do a listing, but I have VERY few return requests.   I describe in great detail, ie; descibe like there are no photos & photograph like there is no description.  

Also, not sure if @this-that-and-then-some  is still here, but there's a product called Sizely that a lot of sellers use, which may help you.  It shows a drawing representation of the item & the measurements overlaid on it.  I trialed it & I liked it, but for me, it was just an extra step I didn't want to do, since I don't have many issues.  But that visual representation can help buyers & many clothing sellers love the product (I have no affiliation with them).   It won't help with the buyers who don't know their measurements though.   

As for @pburn question about tape measures.  I think it depends on the age of the buyer.  But judging by the number of wooden & metal measuring devices in clothing sellers pics, I would say very few.  My buyers skew older female & many of my buyer's do have one.  Clothing sellers s/b using a flexible tape measure & as I learned from @chapeau-noir ages ago, should replace them periodically b/c they do tend to stretch out with use, over time. 

ETA:  Sizely is not free, but it's not particularly expensive IIRC. 

eBay Seller since 1996

Message 30 of 33
latest reply