cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Mortified That Lowest Price Sort IS NOT LOWEST PRICE

I’ve had plenty of competition on certain products. We work under MAP pricing, but the company allowed us to free sell through Black Friday weekend. I’ve had a few quilts for about six months and they are definitely popular items. I set mine lower than anyone’s price so I could get these moved and pay off my debt. Sadly, for myself and especially for buyers that they are being tricked! When you set lowest price, it does not mean it is lowest price. I was told by a rep that it does NOT matter because ANCHOR STORES go first regardless. This seems fraudulent for the buyers. If I were not privy to how eBay works, I would believe and “trust” that I am looking at the lowest price so why scroll down. Granted Anchor stores deserve to sell more since they pay more, BUT WHY DO THIS TO BUYERS? I have numerous screenshots that show how this really goes. Any suggestions or feedback? I am going to refuse promoted listings as they do NOT promote my listings! A few of my products did NOT show at all!

Message 1 of 38
latest reply
37 REPLIES 37

Re: Mortified That Lowest Price Sort IS NOT LOWEST PRICE

Sorry but that search has been proven to be wrong WAY TO MANY TIMES.

I do this search everyday and still find cheaper things than what is posted first.  As a buyer this is Ebay telling me they could care less what I want as a buyer, as a seller it just infuriates me.

Rich 

Message 16 of 38
latest reply

Why can't you black out business names on the screenshot?

I never had an issue with sort by price. Remember that it factors in ship cost and that Sponsored listings can always appear out of order, but they will have Sponsored text to show it's a paid placement.

Can you provide a direct search link or search terms for a search that's appearing out of order?

Message 17 of 38
latest reply

I just looked at one of my basic Searches (Firefly Serenity ) and there is no

Lowest Price First.

There is a LOWEST PRICE PLUS SHIPPING.

Big difference.

Huge.

Then I reduced to "Firefly Serenity Kaylee" and pulled the first four identical items (a tee)

In order they were priced at (for shipping to 90210)

• $2 (plus shipping $3.75) (NB used)
  • $6.99 (plus shipping$8.45)
  • $6.99 (plus shipping $8.45)
  • $29.99 (Free Shipping).

The last one is actually my own listing.  And those are the only listings of a fairly scarce item.

Message 18 of 38
latest reply

It's not just the anchor stores, it's any seller who has chosen to pay extra to have their listings promoted.

Just think, you too can have your overpriced items listed on top of the results, if you're willing to pay.

Pay to play, it's the selling game, google's been doing it for a long time.

Message 19 of 38
latest reply

@caninekopz wrote:.  It is truely a ruse to the peopel who buy and sell, and terribly non-transparent.

I suppose it is a ruse to the people who sell, but I believe sellers are eBays customers, so if you sign a contract to allow they to order searches of your listing any way they want, they got you.

However, I think there is an argument for fraud in the case of a buyer. You are not allowed to bait and switch nor false advertising. AT ALL. If the fine print in your flyer says "prices may change the second you actually try to buy something" or some rot, that is still considered a come-on and fraud if they do not meet the advertised price.

There could be an argument made (by an Attorney General) that having a drop down option to order items by lowest price, and then not ordering them by lowest in order to promote a "big seller" is a form of price deception and fraud.

Not sure if the California State Attorney General has the only jurisdiction in this case, if so there is no reason to discuss anything shady that eBay might be doing. They could randomly shoot buyers for any reason at all, and I'd expect the State of California to defend their right to do so.

Is it shady? yes. Is it illegal? probably. Will anything be done about it? not on your life.

Message 20 of 38
latest reply

"I'd like to see some of your "numerous screenshots", I use the Lowest Price sort frequently and it always seems correct (other than for Variation listings with a bogus super cheap item as one variation)."

I don't need to see a screenshot. I've seen it happen. I also sort by lowest + shipping and numerous times I'll find an item...scroll down through the description and voila! Two rows of similar items, some higher in price and some lower. So it does not show the lowest first off. Not always.

Message 21 of 38
latest reply

Or you buy the lowest plus shipping and then you are checking out and in the little window at the bottom, you are shown a cheaper, same item seller, so it entices the buyer to cancel the order and then buy the cheaper.....no penalties for that anymore.  Ebay just gathers the fees, cancellation, return, FFV all the you may or may not get refunded.  Just playing the roulette game. 

Rich 

Message 22 of 38
latest reply

@slippinjimmy

@orangehound

and @ anyone else who was curious for screenshots, I have some displaying various problems today, and I've only searched for maybe 30 mins this morning, and a few minutes after lunch time, and I found these 2 issues in that short of time span.

1) Searching one of our more popular items (Engine/Motor Mount 3211), here is the first screenshot: https://www.screencast.com/t/ch8naDZ7M

Now notice, 574 results, and the message saying "We removed some search results to show you the most relevant listings". 

So that means they are hiding some listings, and hitting this button should display them, correct? Let's take a look at what happens when I hit this button: https://www.screencast.com/t/KNDeC60p

Now 574 results (not displaying all), once I hit display all, is showing 572 results? Impossible!

To make sure some listings were not changed during that time, I attempted the search again, which gave the same results as the first time, and then once I hit the button to display all again, visible listings DECREASE by 2. 

Also, notice the first item? The first search with 574 results said the cheapest item was $17.31. Second search - with 572 results, said the cheapest item was $14.62?? Where was the $14.62 item the first time? Maybe it was hidden as the message DID say some items were not included, but if that one was hidden, and now our results are 2 less, then THREE of the items appearing before had somehow disappeared!!!

Clear display of a different issue that I described in search, but it can not be argued that this is incorrect performance of the eBay search engine.

2) Now here is an example of the issue I was discussing in my earlier post. 

Searching another one of our items, motor/transmission mount 1609, sorted by price. Our item is listed at $33.10, free shipping. These are the results I found at first: https://www.screencast.com/t/anEeGIu4MNxo

Where is our item??? (This also displays another issue with eBay search, bringing up many mounts that actually do NOT match the searched item).

So then when I try switching it back to best match, here's the results: https://www.screencast.com/t/cb6LZ2vW

There's our listing! This is a good example as well, because this is one of our older listings that have not been updated yet, so it has the very noticable border, which makes it easily distinguishable.

Now I want you to switch back and forth between those 2 screenshots. Compare them and do you see anything wrong with this picture...?

The first search - sorted by price - yields 52 results??? Best match yields 80 results??? 

A very obvious example of exactly what I was describing! 

To further investigate, I tried switching it back to sorted by price again, and received even MORE different results: https://www.screencast.com/t/aM4QhgBV

Very different from the prior search, and showing even more of what I mentioned earlier - a list of items that do NOT match the search query, and are completely different products! I had to scroll down to even find our listing, and this is where I found it this time: https://www.screencast.com/t/XrngQ5Q6r

It's now in the correct place. This is why I've said many times, how when people on the forum here say "I'm searching your items they are showing up fine!" it does not mean anything! The issues are intermittent! 

You can also see the item that was appearing #1 before,  is scrolled down 1 spot ahead of us. with OTHER items that were also not appearing in the earlier search! 

Anyway, people wanted examples, here you go! And again, it didn't take long to find these issues. Just take a little time to search your own items, and pay attention to the "X results" message on the top left of the page...

Message 23 of 38
latest reply

Interesting, thank you for the examples.

Message 24 of 38
latest reply

Not only that, but you have to really look at titles and part numbers. 

eBay Search often has "Results matching fewer words" --- which nearly always contain titles which are considerably longer, making the claim of "fewer words" farcical.  Adding to the what-the-heck factor, it's entirely possible to run a search and have X results show, but when you look at the listings with similar part numbers, guess what?  Yep, scattered throughout those results are titles with the same manufacturer and/or part number as the one you've just searched.

eBay Search is so broken, it defies reason.

~M

Message 25 of 38
latest reply

Your posting was very helpful.  Thank you!grinning

Message 26 of 38
latest reply

When I was looking to see if I could find an example of the price + shipping not showing in the correct order for your items I noticed that you have a number of items in the quilt category that are definitely not quilts, bedspreads or coverlets.  That probably has nothing to do with your initial post but it may affect your sales and/or search standings.

In the Quilts category....

wallets & handbags

tree skirts

candleholder

shower curtains, window curtains

shams

Message 27 of 38
latest reply

The search you are talking about is impossible. Do you really think you can have buyers see your item first for $12.95 when searching for a quilt. Ebay needs to completely remove this tactic and I for one am very glad when I search quilt I do not see your $12.95 quilt show up first. I would have to click and find out $12.95 is for a pillow or whatever was thrown into the mix other than a quilt. When buyers search for a specific item they want the lowest price FOR THAT  ITEM.

Message 28 of 38
latest reply

What rich said. This has been the case for years. I just sort by price, and then skip to the second to last page of search when buying. Thats where all the bbest priced stuff actually is.
Message 29 of 38
latest reply

@zamo-zuan

Your situation is completely different because it is so oversaturated there is no way EBay is going to show 550 motor mounts in the order you wish. It goes by pages and buyers are not going to search more than one page of the same item. You would need to lower your prices enough to actually be the lowest to land on the first page in that specific search mode. Why would a buyer searching lowest first with shipping want to see more than one page of the same item.

Message 30 of 38
latest reply