cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

List All of Your Favorite eBay Programming/Policy Blunders

I imagine this list might get quite long, starting with the latest dumpster-fire of a decision:

1- moving all fixed price listings to Good Till Closed.  Putting many out of business overnite, a real doozey.

2- the Guaranteed Delivery fiasco.  Do you use it … is it even functional? Total garbage policy

3- Tracking Uploaded and Validated.  Ever go on vacation, or have a slow package?  Just don't … it's your fault

4- Returns will be accepted and paid for by the seller.  Even if you get an empty box back, just eat it foo

5- No negative feedback.  All buyers are choirboys, right?

6- 14 day wait to put your items on sale.  Just ask about that at any retail store and get a blank stare back.

7- 10% Final Value Fee on shipping.  Not even legal I understand.

8- Charging sales tax on shipping.  I don't charge the buyer sales tax on shipping, but eBay charges me

9- 'Buy it Now' option.  How about just 'Add to Cart' like every other website.  So confusing, multiple payments

10- Combined invoices.  Customer asks for one, but the programming stinks still today, and they have to pay twice

11- refunds.  So I've refunded for combined shipping, but do I get my refund for FVF on shipping …. NOT

So what are some of your favorites?

Message 1 of 7
latest reply
6 REPLIES 6

Re: List All of Your Favorite eBay Programming/Policy Blunders

1) Mandating that phone numbers be removed from all listing descriptions.  Not uniformly enforcing the violation or having the technology in place to enforce the problem.

2) The inability to combine shipping on items that do not have similar shipping methods.  (Example, USPS first class for one item and USPS small flat for the other)  System does not allow combining.

3)  Not having a system in place that allows a buyer to change the delivery address once they realize that the address on file is incorrect.  EBAY's work around is for the seller to cancel the sale, ask the buyer to update their address in pay pal and ebay and purchase the item again.  (CAN YOU SAY STUPID & BAD CUSTOMER EXPERIENCE!)

4)  The inability to block purchases from certain states or provinces.

I know there are more, but that is a start.

Message 2 of 7
latest reply

Only one really biggie, and it's an oldie but a goodie - taking away payment method choices and requiring Paypal only.  Close to half my buyers were cash/money order customers, and when Ebay took away their payment methods of choice a lot never came back.

All the rest I can deal with.

The easier you are to offend the easier you are to control.

We seem to be getting closer and closer to a situation where nobody is responsible for what they did but we are all responsible for what somebody else did. - Thomas Sowell
Message 3 of 7
latest reply

Your list is quite spot on actually.

1) Giving seller's return metrics a ding when a buyer opens a SNAD return but then fails to ship item back.
2) Giving seller's return metrics a ding for false SNAD's where seller PROVES the buyer is nothing but a liar!
3) Not being able to cancel a sale for any reason necessary without receiving a penalty against your metrics.
4) Trying to force you to ship to a buyer that is on a seller's BBL because gosh they really must want the item.
5) NOT changing a false SNAD to a buyer remorse return when buyer openly admits to buyer remorse reasons.

Everything Ebay does is in EBay's bottom line best interest. That's why they have all these penalties in place that doesn't even make sense most times, because at the end of the day on the return metrics, even when you can PROVE that you done nothing in error, if you get too many that means an extra 5% for Ebay. I agree though the 10% FVF on shipping should be illegal, they are making money from a service they do NOT provide. But then they make guarantees on a ship service, which they don't provide, that even the shipping service doesn't guarantee LOL! One clown short a circus!!!
Message 4 of 7
latest reply

@seymourssi wrote:

I imagine this list might get quite long, starting with the latest dumpster-fire of a decision:

1- moving all fixed price listings to Good Till Closed.  Putting many out of business overnite, a real doozey.

2- the Guaranteed Delivery fiasco.  Do you use it … is it even functional? Total garbage policy

3- Tracking Uploaded and Validated.  Ever go on vacation, or have a slow package?  Just don't … it's your fault

4- Returns will be accepted and paid for by the seller.  Even if you get an empty box back, just eat it foo

5- No negative feedback.  All buyers are choirboys, right?

6- 14 day wait to put your items on sale.  Just ask about that at any retail store and get a blank stare back.

7- 10% Final Value Fee on shipping.  Not even legal I understand.

8- Charging sales tax on shipping.  I don't charge the buyer sales tax on shipping, but eBay charges me

9- 'Buy it Now' option.  How about just 'Add to Cart' like every other website.  So confusing, multiple payments

10- Combined invoices.  Customer asks for one, but the programming stinks still today, and they have to pay twice

11- refunds.  So I've refunded for combined shipping, but do I get my refund for FVF on shipping …. NOT

So what are some of your favorites?

1. eBay Home Page sign-in error for almost 2 months.
  2. Valid Negative Feedback for bad high-volume sellers improperly removed.
  3. Watched Item List photos not displaying.
  4. Community Boards Notification Feed still not working properly.

Message 5 of 7
latest reply

-Losing well constructed drafts after 45 days before I get a chance to list.

I'll do a draft of an item I want to sell, so I don't forget about it. I then prioritize which get listed first. Some items get lower in the list as time passes. Then all of a sudden... gone. Hours of work down the drain. Happened a few times but not again. Don't understand why they put such strict limits on such a useful tool.

Message 6 of 7
latest reply

Pay for a store to get fewer benefits. 

No store no fees to add buy it now to auctions

No store list in any category without additional fees. 

No store no additional fees to schedule start times for auctions and BIN listings

Pay for a store Pay for more get less

Pay more fees to add BIN to auction

Pay more fees for most auction categories

Pay additional fees to schedule start times- I am an early riser, having auctions end at 4AM to 5Am is not great for sales. 

Message 7 of 7
latest reply