cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

List 5 items free

I have been waiting for a good listing promo and I finally had a banner on ebay say I won't pay the fvf on 5 items listed between today and July 12th.

Ready for for the kicker. I click on activate offer and it says that it's for invited sellers Only. How am I not an invited seller when it is advertised on my account?

https://pages.ebay.com/promo/2017/0706/sell5forfree.html?_trkparms=%26clkid%3D5875923294279366155

Message 1 of 11
latest reply
10 REPLIES 10

Re: List 5 items free

That's because, as usual eBay launched something without checking it out to make sure it functions correctly. I got the same ads, and when I click them, I get the "something went wrong" page. 

Message 2 of 11
latest reply

Thanks. It's the first good promo I have received in a while and it doesn't work. So frustrating!!
Message 3 of 11
latest reply

Isn't that the way it always works. Something you want comes along and it glitches.

Message 4 of 11
latest reply

I don't know why the link doesn't work, but this happens all the time.  Half the promos don't work, whether pressing a link on a banner or in an email from eBay.  I'm used to it by now.  I believe you have to list after activating to be eligible, and the length of the promo period is limited to a short period of time.  We've already lost time by not being allowed to participate right away.   There is time for them to fix the problem, but I don't foresee them extending the promotional period.   Indexing and pictures were problems today.   If you ever do get the offer activated, you'll then have to list the items if you can get even get the pictures to work.  And then you may have to wait up to 24 hours for the items to show up in the system.  Also, the free 500 listing offer partially overlaps with this promo by like a day.   If you want to list with the 500 free listings promo and pay no final value fees, you may have already ran out of time.  Maybe everything will "magically" begin to work tomorrow, when the 500 free listing promo has expired, and the zero final value fees promo is already well underway.  As usual, no announcements by eBay in several weeks (why does that page even exist?), and customer service claims they've never heard about any of this.  Seems to be common for many big companies to say all systems are fully functional and that there are no reports of any problems these days.  Most of the time it takes a lot of bad publicity before they ever admit anything.  If they don't officially admit to a problem, then they can ignore it entirely or for a long time, and they can justify not doing anything about it.   

Message 5 of 11
latest reply

Thanks for your imput. I tried to activate again this morning it it still isn't working. This is literally the first promo and months that has been worth activating. I haven't received any of the free listing ones. I only got the useless "save 20% of fvf when selling nike shoes" and another one for selling guitars. I didn't bother activating either one of them.
On the flip side I have received a ton of extra bucks offers which I have have used but I can't keep buying if I can't list.
Message 6 of 11
latest reply

@cleaningoutmyclosets17 wrote:
Thanks for your imput. I tried to activate again this morning it it still isn't working. This is literally the first promo and months that has been worth activating. I haven't received any of the free listing ones. I only got the useless "save 20% of fvf when selling nike shoes" and another one for selling guitars. I didn't bother activating either one of them.
On the flip side I have received a ton of extra bucks offers which I have have used but I can't keep buying if I can't list.

So call eBay and let a CS rep handle the problem for you.  I do not have issues that come up that a CS rep can not help me with, so this forum although can give you lots of opinions, none of us can help you solve this problem.

Calls go through very fast for me, so they should be able to resolved your problem quickly if you actually call.

Come back and tell us what the solution is .

Good Luck Selling!

Message 7 of 11
latest reply

you didn't know the handshake, but next time you may...and you'll be invited too.

not everyone gets to use every Promo... it happens....

Message 8 of 11
latest reply

Most of the time customer service won't do much, but they will still put you on a long hold before telling you that you're out of luck.  I guess they want you to hang up during the hold.  When actually talking to them, they spend most of the time trying to end the call.

If there is a problem like this, they may say it's a "glitch" and claim that they will report it to the right department.  Do they actually report it?  Did your call make a difference?  It's not possible to tell because they normally don't followup with you directly.

Much of the time they will cite fine print from the site.  There is fine print to cover everything, so this is always an option.  They can say you were never invited in this case.

They frequently just blame you by saying you never tried to activate to begin with.  This means they are calling you a liar.

Very rarely they will claim to take notes for your account AND at least promise to give you the benefits of a promotion for which you are eligible.  They might tell you that it won't show up until the invoice, and if it doesn't, to contact them.  By that time, you may have forgotten altogether.  You really need them to email this promise to you and remember to check the invoice for the benefit.  Most of the time you don't get any email.  Unless you get it in an email that can be found in the eBay messaging system, it's your word against theirs.  They will even look at your messages for the email and tell you that they don't see anything.  You realize you're pretty much out of luck at this point.  Much of the time they pretend they can't find any notes.  You may have corresponding reference numbers, but most of the time they don't want them when you call back or can't find any notes with them anyway.  Most customers people just give up at some point because all the effort doesn't seem to be going anywhere.

Everything depends on the amount of effort put forth by you and customer service, and the amount of effort warranted by you depends on the benefit.  In this case, it depends on the amount you'd save if you sold the items under the promotion.  If you are selling expensive items, you could save a lot.  If you are selling dollar items, it's not worth any effort to get the discount.

Message 9 of 11
latest reply

I got this issue as well. They have fixed these promotions in the past, usually not expanding the 'list by' window to make up for their promotions being dysfunctional. A ghetto, unprofessional and unfair way of doing things, but that's ebay for you. Their promotions are always messed up in one way or another.

Message 10 of 11
latest reply

@bigdogsportscards wrote:

Most of the time customer service won't do much, but they will still put you on a long hold before telling you that you're out of luck.  I guess they want you to hang up during the hold.  When actually talking to them, they spend most of the time trying to end the call.

Nope.  we do not have your experiences when we call CS.  we use the call me back option and in the last maybe dozen times contacting them it has always been one minute delay except one time it was 8 minutes.

When they have to put us on hold it is for 2 minute intervals, where they return and apologize for another 2 minute wait while they assemble the correct info for us. 

We rarely have any issues when we call and,  we call more than most because we complete over 1000 transactions monthly on eBay which more attention is requires because of the volumn. 

We also already pretty much know all the answers when we call because we are experienced sellers who try to follow the user agreement instead of looking for loopholes. 

Because we know how the platform works we already have the correct info to share with our CSR person and we take control of the call from the beginning, leaving only an action response from the CSR person.

Good Luck Selling!

Message 11 of 11
latest reply