cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Likely scam, what would you do?

I'm selling a cpu, and a buyer with zero feedback and a Chinese name buys the item last night. The address is a known freight forwarder that is popular with computer parts scammers (1140 River Rd, Newcastle, DE), especially CPUs. 

I don't KNOW that this is a scam, but it sure smells like one. If if quacks like a duck...

What would you do?

I already purchased a label, but haven't shipped yet. Was going to, but then I looked at the label and the fishy 'apt'.

Thanks people!

Message 1 of 34
latest reply
33 REPLIES 33

As long as payment is in your PP account and you ship to the address shown (I would use ebay labels, that way address is automatic), I would ship it. Many international buyers use these freight forwarders and I have shipped to the one in DE, in FL, in CA and never an issue. 

Message 2 of 34
latest reply

I should add a few things regarding the modus of this scam. Once they receive the item, they immediate initiate a return, using a the "same zip code scam".

Here are some discussions around this sort of scam:

https://badbuyerlist.org/buyer/2efc452796f2e37e48e98ee5

https://community.ebay.com/t5/Selling/Same-zip-code-RETURN-scam/td-p/28399338/page/3

https://community.ebay.com/t5/Shipping-Returns/Got-scammed-by-a-known-scammer-what-do-I-do/m-p/30080...

Message 3 of 34
latest reply

All freight forwarders have some scammers, just like Ebay.

``````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````

“Never pick a fight with an ugly person. They don’t have anything to lose.” ~Robin Williams
Message 4 of 34
latest reply

@bonjourami Sure. So in this specific case (brand new user, zero rating, freight forwarder address commonly used by computer parts scammer, common scam pattern), would you ship?

Message 5 of 34
latest reply

If you can't afford to lose the item, you might want to cancel the order citing a problem with the buyer's address.   

If an item sells here once, it will likely sell again.

Then I would consider relisting the item with the global shipping program.  Not sure if the same scam will work once ebay is directly involved as the middle man, or if maybe it would be a worse case to deal with because they are involved as the middle man.

Message 6 of 34
latest reply

I would cancel the order.

Reason for cancellation: Sounds Fishy

Papa Was A Rolling Stone - The Temptations
Message 7 of 34
latest reply

Scammers of the type you describe are far more likely to be domestic (much easier for them to do), and they usually do it for far more than a $43 item. But since you distrust the buyer so much, you should cancel the sale...both you and the buyer will be happier.

Message 8 of 34
latest reply

Thats up to you, cant imagine a $43 international scam,but you never know. And when I used to ship internationally, I did ship to that freight forwarder..for items worth a lot more than $43, never a problem..but your decision of course. But I agree with the previous poster, if you are that worried, cancel.

``````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````

“Never pick a fight with an ugly person. They don’t have anything to lose.” ~Robin Williams
Message 9 of 34
latest reply

First, the odds of this being a scam start with price.  But the New Castle Delaware address is eBay's International Forwarding Company.  And maybe, just maybe, this guy needs a CPU.

Learn before you tell us that you KNOW THAT IT'S A SCAM BECAUSE THAT'S A KNOWN SITE FOR COMPUTER PARTT SCAMMERS.  you were wrong once, want to try two out of three?

Good Moms let you lick the Beaters.

Great Moms turn them off first.
Message 10 of 34
latest reply

The time to assess one’s risk tolerance is prior to listing. Once the sale is complete, the obligation falls on the seller to ship the item.

Trying to manage one’s risk after the sale can lead to problems. Canceling transactions can get defects leveled on one’s account. In this case, there is nothing wrong with the address, using that reason to cancel would be untruthful. Should the buyer complain to eBay, it would make the seller look very bad, and put them on eBay’s radar.

If it was my transaction, i’d follow the same practice as with any sale: they pay, i ship. If there is a problem afterwards, then i’d deal with it then rather than anticipate trouble that might never happen. (This practice has stood me in good stead—have never had a case of buyer fraud In ten years.) So whatever you decide, best of luck to you moving forward, and please keep us apprised of the outcome.

Message 11 of 34
latest reply

The OP has no valid reason.  The buyer has done nothing suspicious.

Good Moms let you lick the Beaters.

Great Moms turn them off first.
Message 12 of 34
latest reply

'Sounds fishy' isn't a valid reason?

lol

Message 13 of 34
latest reply

@divwido wrote:

The OP has no valid reason.  The buyer has done nothing suspicious.

@divwido 

And therein lies the joke.

Message 14 of 34
latest reply

@xl00 wrote:

I should add a few things regarding the modus of this scam. Once they receive the item, they immediate initiate a return, using a the "same zip code scam".

Here are some discussions around this sort of scam:

https://badbuyerlist.org/buyer/2efc452796f2e37e48e98ee5

https://community.ebay.com/t5/Selling/Same-zip-code-RETURN-scam/td-p/28399338/page/3

https://community.ebay.com/t5/Shipping-Returns/Got-scammed-by-a-known-scammer-what-do-I-do/m-p/30080...

First of all, that "bad buyer list" is a totally unregulated, unsubstantiated, uncontrolled libelous website--and no, before you ask, my id's not on it. Anyone can post any kind of smack about anyone else on that site. It's complete junk.

Second, if you're going to read every single thread about every single scam anyone's ever pulled on eBay--both buyers and sellers--you're never going to ship anything. ANY transaction can end up going south. I could buy a $2 keychain from you and claim you didn't describe it correctly. You're not going to pay for return shipping, so, VOILA! It's mine!

You don't have a legitimate reason for not shipping to this buyer's "ship to" address. You don't have an honest reason to cancel, among the cancellation reasons provided to sellers by eBay. So, in order to cancel, you'd have to lie, and then we'll see your id on that "bad buyers list" and be reading a thread about how a seller cancelled a transaction for no good reason--and we'll all advise the buyer to report the seller.

Message 15 of 34
latest reply