cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Let's see how much evidence we can come up with for return fraud.

We're getting hit yet again with return fraud issues. Nothing new, but this will be a record $1040 return for us and so if we can fight it we will. Anyone want to make bets on whether or not eBay cares? I'm betting it won't make a difference, but at least it'll be a fun Youtube video and might earn us some ad revenue. Usually we wouldn't fight it and would chalk it up to cost of doing business (on eBay, that's not a legitimate CODB anywhere else. Try returning a box of rocks to WalMart and see what happens), but for this one our Youtube subscribers might find it interesting and I will see to it that it gets blasted across social media.

For context, buyer buys item. Buyer receives item. A week later buyer sends pictures of the part he pulled out of his vehicle and states that it's damaged. Well yeah, that's why you bought a good one from us. We respond that he is welcome to return the item, but it must be in the same condition with matching serial numbers or we will pursue legal action. Sometimes that scares people off if they're returning something that isn't what we sent them, but people who know what they're doing know those are empty threats. The pictures he sent us are very obviously not what we sent him. I mocked up some comparison photos and attached them here. 

So the current plan is this. All of our returns go to the local UPS store so we can have witnesses when opening them, and they have a notary on staff for statements. Step 1 will be to open the package on camera there with a witness. With printed photos from the listing, the witness will confirm that it is not the same as the one in the listing photos. A statement that the item is not what we sent them will be notarized, all in one take on camera. 

Step 2 will be the usual police reports, IC3 reports, and mail fraud reports. Case numbers will be documented and included in our video. It will be noted that filing false police reports is a felony and so there is literally nothing more we can do to establish that we received a different item. A signed and notarized affidavit, police report numbers, and recorded evidence is as good as it gets for establishing that the returned item is not what was sent out.

Step 3 will be to harass the ever living stuff out of eBay CS, again all on camera. It will be pointed out that a 50% refund will still be a $500 loss to us, and to eBay as well when the buyer appeals that and gets a courtesy refund from eBay as is standard practice when issuing less than 100% on a return. 

Step 4 will either be to profit or get **bleep** and post the complete video documenting the fraud and eBay's lack of support with an inflammatory title literally everywhere I can and wait to get banned for some obscure clause in the seller agreement. Possibly sue in small claims court if I feel like taking a vacation to California. 

Sound good? I don't actually expect to get anywhere, because we all know that no matter what the buyer always wins. But it sure would give me a bit of satisfaction to be a bigger than average thorn in this garbage company's side.

Message 1 of 12
latest reply
11 REPLIES 11

Any serial numbers: that should always be reported in the case reports to Law enforcement:

Oh and what is returned does not match photos of the listing is worthless: No one know what you actually shipped.

Just saying.

Message 2 of 12
latest reply

@redline_auto_llc wrote:

So the current plan is this. All of our returns go to the local UPS store so we can have witnesses when opening them, and they have a notary on staff for statements. Step 1 will be to open the package on camera there with a witness. With printed photos from the listing, the witness will confirm that it is not the same as the one in the listing photos. A statement that the item is not what we sent them will be notarized, all in one take on camera. 

You can skip that part.

Message 3 of 12
latest reply

Threatening to sue never seems to work with these losers. I can't wait until the day that we can actually start suing. 

This is a tough one.... For that amount I would actually file a police report and upload it to your eBay return. eBay may cover you then. 

Message 4 of 12
latest reply

Eh, at this point it's more about documenting the process than it is about actually getting a successful resolution. I know very well we aren't going to get anywhere with eBay, and police reports don't accomplish anything. 

What we do have is a relatively large subscriber base on YouTube, and I'm more interested in leaving no doubt in anyone's mind that eBay gives zero cares about actually protecting sellers. 

I have no delusions about whether or not anyone about eBay will care, but the only way anything will ever change is if people speak out.

Message 5 of 12
latest reply

Surprisingly enough my last 2 returns fraud cases I complained to eBay, they had me fill out an affidavit and then they covered me. I had to call about 5 times before I found someone who would listen. 

Message 6 of 12
latest reply

I understand your frustration.   They are making it impossible for legit businesses to make any money using their platform.   For me, I just today got the Spring Sellers' update.   And the increase in FVF stunned me.  When they jumped the fees to 10% and then to include shipping costs in the calculation, it made it much harder for me to acquire my inventory at a price at which I could make any money.   And today I find out that the fee rate is increased.   And eBay will require everyone to have their payments managed by eBay.  Well.... instead of just occasionally selling something on eBay, I'm now cancelling all operations as of today.  Time to close down what few auctions I have running.

Message 7 of 12
latest reply

@redline_auto_llc 

Very interesting indeed and I hope you keep us posted. Think I bought from you before! Good luck with this case for sure.

Message 8 of 12
latest reply

I hope you were happy with your purchase! If we're lucky, the buyer screwed up and sent the wrong pictures and is actually returning the correct item. It would be a miracle, but we can hope. If that's the case, they'll be issued a full refund and all will be well. We'd much rather spend our time dealing with our other customers and getting our backlog of inventory listed than filing useless reports and arguing with eBay on the phone.

Somehow though, I doubt it.

Message 9 of 12
latest reply

We filed a police report this week.  We will go to small claims court.   Our new employee refunded before the item was returned, but still, good customers return the item.  Normally, we don’t pay to return items, but we sent a label just to get it back.  He stopped answering our emails.  It was a $550.00 sale.  We have a business license and pay our taxes.  We hope he does because the local state, and IRS tax collectors are getting a call about his on line EBAY sale’s.  Have s great EBAY sale’s  Day!

Message 10 of 12
latest reply

We Need to speakout about how the government Phux us on a Daily Basis. Giving 100billion to a country because they cant support themselves and yet we have hundreds of thousands of homeless in the US. interest rates keep rising which in fact is not helping cool down inflation and Feds keep printing money making what we have now even worth less than it was a day ago. .... maybe this is what we should care about. not return fraud. dont get me wrong i dont agree with it. but there are bigger issues we should resolve.

Message 11 of 12
latest reply

Hi everyone,

Due to the age of this thread, it has been closed to further replies. Please feel free to start a new thread if you wish to continue to discuss this topic.

Thank you for understanding.

Message 12 of 12
latest reply