cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Just found out ebay will no longer remove neutral feedback, even if it has nothing to do with seller

Apparently, this is a new policy. eBay will no longer remove neutral feedback even if it has nothing to do with the item sold or the seller.  

I get people all the time buying things based solely on how they look rather than if they actually work on whatever they are fixing.  It's like ordering a water pump for a Chevy when the guy has a Ford but it looks the same so it's my fault for him not reading the description. Or it's my fault if eBay refers a listing with a part number vaguely similar to what I'm selling, even if it's not compatible. 

In the past, I could call eBay and they would remove the neutral since it had nothing to do with me, but that's changed. I have to get the customer to fix it or I'm stuck with it.  How is this protecting the seller? Why has eBay once again fixed something that wasn't broken? And why hasn't eBay at least extended the allowed Feedback Revision Requests? Also, what if the customer doesn't reply. There should be a time limit that allows the removal in this case since the seller has no other recourse. 

And yes I get it, its only a neutral feedback. However after 20 years full time on eBay I know 1st hand that even a neutral, or a few neutrals has a negative effect on sells. For someone like me that translates to real money lost. 

Message 1 of 13
latest reply
12 REPLIES 12

Re: Just found out ebay will no longer remove neutral feedback, even if it has nothing to do with se

I doubt it effect your sales.  Its the first one that are the hardest to take.

Customers today are a lot more difficult than they use to be also.... Who know why.....

Message 2 of 13
latest reply

Re: Just found out ebay will no longer remove neutral feedback, even if it has nothing to do with se

Funny,...I just got a neutral and the comment was "sdkfjsdkf  owerujjh oogjhsg opooweruwekn fgjh kfghkfue".

I went through the proper chanels and they said they removed the feedback.  So, what they did was remove the comment but left the neutral feedback. 

I've also had 2 issues with negative feedback where customers dont even bother to contact me so I can refund them and make it right.  They just immediately leave negative feedback and "demand" a refund.  I know in March ebay is making it so the customer has to reach out to the seller before leaving negative feedback.  The whole process is getting out of hand as customers have no patience to reach out so we can make it right.

Message 3 of 13
latest reply

Since Ebay is focused on sellers fee increases with various nickel and dime schemes, they should totally consider a new "Negative - Neutral Removal Fee Service" 

Sellers will have the opportunity to pay 10% of the value of item sold to remove a neutral feedback left by the buyer.

Negative feedback removal will cost 15% of the item's value.

fee will be calculated on top of  tax, shipping costs, FVF and PL/PLA fees already being charged.

Sellers such as Reebok etc' will be exempt from paying those fees since their negative feedbacks are being deleted already as it is.

Message 4 of 13
latest reply

It looks like it is gone?  There is no recent neutral?

....... "The Ranger isn't gonna like it Yogi"......... Boo-Boo knew what he was talking about!

Posting ID Only.......
Yes, I have no Bananas, only Flamethrowers.......
Message 5 of 13
latest reply

Just be clear it's not in this store. I have several. 

I received a neutral last week for late delivery and they removed it after 4 days of waiting but they did take it off.  Then the one I got yesterday that had absolutely nothing to do with the item or me.  It was a completely irrelevant feedback, but still the CS told me they just changed the rules and would no longer remove any neutrals. It didn't matter if it's for something out of the seller's control or not. You are stuck with it unless the customer removes it. If they don't reply then tough. 

And for the eBay returning search results related to but not exactly what was searched. I've tested this many times. The listing itself will be very clear about what's included. If eBay includes a banner below or above my listing with someone else's listing with what the person is looking for then again thats a broken system.  Its amazing how many people don't read the description and make assumptions. Still this one I've come to just accept as how eBay works. Making the dumb feedback change is what got to me this time. 

Message 6 of 13
latest reply

I didn't know that the customer would now need to reach out before a negative after March. I hope thats correct. It is funny, I make that suggestion here about a year ago and had everyone jump down my thought about it. 

Message 7 of 13
latest reply

I see a consistent 30 to 40% drop in sales the following week every time it happens. It eventually balances out but in my experience, if the customer is looking then it matters. The more recent a neutral or negatives will have an effect on their decision to buy or not. When the feedback is old then not so much. 

Message 8 of 13
latest reply

@scalemotorcars wrote:

I see a consistent 30 to 40% drop in sales the following week every time it happens. It eventually balances out but in my experience, if the customer is looking then it matters. The more recent a neutral or negatives will have an effect on their decision to buy or not. When the feedback is old then not so much. 

Sorry this goes that way with you; had one neg that increased sale it seemed, The not a nice seller one.... LOL

Message 9 of 13
latest reply

...and easy way of getting rid of drive-by feedback is to make it so if a customer doesn't respond to a revision request it is removed.

That kind of feedback is rarely helpful and is most often left by noobs who have no idea how this whole ebay community thing works.

Message 10 of 13
latest reply

@blueapples_22 wrote:

Funny,...I just got a neutral and the comment was "sdkfjsdkf  owerujjh oogjhsg opooweruwekn fgjh kfghkfue".

I went through the proper chanels and they said they removed the feedback.  So, what they did was remove the comment but left the neutral feedback. 

I've also had 2 issues with negative feedback where customers dont even bother to contact me so I can refund them and make it right.  They just immediately leave negative feedback and "demand" a refund.  I know in March ebay is making it so the customer has to reach out to the seller before leaving negative feedback.  The whole process is getting out of hand as customers have no patience to reach out so we can make it right.

That might make it right for you, but it may still be a less than positive experience for the buyer having to deal with whatever issue prompted the feedback.

Message 11 of 13
latest reply

we talk about feedback frequently here

the buyer that get  negatives think "how come I cant just get  a neutral"

I think we talked about negatives and advance notice back in May

I am against that...why give a seller the time to string out a bad deal with more lies

I get plenty of feedback so a new negative only lowers me 1/10 of a percent. not a big deal

the feedback system is as good as its going to get..I dont see any room for improvement

rolling them off after 1 year is a great improvement

resolving problems on your dashboard is more important but ebay users cant see the dashboard like they can see feedback.

as far as a CSR helping with feedback thats on a case by case buisness and I am sure they have some discretion to use

if you sweet talk a CSR and are polite and courteous you may get what you want

good luck

Germantown proud Germantown strong
up the whiskey hickon
moving right along
Message 12 of 13
latest reply

This is what I was referring to when I mentioned this last year and brought up at least a courtesy message before negative feedback. You automatically put all the blame on the seller for doing something wrong when the vast majority of issues are because the customer didn't read the description. Honestly, in 20 years every seller I've purchased an item from has been incredible and quick to help if there was a problem.

I'm a firm believer that most people are good but accidents happen and everyone should be afforded at least a chance to make good if a problem does arise. 

Message 13 of 13
latest reply