cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Just a warning....Paypal scam email

I just got this email that is supposedly is from paypal with this heading and my name on it....

Important ? We noticed unusual activity in your PayPal account (PP 735-xxx-xxx)

And it has nothing but links to click to display the message, obvious scam.  

I did not click on anything and went directly to the pal from my ebay link and of course nothing is wrong.

But just in case some newbie lurkers don't know about it, heads up.  Never click on any links about your accounts - go directly to the account itself.

(*Bleep*)
Message 1 of 34
latest reply
33 REPLIES 33

Re: Just a warning....Paypal scam email

I do hope the newby's are paying attention.  When I started selling in '03, I had listed some items and got tired and took a nap.  When I woke up, I checked the listing - well in the 2 -3 hrs that I was napping, I had moved from NJ to Germany and had 10 motorcycles listed open_mouth  I fell for the "please sign in to confirm . . ..)  I had to call to get the items removed and learned to double check before giving out that info again 

Thank  you for posting  as a reminder 🙂 

Message 31 of 34
latest reply

There are legal complexities involved in shutting down a scammer site that make it not as simple as that.
Message 32 of 34
latest reply

Don't forget the eBay breach - email, phone numbers, name, addresses, birthdate, and possibly anything else eBay obtained from you over the years. It's out there and will continue to be leveraged for years to come. Likely some of that info overlaps with your PayPal info.
Message 33 of 34
latest reply

The name on ebay is a little different than the name I signed up on paypal with.  The email has the Paypal registration name, so it wasn't ebay that was hacked, it was the pal.

My father was the victim of a hack scam that was so bad the feds got involved.  His main bank account was hacked and emptied and everything that was attached to the account was attempted to be rerouted, social security, retirement payments and anything that was autodeposited.  The damage was cleaned up, but we still get an attempt to access the new accounts using the info from the old one - even phone calls from the scammers.

While I have your attention, dad got nailed by a charity that was using a scammy fund raising company.  Most charities now are using fund raising companies and most of the money given the charity actually goes to the fund raising company and the charity gets half if they are lucky.  You might want to look up the charity on sites like Charity Navigator to see what % of your donation is actually going to do the good work you are giving it for before you donate.

The feds told us that these are good general rules to live by when it comes to donating...If they call, it's a scam.  If they send you token gifts, it's a scam.  I have one that I'm learning through experience, if they send something that looks like a bill, it's a scam.  Look up any charity before you give and I'm getting dad used to the idea of giving in person to local charities or to just drop a twenty in their envelope and that is all you send them.  Never fill out any form and send it back, no matter what it is for, and do not send back their paperwork with your name or a bar code on it unless you want a thousand other charities contacting you with their hand out.  One of the things charities do to raise money is sell their list of people who gave to them to fundraising companies.

(*Bleep*)
Message 34 of 34
latest reply