cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Item was sold for a price other than my listing price?

Hi Folks,

I had a curious sale today. I listed the item for $149.99, and recieved a notification from eBay that it sold for $127.49. I can't figure that out. How did the buyer purchase my item for less than my listing price? The item was not an auction, the buyer did not make me an offer. I had sent offers out about 21 days ago, but they're only valid for 48 hours is my understanding.

Anyone else had this happen? A buyer was able to purchase your item for less than the listing price without your consent?

Message 1 of 40
latest reply
1 BEST ANSWER

Accepted Solutions

Re: Item was sold for a price other than my listing price?

@booking33 wrote:

I had a curious sale today. I listed the item for $149.99, and received a notification from eBay that it sold for $127.49. I can't figure that out. How did the buyer purchase my item for less than my listing price?

Viewing that Sold listing from an outsider's perspective gives no clues... it looks like a straight sale of $149.99. There is no strikethrough to indicate an accepted offer.

Just to be clear, you're not looking at your pending funds from the buyer, right? Those would have Final Value Fees deducted, as well as Shipping costs if you drew the cost of your postage from the buyer's pending funds. Beyond that I have no other ideas.

There's some kind of irony that the item sold was a set of "Mysteries of the Unknown"... 😁

View Best Answer in original post

Message 4 of 40
latest reply
39 REPLIES 39

There is probably some item ticked on listing that allows automatic acceptance of offer over $xxx.xx amount and buyers offer meet those criteria and the item sold. 

Message 2 of 40
latest reply

Have you created a 15% coupon? Somehow, your buyer got exactly that % off. Click on the order# to see the breakdown and discount.

Message 3 of 40
latest reply

@booking33 wrote:

I had a curious sale today. I listed the item for $149.99, and received a notification from eBay that it sold for $127.49. I can't figure that out. How did the buyer purchase my item for less than my listing price?

Viewing that Sold listing from an outsider's perspective gives no clues... it looks like a straight sale of $149.99. There is no strikethrough to indicate an accepted offer.

Just to be clear, you're not looking at your pending funds from the buyer, right? Those would have Final Value Fees deducted, as well as Shipping costs if you drew the cost of your postage from the buyer's pending funds. Beyond that I have no other ideas.

There's some kind of irony that the item sold was a set of "Mysteries of the Unknown"... 😁

Message 4 of 40
latest reply

Ebay allowing someone to buy an item for LESS than your listed price without your consent.

Why does ebay allows this stuff to happen?

Papa Was A Rolling Stone - The Temptations
Message 5 of 40
latest reply

As titipeo mentioned, when you created the listing, you did allow offers. So did you enter the lowest amount you would accept? The buyer would then make offers and eBay's automation would deny their offer until they came up to your minimum.

Message 6 of 40
latest reply

This is almost an exact duplicate of another post from earlier today. In that case, the buyer purchased a $12 for $2 because the seller didn't realize he/she had promoted the listing. 

(And in that case, the reduced price didn't show as having a strikethrough the price either.)

I'm betting that @booking33 promoted the listing. 

https://community.ebay.com/t5/Ask-a-Mentor/My-item-has-sold-for-10-00-less-than-I-posted-it-for/m-p/...

albertabrightalberta
Volunteer Community Mentor

Message 7 of 40
latest reply

@booking33 wrote:

I had sent offers out about 21 days ago, but they're only valid for 48 hours is my understanding.

Most likely what happened was that when sending out offers you accidentally ticked the box that said "Automatically send offers," which will send that same offer to any new watcher.

Message 8 of 40
latest reply

@booking33 

Is that $127.49 before or after subtracting Ebay fees?

mam98031  •  Volunteer Community Member  •  Buyer/Seller since 1999
Message 9 of 40
latest reply

Did you ever promote the listing? Even after ending the promotion anyone who clicked on it in the last 30 days will still trigger the promotion fee if they buy it.

Message 10 of 40
latest reply

@yuzuha wrote:

@booking33 wrote:

I had sent offers out about 21 days ago, but they're only valid for 48 hours is my understanding.

Most likely what happened was that when sending out offers you accidentally ticked the box that said "Automatically send offers," which will send that same offer to any new watcher.

My vote is for this.  Were the offers you sent out 21 days ago also for 15 percent off?  I had that little box checked off by ebay and I didn't notice it at first.   Once you uncheck it, it stays off unless you want to do this.

Message 11 of 40
latest reply

At least it sold!  $127.49 is better than zero.

Message 12 of 40
latest reply

@fern*wood 

My vote is the OP is looking at the number she gets AFTER fees are taken out.

mam98031  •  Volunteer Community Member  •  Buyer/Seller since 1999
Message 13 of 40
latest reply

Terapeak had the 127.49 amount as the sale...

(which is exactly a 15% discount)

so, a discount offer was applied...

I am in this camp:

"...Most likely what happened was that when sending out offers you accidentally ticked the box that said "Automatically send offers," which will send that same offer to any new watcher..."

Message 14 of 40
latest reply

@booking33 wrote:

The item was not an auction, the buyer did not make me an offer. I had sent offers out about 21 days ago, but they're only valid for 48 hours is my understanding.

Hey @booking33 . You received correct responses above from @yuzuha and @fern*wood .

When you send a SIO (seller initiated offer), eBay has a setting that's checked by default to automatically send offers to new watchers. You probably did not see it before sending the offers 3 weeks ago. As mentioned above by yuzuha and fern-wood, this is likely what happened with your sale.

Once you uncheck the automatically send offers box, the setting is "sticky" on future SIO.

If you sent offers on other items you can locate the offers and go in to uncheck the setting as it will remain on those items until they sell or the listings are ended.

In regular search the item appears sold for $149.99, but when I look up the item in Terapeak it confirms the actual sale price of $127.49. That is consistent with how SIO display in search vs Terapeak.

Message 15 of 40
latest reply