cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Item specifics missing

I read the fall seller update and I am aware of the tools to fill in the new item specifics.  I am noticing some of my listings are now missing the size! Why isn't this being transferred? I want to spend my time listing new items not fixing listings that had all the required information. What is going on? 

Message 1 of 24
latest reply
23 REPLIES 23

Re: Item specifics missing

Same issue here. **bleep**

Message 2 of 24
latest reply

Yes happened to me too! I am still in the middle of fixing 100's of listings of mine. It is so tedious. Happened to me last time too. The site has been glitchy all day today too ;( 

Message 3 of 24
latest reply

In some cases the IS are not providing applicable choices. It seems like Womens, Mens and childrens IS are getting combined. For example, a mens full zip cotton jacket had these choices for style: Cape, Cardigan, Henley, Pullover, Shrug, Tunic, Vest, Wrap. Style is required soon and the choices are not applicable for a man's jacket. A required IS must provide choices that make sense.  Does anyone know if this is an error and whether it will get fixed? 

Message 4 of 24
latest reply

Another required IS that I don’t understand is dress length for an infant size 9 months. The choices are the same as for a woman: short, knee length, midi, long. 

Message 5 of 24
latest reply

The item specifics are a mess and have been since October 2019 (yes, a year) when eBay attempted to combine everything into a sort of meta-category (as you mentioned 'combined').  Of course, they didn't know how to do it correctly and now we're just in this endless loop of incompetence and updates.  I tried to do something about it by starting a campaign in their 'town hall' to call attention to this ridiculous situation, and a lot of sellers joined with very specific problems and situations that they clearly illustrated. 

We were dismissed at the 'town hall' with a very ill-prepared one or two lines saying they'd...oh yeah, 'messed up' one 'aspect' but they'd fixed it.

We're on our own.  Just update whatever is relevant to what you're selling, don't worry about the silly stuff - no buyer is ever going to search on many of those 'essential' specifics, anyway.

“The most common way people give up their power is by thinking they don’t have any.”
— Alice Walker

#freedomtoread
#readbannedbooks
Message 6 of 24
latest reply

I don't know when and how exactly "they fixed it" when I had to re-enter the size on every single item. Yesterday I got a notice that one of my items was missing the brand name (it was obviously not missing when I listed it otherwise I would not have been able to list it). I checked the listing and it was missing every single item specific - I had to re-enter everything. Now I'm scared the other listings will go the same way.

Message 7 of 24
latest reply

I just went through a bunch of the flagged listings - most were item specifics I HAD ALREADY FILLED IN and that they lost.

SMDH. Come on, eBay, get your act together.

“The most common way people give up their power is by thinking they don’t have any.”
— Alice Walker

#freedomtoread
#readbannedbooks
Message 8 of 24
latest reply

Same thing here....hundreds of flagged listings that I already had filled out ALL the item specifics on!  This is why the sales are tanking this week....they have been making these useless updates and probably causing these listings to go missing from search.  

I used to be a software programmer and I KNOW these changes were not tested....at least not to the extent they should have been!  A size should not go missing when it's required to be in the listing when you list it!  

Message 9 of 24
latest reply

This is why when Wenig called eBay a "tech company" not a marketplace I just laughed.  I guess he wanted to run with what he felt were the "big boys" in tech, but eBay is a marketplace that tries to use tech.  As soon as I realised this, it made all this stuff a little easier to handle. 

Though TBH, the item specifics mess is kind of above and beyond, or maybe below and behind - one or the other, but there's no excuse for it. 

— Alice Walker

#freedomtoread
#readbannedbooks
Message 10 of 24
latest reply

Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi dietaryconsultant,

Thank you for your callout on partially missing or irrelevant data in Required soon item specifics in Men’s and Baby's clothing categories. I’m terribly sorry to hear that you’ve had this frustrating experience with missing Sizes in some of your listings. We apologize for any disruption during this seller release. Are you still experiencing these issues? I can assure you, that we are looking into the root cause of this behavior. Regarding your callout on missing or irrelevant values, we added a new Style for Men's Sweaters (Full Zip) in order to allow sellers more options for this Required field. We’ve also eliminated values that are typically found in Women's Sweaters. Additionally, we’ve reviewed Baby Dress Length values and revised it to allow for three relevant ones (Long, Knee Length, & Short) versus values that are typical in Women's dresses, like Midi, etc.

Thank you again for sharing this important feedback and for choosing eBay!

Message 11 of 24
latest reply

@Anonymous 

The last time this happened back in August( Affecting 250 + listings) I forwarded a detailed list of the issues/concerns to your Technical Support Department and received a response saying that it was basically not covered as a technical issue. To say the least, I was not impressed. It's now October and going through the same concerns/problems with your required specifics.

-Lotz

Message 12 of 24
latest reply

@Anonymous 

WOW..........arthur if we could actually get someone to look at things, we find and fix them......it would sure inspire some of us to point out flaws.  I tried last Jan. to get "Casserole" added as an object type in the Corning ware category......After 6 lengthy emails back and forth with SDS team, trying to convince them it was necessary, they said it was under consideration, in June they said nothing could be considered until 2021.......  There are 12,000 "Corning ware Casseroles" listed...... After that, I gave up "trying to help"........tho there are plenty of nonessential "object types" in that category.

By the way.....tho no email about IS says it.......the update in the Release says the "coming soon stuff" is due by 2/2021........so it doesn't have to be done in the 4th quarter.......when we are all trying to get Xmas done.....

Message 13 of 24
latest reply

It is asking questions like what department a men's jean is for when it was listed under men's jeans.  Same with pants.  Men's underwear listed in the category of men's underwear asks if it is underwear.  It is like although these items are listed under a specific category, they now have to fill out a  box that would have been noted when it was listed. 

Currently listed under Clothing, Shoes & Accessories, Men, Men's Clothing, Pants

Same with jeans, underwear, shirts, and a lot of other items.  There is a disconnect here.  

I have them in the correct class sections, but it is like there is no communication saying, hey, these are men's pants, men's jeans, men's underwear.  It seems the system is saying, hey you do not have the type or department on these items any longer, now you need to add them although you have them under a classification of what is being requested to be filled out in a different area.  There seems to be a failure on items not being figured out from information that is already in the listing or the listing classification put on when the item was posted.

Message 14 of 24
latest reply

Arthur, thanks so much. I noticed the changes before seeing this message and GREATLY appreciate the expediency of theses changes. I haven't had any additional issues with size and I'm almost done updating my listings.  You are restoring my faith in ebay. Thanks again and have a great weekend. 

Message 15 of 24
latest reply