cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Is eBay what it used to be..

I have been selling since 2003 off & on but sales are extremely slow this year 😩

Message 1 of 54
latest reply
53 REPLIES 53

Re: Is eBay what it used to be..

@trainup027 wrote:

On the topic of Ebay being equivalent to the economy (sorry if I'm not expressing that correctly), I know we can't mention direct competitors here, but there are "other" sites that are growing really fast and seem to have no problem selling collectibles.  There are collectors and buyers out there.  Some of them may be finding eBay less easy and fun to use lately.  Whether that lasts or not, and whether it's as big a factor as technical glitches, only time will tell I guess.

Yes we can.  You might be referring to Etsy or Amazon or Mercari, etc.  Similar sites may or may not be "competitors" by the way.  Collectibles is an important part of Ebay, but we don't all sell them and they aren't the only thing for sale here.  

mam98031  •  Volunteer Community Member  •  Buyer/Seller since 1999
Message 46 of 54
latest reply

@chubbycatcollectibles wrote:

Funny, it is the past that so many people are trying to rejoin.  It is sad that todays youth don't like to collect.  I tried to get my grandchildren into old baseball cards and not a one took me up on it.  The Country is in serious condition.

I'm not sure there's a connection between not wanting to collect 'stuff' and the viability of a nation.

But there IS part of the past I would like to rejoin.  I would like my old hips back, please.  The ones I have now are janky and I look like an ancient dog going for its food bowl when I run.

“The most common way people give up their power is by thinking they don’t have any.”
— Alice Walker

#freedomtoread
#readbannedbooks
Message 47 of 54
latest reply

The younger the buyers get they will collect different things.  If you are determined to stay in collectibles and stay viable, you need to make sure you understand what different age groups want.  Those buyers from 2000 what very different things from those of 2023.

It isn't that younger people don't like to collect, it is just they don't have any interest in what their Mom or Grandparents collected.  Do some research find out what current buyers want.

Message 48 of 54
latest reply

@mam98031  oh yes, lots of great changes, that's y i'm still here LOL Just a little joke for the OP

Message 49 of 54
latest reply

Nothing is what it was.. Never will be again.. 

"It's a brave new world"

(I really did not like that book)

hehehhe

Just my Two Cents...
Thank you for being here!
Penny
Message 50 of 54
latest reply

I agree

Message 51 of 54
latest reply

I tend to sell collectibles (and books, and some other stuff) so that's my frame of reference.  All right.  The competitor I'm thinking of (and I do think it's an actual competitor) is WhatNot.  

Message 52 of 54
latest reply

@trainup027 wrote:

I tend to sell collectibles (and books, and some other stuff) so that's my frame of reference.  All right.  The competitor I'm thinking of (and I do think it's an actual competitor) is WhatNot.  

It will be awhile before they reach a competitor status according to their numbers.

https://pitchbook.com/profiles/company/431324-11#overview

https://www.crunchbase.com/organization/whatnot/company_financials

Message 53 of 54
latest reply

@mam98031 wrote:

The younger the buyers get they will collect different things.  If you are determined to stay in collectibles and stay viable, you need to make sure you understand what different age groups want.  Those buyers from 2000 what very different things from those of 2023.

It isn't that younger people don't like to collect, it is just they don't have any interest in what their Mom or Grandparents collected.  Do some research find out what current buyers want.

Exactly. I go to anime and sci-fi conventions on a regular basis and see younger people spending hundreds of dollars on collectibles in the dealers rooms there. There is very much still a market for collectibles, just not the same ones that the older generations collected.

Message 54 of 54
latest reply