cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Is eBay what it used to be..

I have been selling since 2003 off & on but sales are extremely slow this year 😩

Message 1 of 54
latest reply
53 REPLIES 53

Re: Is eBay what it used to be..

Same with the rest of America. 

Message 31 of 54
latest reply

A lot of people go to Mexico. 

Message 32 of 54
latest reply

So does our president. You have nothing to worry about. 

Message 33 of 54
latest reply

@bryo_3145 wrote:

So does our president. You have nothing to worry about. 

@bryo_3145 

Is that an attempt to slam some of us due to age or just people that are of retirement age in general?

Our current POTUS did get voted in via the Popular vote as well as the Electoral votes.

mam98031  •  Volunteer Community Member  •  Buyer/Seller since 1999
Message 34 of 54
latest reply

A lot of people in our country believe it or not do not have 401 K or retirement plan. As for social security they keep increasing the age and that someday that also might disappear. You also can't pay your bills off of that. Medicaid will only pay some of you medical if your lucky. They'll take your house and everything else you've worked for you entire life. Life savings. Don't get sick. It's a tough road for the younger generation. Baby Boomers should consider themselves very lucky. With this economy what do you invest in? Market could crash at any time. What do you recommend telling the younger generation besides keeping your chin up. 

Message 35 of 54
latest reply

@chapeau-noir wrote:

Twenty years in online sales is generations anywhere else.  The fast and easy sales when eBay was 'young' and king of the marketplace are long gone. Heck, I used to sell everything I listed, but those days really are long gone. Like MS DOS and my youth, I wouldn't mind having them back, but that's not gonna happen.

ETA: Though I distinctly recall people complaining about low sales back in those days, too.

The other thing that never changes is that people come to the boards to accuse eBay of corruption, greed, stupidity, fraud, profiteering, racketeering, graft, sleaze, discrimination, harassment, theft, and every villainy and illegal or immoral act one can name -- yet they continue to sell here, year after year, while all the time doing their best to tear down the platform.   I find that the weirdest thing, but it's been that way forever.

-

Message 36 of 54
latest reply

Everyone,

Flippin Aint Easy, an ebay youtuber, has found if you are in the new international shipping program, it causes a significant drop in impressions.  Once you opt out, in a couple days you will see impressions and views coming back up to whatever your normal levels were.

If you were in the prior global shipping program, you were automatically opted into the new intl shipping program.  

Message 37 of 54
latest reply

The reasons for the mall demises are not the same as the ebay reasons.

Message 38 of 54
latest reply

@bryo_3145 wrote:

A lot of people in our country believe it or not do not have 401 K or retirement plan. As for social security they keep increasing the age and that someday that also might disappear. You also can't pay your bills off of that. Medicaid will only pay some of you medical if your lucky. They'll take your house and everything else you've worked for you entire life. Life savings. Don't get sick. It's a tough road for the younger generation. Baby Boomers should consider themselves very lucky. With this economy what do you invest in? Market could crash at any time. What do you recommend telling the younger generation besides keeping your chin up. 

I never said or implied that everyone has a retirement plan and/or a 401K.  As for as SS and the amount that someone gets, that is going to depend on their income claimed on their Federal tax returns for the previous 30 years.  That is what drives how much one gets in SS. 

Medicaid and Medicare are two different things.  If you are pulling SS you get Medicare.

Sounds like you have had some pretty horrific experiences regarding this subject.  I am sincerely sorry to hear that.  

I'm not sure what any of this has to do with my previous post, but to answer your final question.  I did my part and I taught my children to be putting away for retirement now not just later.  I taught kids started their retirement accounts when they were about 20ish.  That IMHO was part of my responsibility for the future of my kids.  Even starting with small percentages is fine, the fact is they start and they pay into it like it was a regular bill like the roof over their heads.

Now I'm not naive, I know that not every young person gets their career started that young or have a job that pays enough to allow for this.  

I haven't ran these numbers for a long time, but something to teach the kids is that even those working for a low pay can still put around 5% of their gross income into a IRA or some other form of retirement account and it will NOT affect their net income.  Meaning what they put into the account is coming off their Gross income and they don't have to pay taxes on that money, therefore what they end up with will be nearly the same as it was BEFORE they did the contribution.

Of course this also has to come with a will to look at the future and some people just don't do that.  I know I was one of them when I was young.

mam98031  •  Volunteer Community Member  •  Buyer/Seller since 1999
Message 39 of 54
latest reply

"Lets keep ignoring our national debt at $31.38 trillion and climbing."  

Message 40 of 54
latest reply

You're right there has been a lot of mall shootings lately. 

Message 41 of 54
latest reply

Since may 2nd i hsve not had a sale. This is my longest dry spell.

Message 42 of 54
latest reply

I was getting the equivalent of one weekly paycheque a month from my eBay sales circa 2001.

I'm retired now but my income from eBay is about the same dollar amount.

The first complaints about slow sales were posted in October 1995.

Message 43 of 54
latest reply

Flippin Aint Easy, an ebay youtuber, has found if you are in the new international shipping program, it causes a significant drop in impressions.  Once you opt out, in a couple days you will see impressions and views coming back up to whatever your normal levels were.

OP, please pay attention to this!  Maybe it doesn't apply to you, but if it does this is info you need.

This is another video related to that topic:  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tdqUgbZMDAg&ab_channel=JoshGalt

Message 44 of 54
latest reply

On the topic of Ebay being equivalent to the economy (sorry if I'm not expressing that correctly), I know we can't mention direct competitors here, but there are "other" sites that are growing really fast and seem to have no problem selling collectibles.  There are collectors and buyers out there.  Some of them may be finding eBay less easy and fun to use lately.  Whether that lasts or not, and whether it's as big a factor as technical glitches, only time will tell I guess.

Message 45 of 54
latest reply