cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

International seller fee for a domestic shipment?.....what next Ebay?....ridiculous.

Every once in a while I check the breakdown of fees we are charged for a sale.  Had a sale today (to be delivered in the USA to clearly a freight forwarder) where we were charged an INTERNATIONAL FEE of 1.65% with the explanation - because the buyer's registered address is in Columbia.  Why not charge the BUYER...not the seller.  Ebay is getting beyond ridiculous with their seller fees.  If it isn't something as lame as this it is charging fees on the shipping cost and sales tax portion of the order.  We have been selling on Ebay for 24 years and we are sick of it.

Message 1 of 13
latest reply
12 REPLIES 12

Re: International seller fee for a domestic shipment?.....what next Ebay?....ridiculous.

And what do you intend to do about it? eBay owns the sand box. If you want to play, you abide by the rules of that sand box.

Message 2 of 13
latest reply

Re: International seller fee for a domestic shipment?.....what next Ebay?....ridiculous.

Obviously nothing we can do about it.  Just venting more than anything and to maybe make others aware of some of these add on fees.  Thanks for stopping in though.

Message 3 of 13
latest reply

This fee is not new. It's been around for a LONG time. It's just part of doing business.

Message 4 of 13
latest reply

@sales8uwg wrote:

Every once in a while I check the breakdown of fees we are charged for a sale.  Had a sale today (to be delivered in the USA to clearly a freight forwarder) where we were charged an INTERNATIONAL FEE of 1.65% with the explanation - because the buyer's registered address is in Columbia.  Why not charge the BUYER...not the seller.  Ebay is getting beyond ridiculous with their seller fees.  If it isn't something as lame as this it is charging fees on the shipping cost and sales tax portion of the order.  We have been selling on Ebay for 24 years and we are sick of it.

Does not mater where it is delivered to: it maters what country the buyer is registered in;  if you get this fee.

Yes it would be nice to be able to block such as it is the cost go up and do effect you bottom line...

Not going to hold me breath waiting for that to happen...

Message 5 of 13
latest reply

Been this way for many many years; far before Managed Payments (yes, PP did it too)

But, the big question is: would you sell a $100 item for $98.35? 

Message 6 of 13
latest reply

@sales8uwg wrote:

Obviously nothing we can do about it.  Just venting.....

The problem is that many whom Ebay considers to be small sellers don't just vent about long established practices but call Ebay to complain.  Just look on this forum about the number of people who complain about this issue, or having FVF apply to sales tax, or just taxing a used widget, all long standing policies.  It is no wonder that Ianonne, who I have no love for, and Ebay would just as soon see all the small sellers leave the platform.

Message 7 of 13
latest reply

The issue is you are not selling a $100 item for $98.35.  I have zero problem paying the 18% or whatever it is in the category I sell in for the sale price of the item.  That SHOULD be the cost to do business on Ebay.  The fact they, conveniently include the cost of shipping and sales tax into the total is where I have a problem.  They are making money off seller shipping charges/costs and are also lining their pockets profiteering on the sales tax they are collecting on and passing on to the states.  But I digress.  I realize all this is not new.  My original post was to do with this International Fee which, in my humble opinion, is even more ludicrous than the other fees mentioned.

Message 8 of 13
latest reply

You do realize that since the beginning of payment processing, the fee has been charged on the total, which would include tax?

Message 9 of 13
latest reply

Not sure what you are talking about; I am only referring to your original post about the international fee charged. It's 1.65% as you stated. 

So, my question is still valid- would you sell a $100 item for $98.35 (the cost to sell to international buyer vs domestic)

But, regarding the fees- what category is at 18%??

Message 10 of 13
latest reply

There is a high probability that the shipping address is a U.S. based freight forwarder and the buyer is actually in another country. Google the address and/or view the order details and check the shipping information. There is a drop down menu that will show the buyers address. The freight forwarder will likely consolidate several items for this buyer and ship them in one package to reduce the international shipping cost. 

With the current eBay code it only checks the shipping address so foreign buyers are able to get around any blocks sellers may have in place to prevent international sales. 

Message 11 of 13
latest reply

It is new for those recent to eBay Managed Payments. Under Paypal, sellers could choose to not accept transactions based on foreign currency and avoid the international fee. Under MP sellers no longer have that option.

Message 12 of 13
latest reply

@sales8uwg wrote:

You lost me at "Columbia." Isn't that in South Carolina? Or MIssouri? Or probably a dozen other states?

Or did you mean "Colombia," as in the South American country?

That aside, all of eBay's fees are clearly listed and explained in their Selling Fees page and its relevant links--including the International Fee about which you're complaining. Why would a 24-year seller not be familiar with the fees charged by the platform on which they're selling? Really, there's no excuse for you to not be aware of every single fee eBay assesses. 

Message 13 of 13
latest reply