cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

International buyer wants to bid; auction not currently set for Intl

I have three books at auction. I meant to list them with the global shipping option, but only managed to put in on one. Now I have an international buyer who wants to bid. I know 2 of the other bidders are intl and using forwarding services because I've sold other items to them before. I suggested that option to this buyer, but he doesn't seem to keen on it.

Here's the best idea I've come up with. If this person wins the auction, I could cancel the sale because it's a bad address as no intl option was listed. Then I could relist it as a BIN with global shipping added as an option. Would that be okay? Am I overlooking something?

(What I typically do when I make a listing for a particular individual is set the price a bit higher than it's worth, but "best offer" on it, and then accept an offer from that person.)

Message 1 of 13
latest reply
12 REPLIES 12

Re: International buyer wants to bid; auction not currently set for Intl

You can't just revise the listing and check the Global Shipping box? 😕

I don't know I don't do auction style listings, just buy it nows, so I'm not sure either lol 🙂

Message 2 of 13
latest reply

I can't revise the auction because there are already bids.

A week or two ago in the Weekly Chat with eBay staff, someone suggested that we be able to revise auction listings to add additional shipping options - after all, it doesn't affect in any way what people are bidding on. I "liked" the post - and now here I have the same issue.

Message 3 of 13
latest reply

That's a great suggestion and it absolutely doesn't affect in any way what people are bidding on so I don't know why it is not permissible to revise an auction to allow potential buyers from other countries to bid.

I once had the same problem and when I contacted eBay CS I was told I could end the auction and start the auction over again to allow bidders from other countries to bid.

Message 4 of 13
latest reply

In the past, the couple of times I cancelled auctions because I discovered an error in the listing, I wrote each of the bidders apologizing for cancelling and by way of apology offered them a discount or free shipping if they ended up the winning bidder on the new listing.

But this current auction is on day 7 of a 10-day auction, so I don't want to inconvenience the bidders who have already waited a week.

Also, in managed payments, if you cancel an auction that has bids, you pay a final value fee based on the amount of the highest bid.

Message 5 of 13
latest reply

It doesn't sound like you want to ship directly  but if you did and the international buyer wins  you can add a shipping service and cost to their invoice when the auction ends.  It looks like the only countries you actually have blocked are the countries that eBay blocked so they likely can still bid.  

Message 6 of 13
latest reply

I see shipping cost to the three books you have at auction (I'm in Greece).

I don't see a problem. Your buyer can bid and have a total.

If he can't see the shipping cost but he can bid, ebay will ask him to send you a request for an ebay invoice, when he press the "pay" bottom.

Message 7 of 13
latest reply

You could cancel the auction for the reason "something wrong with the address" but that would be a lie.  You would not be able to sleep at night and there go any chances you have of going to heaven.   😉

Undone - Bachman & Cummings
Message 8 of 13
latest reply

canceling bids and being charged for it has nothing to do wth MP..its always been that way

if you end an auction that was bid up to 100 you will pay FVF on that if you end the listing by canceling bids or by selling the item

Germantown proud Germantown strong
up the whiskey hickon
moving right along
Message 9 of 13
latest reply

auctions can not be canceled midway with that excuse...something wrong with buyer adress is for a sold item

when auctions with bids are canceled you only get 2 choices,  sell to highest bidder or cancel bids and end auction.................there is no reason to be picked out like there is for a cancelation

Germantown proud Germantown strong
up the whiskey hickon
moving right along
Message 10 of 13
latest reply

auctionairecorp
Trailblazer

I did an international sale for $2400.00,  the buyer used a stolen credit card that hadn't been reported yet.. i had to eat the entire $2400.00.. eBay didn't even pretend to give a care. they didn't **bleep** for me

Message 11 of 13
latest reply

I thought that if an international buyer purchases something to a country to which you don't sell,  cancelling the auction with "something wrong with the address" is the correct way to proceed.

Message 12 of 13
latest reply

Thank you. I didn't know that.

Message 13 of 13
latest reply