cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Insane Seller Fees

I deal in coins. I've been using EBAY for 18 years. After my last 2 items sold, I AM DONE.

13.5% plus seller fees! Sold 2 items for $1,200 total and was charged $164. +

I guess I will be buying and selling at coin shows now. 

I AM DONE FOR GOOD "EBAY".

Message 1 of 52
latest reply
51 REPLIES 51

Insane Seller Fees

@jims6832 wrote:

I deal in coins. I've been using EBAY for 18 years. After my last 2 items sold, I AM DONE.

13.5% plus seller fees!  Sold 2 items for $1,200 total and was charged $164. +

I guess I will be buying and selling at coin shows now. 

I AM DONE FOR GOOD "EBAY".

You are a long time seller so it is surprising that you weren't aware of the Seller Fees and their rate.  

While Ebay is not the cheapest site to sell on, it most certainly isn't the most expensive either.

I wish you well in whatever you decide to do.

mam98031  •  Volunteer Community Member  •  Buyer/Seller since 1999
Message 2 of 52
latest reply

Insane Seller Fees

Listing your wares on eBay is free, selling your wares is not. 
From the tone of your post I can guess that you didn't read up on sellers fees, that is on you. eBay is very transparent about their fees. 
Also when you list the listing form tells you that you will be charged a final value fee when your item sells. 
Hope you are also aware that since you are a new or infrequent seller the funds you earned for those 2 sales can be held for up to 30 days. Payout holds are also in eBay's policies. Look it up in Help and contact in any eBay page. 
Announcing your departure isn't necessary.

Best of luck where ever you go  IMG_1412.jpeg

Message 3 of 52
latest reply

Insane Seller Fees

Fees are public information and shouldn’t be a big surprise and easy to figure, unless your final selling price was much higher than expected which should be a good thing.

Message 4 of 52
latest reply

Insane Seller Fees

Maybe you have not sold for a while.

Fees were 10% back a while, but when they were, sellers also paid PayPal 2.9%

Message 5 of 52
latest reply

Insane Seller Fees

WAH !!! Cry all the way to the bank with your profits.

IF you've been on eBay for 18 years then you KNOW there is a final value fee associated with selling here. There has always been a final value fee associated with selling here. 

Message 6 of 52
latest reply

Insane Seller Fees

Funny thing. Not sure of your exact total sale, but yeah, you got hit exactly what it cost as listed.  1200 came to 162 at 13.5%, which most of us have to pay.

I get a 10% discount if I have items listed a certain way, so I would have saved 16 dollars and change at the end for myself.

I can't speak for others, but the fees aren't the worst out there.

As for the rest of your post.  You should be ashamed of yourself.  I wouldn't be surprised if the thread doesn't get taken down due to your language choices.

Good luck.

Gator08041971  •  Volunteer Community Mentor 2024
Member of eBay since 2000

Message 7 of 52
latest reply

Insane Seller Fees

All fees are clearly stated.  

evry1nositswindy  •  seller since 2013
Volunteer Community Mentor

Message 8 of 52
latest reply

Insane Seller Fees

Did you complain when Pay Pal was processing payments and our fee's were 12.9% then?

Have a great day
Message 9 of 52
latest reply

Insane Seller Fees

It's not free to sell at shows.  You have to rent space and get there and sometimes stay overnight in a hotel.  You can try your own web space but that costs money and good luck on anyone finding your wares.  It's even more costly to open a B&M store with rent and utilities.   

Message 10 of 52
latest reply

Insane Seller Fees

@toysaver wrote:

It's not free to sell at shows.  You have to rent space and get there and sometimes stay overnight in a hotel.  You can try your own web space but that costs money and good luck on anyone finding your wares.  It's even more costly to open a B&M store with rent and utilities.   

Oh, so thats why the site takes close to or over 20% of our items selling price in fees and recommends giving them another 20% to promote our items? So in a nutshell, you're saying its kinda like they feel they got you over a barrel and that puts them in a position where they can price gouge? - Gotchya

Message 11 of 52
latest reply

Insane Seller Fees

"Insane Seller Fees"

I'll only quote the OP's title, because that tells us enough about him.  
Yes, I will assume that a partial eBay user name of "jim" and casual mention of a criminal action is most likely a male. 
A Boy.  

My selling ID does not consider eBay's selling fees to be insane.  
Maybe eBay only charges insane fees to insane sellers.  

Message 12 of 52
latest reply

Insane Seller Fees

I reckon you were having a bad day, decided on something to get angry about, ebay happened to catch the blame, you came here to let it all out, and now you're gone and never coming back to read these replies.
Whether you're truly done selling on ebay is of course another whole story.

That said my fees are closer to 20% with all the (bad word) promotion costs.

Message 13 of 52
latest reply

Insane Seller Fees

Take them to a jeweler , pawn shop or coin dealer and see what you get. Good luck with that.

Message 14 of 52
latest reply

Insane Seller Fees

It's closer to 13% than 20%.  I don't promote, I use other strategies.  When I had a B&M store I paid about $2000 in rent and another few hundred for utilities.  EBay's $75 rent is a bargain.  Before I had that store I consigned items with a 50/50 split, again eBay is a bargain. 

EBay is not just a selling platform with buyers and sellers to satisfy.  They are a business with employees and stockholders for whom they are accountable.  They would be negligent to not try and make every cent they can.  I wouldn't be comfortable with them as a business partner if they were not diligent.  

Message 15 of 52
latest reply