cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Inkjet printers being sold with no ink.....

Why do people sell inkjet printers that are 'new' or 'open box' and advertised with 'no ink'?

Are sellers that crooked or chintzy?

Thanks!

Message 1 of 21
latest reply
20 REPLIES 20

Re: Inkjet printers being sold with no ink.....

Because the ink costs more than the all in one printer.  you wouldn't be talking about Pixma printers? That's the case with those.

Message 2 of 21
latest reply

Probably because they don't have the ink.  Maybe some are from buying returns pallets.  

Message 3 of 21
latest reply

There are a few possible reasons:

1) Open box new printer with sample size ink.  Ink is expired.  Seller does not want to sell  expired ink and have it clog up the printer.

2) Open box new printer... Ink is NOT expired.  Sellers are trying to double dip and sell the ink separately.  Look at their listings (including sold) and see if they are doing that.

3) They acquired the printer with no ink because the person they sourced it from are doing either 1 or 2 above.

Any seller who lists a printer as "new" and not "open box" with no ink should re-consider that it is not new if the ink has been removed from the box.

All just my opinion from selling printers.  I am sure there are plenty of other reasons.

Message 4 of 21
latest reply

IT's cheaper to buy a new printer. buy a printer use the ink, sell the printer, buy a new printer with ink.

Message 5 of 21
latest reply

What is crooked about selling a printer with no ink ? If you read the description and see it says no ink you buy the printer then go out and get you some ink.

Message 6 of 21
latest reply

lol

Message 7 of 21
latest reply

because ink is expensive and many printers actually do not come with more then starter ink...which is like 10 prints if lucky...likely they take the starts and sell them + sell the printer separately and make more profit that way. Is it cheesy? Yeah, but wouldn't surprise me. 

The great truth is there isn't one
And it only gets worse since that conclusion...
...There is something about the rigid posture of a proper, authentic blind
As if extended arms reached to pass his blindness onto others.
Message 8 of 21
latest reply

@wheeler1044 wrote:

Why do people sell inkjet printers that are 'new' or 'open box' and advertised with 'no ink'?

Are sellers that crooked or chintzy?

Thanks!

1) They buy a new printer for $50 and use up the all the ink that comes with the printer. 

2) They see that new ink costs $70, so they buy a new printer for $50 and take the ink. 

3) They sell the new printer as "new without ink" for $30 and effective pay $20 for new ink instead of $70.

Message 9 of 21
latest reply

Truth:      If an inkjet  printer has ever been used, and the ink cartridge in it sets idle and unused for more than three weeks, you will use up the cartridge's remaining ink supply running the printer through "cleaning" cycles just to get the cartridge to print again if ever.  If an inkjet printer sets without a cartridge after being used, even a few days, you will probably use up at least one ink cartridge getting it to print again, if at all because the residual ink has dried up in the print head and it may or may not ever feed ink again. Unless " new and no ink"  NEVER used,  walk away from used ones or demand  photos of current test print examples to prove it works.  Otherwise you are just buying someone else's problem.    This is from my 50 year's repair experience which even predates the inkjet invention. I retired after 37 years with a tool bag.

Message 10 of 21
latest reply

It also dries out sitting even never been  opened.    FYI a laser printer is a better value in the long run.

Message 11 of 21
latest reply

Unbundling is a business model.   There could be a thousand answers to your question.  Why ask why?

Message 12 of 21
latest reply

If the printer is listed "without ink", and the buyer buys it after reading that description, don't understand the problem.  It seems like the printer is as described.  

Message 13 of 21
latest reply

I suppose they sell the printers that way because people will buy printers without ink.  People buy them just for the ink cartridge and donate the unused printer to the thrift store where it eventually finds it way to eBay.   They scan the bar code and sell.  Many people get a new item such as a coffee maker and put the old in the box and donate.  The thrift store tapes it shut and some people are fooled into thinking it's new.

Message 14 of 21
latest reply

Uh, if you are a thrift store shopper like me, you will either open the tape yourself, or you will find a store employee to do it for you.  

Makes sense when the box picture shows nice china, but contains a failed toaster oven.  

Message 15 of 21
latest reply