cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Increasing number of dishonest sellers?

Is it just me, or, are any other sellers seeing an increase in numbers of buyers that are opening up returns for false reasons or looking for a partial refund of some sort? I understand times are tough right now for many people out there, some of which being sellers themselves, I'm guessing this could be a cause for it.

Message 1 of 27
latest reply
26 REPLIES 26

I think the countries/worlds financial woes due to CV19 has probably made people do things they wouldn't have done before

Message 2 of 27
latest reply

No way to tell........

Message 3 of 27
latest reply

I truly hope that corvettestainless is not right.  If so, it is a very sad state that during tough times it brings out the worst in so many and not the kindness and honesty that is so important for us all.  My hope is that we are just more aware because so many more people have extra time to voice things that have already been happening. If you go into any customer service in a brick and mortar store, I'm sure you would hear that they get exponentially more complaints than compliments.  I know I have much more time on my hands, the last few months, but I prefer, if possible, to see and relay the positive.

I wish everyone only positive success as a buyer or seller, patience and good health!

Grandma

Message 4 of 27
latest reply

I think you meant increase in dishonest BUYERS not sellers in the title.

evry1nositswindy  •  seller since 2013
Volunteer Community Mentor

Message 5 of 27
latest reply

I agree ! Most sellers and buyers are good but the newer buyers are learning that ebay policies do not protect the sellers nearly enough so that encourages the bad apples ! I have seen on different post where the sellers that are having the scamming problem are from buyers without too many feed backs ! It is a shame ! Most sellers are working their butts off to be good sellers and have been around and trusted a long time but ebay does not side with them nearly often enough !

Message 6 of 27
latest reply

I think it's because word gets around that eBay is an easy place to steal from... thanks to the Buyer Protection Program and people at eBay who don't really care about the sellers' situations and just rule in favor of scam buyers.  It's pretty obvious from reading these boards that great sellers are being taken advantage of every day here with no protection up front and no recourse after the claims are filed.  It's bad.

Message 7 of 27
latest reply

I figure the scammers/dishonest folks are reading these threads and honing their skills.

I never had problems like I have had this year.  The problems I have experienced have been with new/few feedback users.   

Yes I know everyone has to start somewhere, I am just stating the facts with the issues I have had.  

I would not think of selling an very costly item on eBay now.  

I think it is a sign-of-the-times with the culture of some people now.  Just my opinion.   

Message 8 of 27
latest reply

@this_one_will_work_2013 wrote:

Is it just me, or, are any other sellers seeing an increase in numbers of buyers that are opening up returns for false reasons or looking for a partial refund of some sort? I understand times are tough right now for many people out there, some of which being sellers themselves, I'm guessing this could be a cause for it.

Many sellers are reporting an increase, many sellers are reporting a decrease, and many sellers are reporting no change. 

As a regular reader of this board my observation is that "full refund" fraud reports seem to far outnumber "partial refund" fraid reports. 

Many 

Message 9 of 27
latest reply

I have had problems with purchases, all or which were from dealers in China, who seem to have a different set of values about integrity and honesty.  I am not saying that all Chinese dealers don't have integrity - but in my case, all the dealers I have had problems with, came from China.  Making me shy about doing buying from such dealers. 

Message 10 of 27
latest reply

Especially foreign sellers ie China, when an item is returned they do NOT acknowledge receipt of the returned items and thereby keep the returned items and help themselves to the money you paid when purchased not forgetting the return postage cost to China 

Ebay needs to rid themselves of the dishonest sellers or lose buyers by the thousands from EBay altogether

when a seller receives ex amount negative feedback they should be locked out for 6-12 months then they will think twice about ripping off genuine EBay buyers

Message 11 of 27
latest reply

I cannot feel sorry for anyone that would want to deal with them anyway !! They are also the main reason for the current world troubles !! pretty cut n dry for me !! They do not have a thing I would ever want !

Message 12 of 27
latest reply

@little*blackdog wrote:

I think it's because word gets around that eBay is an easy place to steal from...

All the YouTube videos on how to get free stuff on Ebay doesn't help either.

Have a great day
Message 13 of 27
latest reply

@jim2358 wrote:

Especially foreign sellers ie China, when an item is returned they do NOT acknowledge receipt of the returned items and thereby keep the returned items and help themselves to the money you paid when purchased not forgetting the return postage cost to China 

Ebay needs to rid themselves of the dishonest sellers or lose buyers by the thousands from EBay altogether

when a seller receives ex amount negative feedback they should be locked out for 6-12 months then they will think twice about ripping off genuine EBay buyers

The scamming China sellers are a sore point with me.   You MUST be sure to return items to China with Priority Mail because USPS does not have 1st class delivery confirmation in their country.  Without proof of delivery ebay can not force a refund.  

Never pay return shipping for an item that is not as described.  The seller must send the money to your paypal account to pay for the return shipping if they want the item back BEFORE you return it.  

The best way to avoid this particular issue though is to not buy from China. 

Comics-scifi_collectibles Is a Volunteer Community Mentor.
I have been a seller since 2003

Message 14 of 27
latest reply

Just had one this week. Sold her 2 sets of 3/4" wooden apple shapes and she meant to get the one inch so she reported to eBay that I sent the wrong size (she showed a photo of a 1/2" WIDTH measurement - it is 3/4" TALL!) and I had to pay the return shipping so she could then get the one inch ones. Will get a ding on my performance for that "being MY fault"! She's a seller and knew well what she just did. Just dishonest - and BLOCKED!

Message 15 of 27
latest reply