cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

In trouble - need help!

On Monday December 7th I shipped just over 90 packages.  I took them to my Post Office and with the help of a postal employee loaded them into bins separated by first class and Priority.  Later in the day they were loaded onto the afternoon outgoing truck and taken away.  Approximately 60 were first class and 30 were Priority.  The Priority ones have mostly been delivered, but in the last few days I have been getting INR cases opened and I have figured out that they are all for packages shipped that day and they all say "departed (my) post office" that day and nothing else.  

I see potential disaster coming.  Besides the financial loss of a couple thousand dollars how much trouble will I be in with eBay if I have upwards of 60 INR refunds?  I'm sure to get the increase in fees plus lose my TRS status, maybe get kicked off the sight?  I can prove they got to the Post Office but there is no delivery so far.  Actually one got delivered, I figure it got accidentally put into the Priority bin.

Losing my ability to sell here would be a financial disaster for me.  It is not my only income but this year it has been a mainstay because of COVID restrictions/financial losses on my retail store & rental properties. 

Any ideas would be appreciated!

----------------------------
Successful and experienced seller since 1997, over 70,000 feedback, boardie since the boards were begun.
Message 1 of 25
latest reply
24 REPLIES 24

In trouble - need help!

[UPDATE] Helping buyers understand shipping delays and what you need to do

https://community.ebay.com/t5/Announcements/Helping-buyers-understand-shipping-delays-and-what-you-n... 

Message 2 of 25
latest reply

In trouble - need help!

If there was tracking then there is proof.It all depends on if the package was scanned at delivery.If not then the only option I can see here is;usps insurance covers up to $50 per package unless the package had been scanned at delivery.Might not help but I hope for the best turnout for you.Sincerely, Jeff 

Message 3 of 25
latest reply

In trouble - need help!

Unfortunately I've had this. My post office is overworked and understaffed and stuff goes silent sometimes for a few days.

I would recommend this:

1. Answer each buyer politely explaining that it was given in to the post office. They should be able to see that from tracking. Don't give extra info and say you will follow up with USPS.

2. Reach out to buyers who didn't complain yet.

3. Open a case for each tracking number with USPS, it sometimes suddenly shows up day after when I do this.

4. Speak to your local Post office manager

5. Call eBay and show that they were all mailed out on time.

6. Pray...

Hope this gets fixed soon. I had same problem this week with a few packages (2 ebay account & other seller platform). They have all (but 1) shown up by now. I'm very open with customers and they can check tracking so they see themselves... Most will be patient when realize its not your fault.

Message 4 of 25
latest reply

In trouble - need help!

@myboardid 

Read here for a few added protections regarding feedback. seller ratings,  metrics, etc.   You will still be refunding, however, for parcels that don't move or get deliverd for there is no monetary protections offered.  If the product arrives after the buyer has been refunded,  you are still at the mercy of a buyer's honesty regarding if they will repay or send the item back.  Nobody will MAKE them do it. 

https://community.ebay.com/t5/Announcements/UPDATE-Helping-buyers-understand-shipping-delays-and-wha...

Message 5 of 25
latest reply

In trouble - need help!

I read the announcements and the supposed protections, but none of these packages show any movement at all after being dropped at the PO and then having "departed" the same.

Mackenzie - these are all first class packages, I thought the insurance was only for Priority.

I've done all the things Smileytown has suggested except see my postmaster and I am planning to go there tomorrow.  and I'm debating whether to contact buyers who haven't yet complained or let sleeping dogs lie in hopes they won't fuss before they get delivery.  But we are more than 10 days out now.

----------------------------
Successful and experienced seller since 1997, over 70,000 feedback, boardie since the boards were begun.
Message 6 of 25
latest reply

In trouble - need help!

In the event you have to refund and it gets delivered, below is a repay request.....Mine did pay up, choosing the relist option. I did call concierge and he advised the relist option, but did say they would keep notes and not think I was trying to take the repay off ebay to avoid fees, if they chose paypal. I think this may work well as it gives choices but also seems to involve ebay which may help persuade people to pay.....certainly they can and may ignore the message....and not repay, but better to try than just abandon the effort or try to threaten them in paying.....

You will need to reword......

Hi: I see this item was delivered about 6 hrs after I refunded.......I do, obviously, apologize for the length of time it took to get there, but with the problems with USPS/covid/Xmas......it must have taken a slow boat to Hawaii. I would appreciate repayment for the item. You can use the PayPal send money option ($your amount) to (your email) or, if you have no paypal account, I can relist the item, you can pay and then we both mark it shipped. These options are the ones recommended by Ebay in the call I made to them as to how to handle this. Please let me know which option you prefer.......Thank, your name

Hope you don't have to use it, but hope it works if you do.........so sorry it happened.

I should say........I did the relist at a high price and then the buyer made an offer with the agreed amount......

Message 7 of 25
latest reply

In trouble - need help!

My Board, I have the same problem but on a much smaller scale and on top of that the scanning system broke down at our PO on that day so NO packages were scanned as accepted (info spilled by a PO employee).  Uh Oh, what to do?

Well I wrote a note to each seller (made in Word and copied to eBay email) about what happened and their package might not receive a scan until it is delivered to them.  I reassured them that they were delivered to the PO on Dec 8.  BTW, one  has been delivered with a scan.  The rest are in limbo!

On another note, everything else is sitting at the Atlanta Distribution Center or at the airport waiting for a flight out.

Message 8 of 25
latest reply

In trouble - need help!

EBAY has new guidelines regarding delayed packages.   If customer files INR and tracking SHOWS MOVEMENTS within the past 10 days....EBAY will allow additional 10 for package to be delivered.   If still not delivered...you must issue full refund. 

If tracking shows NO MOVEMENT...you are required to give full refund by EBAY deadline (believe that is 3 days).   If you delay in giving refund...EBAY will step in & give refund and you will get defect.

EBAY also protects Seller against negative feedback because of shipping delays (for packages mailed on Dec. 16-31).

Sorry you had to go through this...times are crazy right now.  

Message 9 of 25
latest reply

In trouble - need help!

I would start submitting the Help Request Forms from USPS, now.

https://www.usps.com/help/missing-mail.htm

Most of those packages might all be sitting in the same trailer(s) at a distribution center near you.  

They should be shaking loose at some point soon.  Get the Help Request Forms started on all of them. 

Message 10 of 25
latest reply

In trouble - need help!

I'm sure to get the increase in fees plus lose my TRS status, maybe get kicked off the sight? 

This only happens if you do not resolve the INR before Ebay has to step in and do it.  So simply don't allow that to happen.  Note your dates and make sure you either get an extension on the with Ebay if they haven't arrived [you can only get that if there is some recent movement] or refund the buyer.

If I have to refund my buyer, I send then an email first letting them know that I'm refunding, but it is highly likely that the package will arrive.  I remind them that I am getting updates on the package and will be notified when it arrives.  So when that happens I then tell them they have a choice to make.  Keep the package and re-pay me or notify me that they want to return it.

Always a polite and professional email.  But it works.  Just a little reminder that you are watching and you will know when it is delivered seem to help keep them honest.

I can only imagine how stressful this is.  I've hand an unusual amount of INRs that I was having trouble tracking because I had so many.  Not 60 but way more than is normal.  I know you haven't got 60 INRs and hopefully you will not learn how to handle that many.  But don't over react because you are scared or concerned. 

REMEMBER just DON'T let Ebay force the refund and you'll be fine.  It won't even affect your TRS status.

And it won't affect your Service Metrics either with the Ebay recently announced protections.

https://community.ebay.com/t5/Announcements/UPDATE-Helping-buyers-understand-shipping-delays-and-wha...

If they start coming in and you need to chat, send me an email.  I'll listen.  I'll help if I can.  You don't have to do this alone.  I'm just a few keystrokes away!!!

mam98031  •  Volunteer Community Member  •  Buyer/Seller since 1999
Message 11 of 25
latest reply

In trouble - need help!

I'm sorry this happened to you. I know you're an old timer here so i wont talk to you about what you should and shouldn't do.

What i will say is that i hope these packages have all just gone "off radar" for a while.  I've had it happen to me hundreds of times, never 60 packages at a time, but it happens quite often.  Packages that show no movement for days or even up to a week or more ... them miraculously get delivered. 

Hang in there. Pray. Cross your fingers. Do whatever you gotta do.

I have faith the the USPS will eventually get your packages delivered.

Happy holidays and stay safe!

Papa Was A Rolling Stone - The Temptations
Message 12 of 25
latest reply

In trouble - need help!

general reply.............

have no fear................usps will persevere

TGIF and all that happy stuff.......you packages are going to be just fine.I do not see any arriving late.

thats because I do not look at tracking....take a deep breath.....your packages will be just fine

this group of packages is going to be just fine.......just like the next 90 packages

keep on selling and shipping................thats all we can do

Germantown proud Germantown strong
up the whiskey hickon
moving right along
Message 13 of 25
latest reply

In trouble - need help!

I'm sorry this is happening to you. I've been selling long enough and visited the boards frequently enough to remember your positing ID.

eBay has recently put a policy in place that should help limit the bleeding, but I'd come up with a plan on how to get them to enforce/enact it. It's great they are adding these "protections" but if it requires communication with them to see the benefits----as I'm sure you're aware, that's easier said then done.

I'm in the same boat with INR's' due to postal service issues. My numbers are small enough where I can request call backs from USPS (to avoid being on hold for an hour+), open inquiries, get e-mails with the service request numbers and send those to the buyers along with carefully worded but sympathetic messages to buy myself some time.

Others have posted a strategy on how to relist to get repayment after a refund, but in doing so and just marking the package as shipped (with no tracking number) wouldn't that also mess up a sellers metrics??

Either way, I am hopeful that you start to get some relief in the form of deliveries and that you have compassionate buyers. It's a shame that someone selling as long and as frequently as you have, would even have to worry about unrepairable damage to your selling account but we all know that's the eBay we're dealing now

Message 14 of 25
latest reply

In trouble - need help!

@myboardid 

Here is some updated information from eBay.

[UPDATE] Helping buyers understand shipping delays... - The eBay Community

EDIT:

ahhhh, I see other members have already provided this info.   Great job!

Message 15 of 25
latest reply