cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

In state purchase (NJ) but charged NM state tax???

cuervo759
Adventurer

Would someone kindly shed some light on the reason that I am being charged New Mexico state tax when I am in New Jersey and purchasing from a New Jersey seller? Is this what happens when people drop ship? Thanks in advance for any info.

Message 1 of 9
latest reply
8 REPLIES 8

Re: In state purchase (NJ) but charged NM state tax???

Actually, you should be being billed for NJ sales tax.

"It is an intelligent man that is aware of his own ignorance."
Message 2 of 9
latest reply

That would only be the case if the seller had a physical presence in NJ.  If not, then the seller needs to be reported to the appropriate agencies.

If it works, sell it. If it works well, sell it for more. If it doesn't work, quadruple the price and sell it as an antique.

-- Ferengi Rule of Acquisition #80
Message 3 of 9
latest reply

How did the seller answer this query?

Message 4 of 9
latest reply

Well... "item location" is NJ and I'm the buyer also in NJ. I was charged $1.33 NM sales tax. I assumed that it was being drop shipped and not wanting to make them wait I went ahead and paid before I received an answer here.
I seem to remember this happening before and it had something to do with the location of distribution centers. While I realise $1.33 is not an awful lot of money if it was a glitch, mistake or theft, I would like to find out. As a seller also I would not want this happening to my customers.

Should I try to find out through eBay or PayPal? Thank you for your help and replies.

Message 5 of 9
latest reply

Because when you choose the state for sales tax it's a drop down menu and somebody clicked on NM by accident below NJ when listing the item.

May be worth alerting the seller as it's possible this error is in all their listings.   Or not, it's not your responsibility.    

Message 6 of 9
latest reply

Many sellers are charging various State sales tax, but not remitting it, just another source of income for them.

Message 7 of 9
latest reply

I have a feeling that you are correct. I thought possibly it was a typo but the drop down mistake makes more sense. I will let the seller know. Thank you

Message 8 of 9
latest reply

@postingid7659 wrote:

Because when you choose the state for sales tax it's a drop down menu and somebody clicked on NM by accident below NJ when listing the item.

Good catch, but it's more likely an off-by-one programming error in the list index. So it shows NJ, but the underlying list index is for NM.

Because even if the seller had accidentally selected NM instead of NJ, eBay would only assess sales tax if the shipping address is in NM.

Message 9 of 9
latest reply