cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Seller gets refund for unused return label?

When a buyers requests return, seller approves and uses eBay generated pre-paid USPS return label. What if buyer later on never ships back item? Does seller get refund/credit automatically for unused shipping label and when?

Message 1 of 8
latest reply
7 REPLIES 7

Yes, if I recall correctly it's about 15 days for refunds.

In fact, I believe if it's never scanned, you don't get charged.. 

~Pika~
People in life that are the happiest don't have the most,, they make the most of what they have...

Message 2 of 8
latest reply

I might be wrong, but I don't think it gets charged to you until they actually use it.  

Message 3 of 8
latest reply

Yes. You can call Ebay and expedite the process. I have one I'm calling about today, actually. As long as there is no ongoing communication with the buyer, they will close it out. My buyer had til the 31st of July to use the label.

Also, Lintbrush is correct. The reason I'm calling is because when a buyer initiates a return, they put a hold on the purchase amount of the item in question. I'm calling to get those funds released.

Message 4 of 8
latest reply

"When a buyer initiates a return, they put a hold on the purchase amount of the item in question. I'm calling to get those funds released." ------ NOT necessarily true!

For me, some times put on hold in PayPal, some times not at all. It's random.

Message 5 of 8
latest reply

@crazyitguy wrote:

"When a buyer initiates a return, they put a hold on the purchase amount of the item in question. I'm calling to get those funds released." ------ NOT necessarily true!

Yes, they do. They absolutely put a hold on any amount that is in dispute. This is how they ensure that the funds can be given back if/when the seller loses the dispute.

Message 6 of 8
latest reply

"They absolutely put a hold on any amount that is in dispute" --- that's NOT necessarily true! At least for me. 

In the past, I also believed so until some day when a buyer withdrew return request after he filed request several days ago. I expected the PayPal frozen funds associated to this transaction would be immediately available to me again when the return request was withdrawn. However I double checked my PayPal account, there is NO change in balance or available funds at all! Initially I thought that was an error where I did not get the money in question back. But after careful study, I found the funds had been NEVER put on hold or frozen at all!

From then, I have been monitoring every transaction in PayPal with an eBay return request. It turns out sometimes the money in question will be put on hold but sometimes not. I guess how PayPal process this will be related to your account's credibility including account history/sales volume/dispute history, etc. Or it  may be just random.

This secret I found above has never been released by some one else before. Every one else believe PayPal funds will be put on hold whenever a return is requested, but that is not necessarily true. This is the first time the secret is disclosed online.

Message 7 of 8
latest reply

@pantlandia wrote:

@crazyitguy wrote:

Yes, they do. They absolutely put a hold on any amount that is in dispute. This is how they ensure that the funds can be given back if/when the seller loses the dispute.

Just wanted to fix that typo.

Joe

Message 8 of 8
latest reply