cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Improper estimated delivery dates

How do others deal with the improper estimated deliver dates that eBay provides to its buyer? 

My dilemma is that I sell low cost decals/stickers.  Because of that, I use "economy shipping" a stamp and envelope with no tracking.  If I were to purchase a shipping method with tracking, many of the items I sell would result in me actually paying more than I received on the sale or only pennies of a profit.  I've accepted that it's a risk that buyers can turn around and claim they never received an item for which I'd be required to issue a refund or receive an infraction and forced a refund.  But the pathway that the buyers have for that, is where the problem lies.

The main issue is that eBay is telling the buyer that they'll receive the item anywhere from 1-6 business days, despite me choosing "economy shipping 1-10 business days".  It gives the buyer a false expectation of when they'll receive the item.  The buyer then thinks the seller isn't fulfilling their part of the transaction if they don't receive it in a handful of days.  For one, economy shipping will never arrive overnight, so using 1-10 business days is already completely misleading.  Secondly, USPS, themselves, state that this method of shipping is estimated to arrive between 3-10 business days but that it's not a guarantee and can take longer in some instances.  Why then, is eBay misleading the customer, thus setting sellers up for failure?

I, 100% of the time ship orders out the day it's received or the next business day.  However, the estimated delivery dates have resulted in me receiving several opened cases against me for item not received, before they even reach that 10-business day threshold.  Fortunately, I've been able to reach most of those buyers and explain the situation, which results in them understanding and giving it a couple of more days to where they receive their order. 

But, what happens when you can't reach the buyer to explain the situation?  The latest one is for an item not received just 6 business days after purchasing it.  The buyer will not respond to my attempts at communications, 3 messages and two voicemails.  So, in the end, I'll be left with having to provide a refund or receive an infraction and forced a refund.  The kicker is that the time that I've been given to resolve the case would take it to 9 business days from their purchase, which means, I'll have to refund the buyer for an item not received when it hasn't even been a full 10 business days, which is the estimated shipping time that I specifically choose when setting my listings.  So, the buyer will receive the refund and still likely receive their product after the case has been resolved, thus providing the buyer with free product.

I've spoken to eBay and suggested the following:  (Which I know they'll never change)

(1) Estimated shipping times should be based on the actual USPS estimated delivery of the type of shipping you're using.  (Economy, for instance, should estimate 3-10 business days to the customer with a footnote stating that it's still just an estimate and not a guarantee)

(2) Buyers should not be able to open a case against a buyer for item not received until it's been at least 1 week past the ETA.  We all know how inconsistent the USPS is, so proving that window would allow the buyer a fair chance at their customer receiving the item prior to them actually being able to open a case.

(3) If a buyer opens a case against a seller and the seller has documented proof of trying to communicate in order to resolve the matter, yet the buyer does not respond, the case should automatically be closed in the seller's favor.

The above parameters would not eliminate the fraudulent buyer who knows how to manipulate the system for free product and their refund, but again, I've accepted that there will be a small percentage of those.  What it will help with, however, is to eliminate those false expectations to the buyer and prevent cases from being opened up prior to an adequate amount of time passing for the item to be received.  In many of the cases opened against me for item not received, the buyer ends up receiving the item within just a few days later.  

This isn't a case of me being upset at any particular negative feedback incident, as I currently have 100% feedback, but a lot of that has to do with me having to track down these buyers who open cases and plea with them to realize this isn't a seller issue. 

Anyone else selling low-cost items that have to deal with this and if so, how do you handle it?  Any others with suggestions that can help? 

Message 1 of 48
latest reply
47 REPLIES 47

Re: Improper estimated delivery dates

I agree, without tracking, you're basically screwed.  That's not my point, however.  I'm aware there will be an item here or there that goes missing and without tracking, I'll be left to refund, send a replacement, or whatever I can work out with my customer.  I'm good with that.  And I've had success.  So far, 100% feedback after over 4000 items sold.  And most of my items, like you have experienced, as well, are always delivered quickly.  However, on occasion, once every couple of months, I'll have a buyer open a case after just 5 business days, stating INR.  It's largely because eBay sets the expectation that they'll receive it quickly, when they shouldn't.  If I'm selecting "economy shipping 1-10 business days" (PER EBAY), then the estimated delivery date by eBay on my listings, should reflect that same 1-10 business days.  (+ whatever handling time is selected) 

I just don't see why eBay would allow a seller to select 1-10 day delivery and then turn around and tell a buyer they'll get it in 5 days.  Makes no sense.

Message 31 of 48
latest reply

Can't  say how your PO works but ours in a county of 133K  out going mail that is received at  the main PO plus the mail  collected out of those blue outside drop boxes.  Tthere are some PO's that are one man bands and work short hours) is taken to the  local regional sort office around 3:30 PM.  Mail carriers drop their received mail off at the sort center whenever they finish their assigned route - could be early could be late - like 8 PM depending on man power issues..  For the  most part our route carrier picked up  our out going packages on  occasions  if I was traveling close to the PO or if the buyer was  in a rush I would drop it off at the PO.   While I always  had 1  day handling I would ship on Saturdays if I was paid on late Friday or while I was sleeping  or if I was  paid before my carrier came I would ship the same day - just good Customer  Service.   I shipped all my stuff via Priority Mail until First Class package came along.  Didn't  sell low  priced  very light items - My average selling price was over $35 + shipping/handling, my profit  margin was very decent after all cost including an estimated amount for the selling fees  on sales taxes the buyer paid ~55% based on my total selling price (not including taxes) including shipping/handling.

Gave up selling on eBay to spend more time with my 3.75 y.o. grandson - take him fishing,eat yogurt with,  listen to Louis Armstrong - taught him how to shake his  booty to  the Motown Sound on vinyl and play  pool & roll dice on  our pool table - the rules are his way.and we have dinosaur fights too.  More fun  than selling. for this 44  model  person.

"I have the right to remain silent but I didn't have the ability." Ron White, Fritch, Texas
"Stay away from negative people, they have a problem for every solution." A. Einstein
The Devil made me do it! - Flip Wilson
If the band can only play loud - they ain't no good - peps too J.R. Johnson
Message 32 of 48
latest reply

I'm in the San Francisco Bay Area. I sometimes have problems with eBay's estimate delivery of local media mail. That's because eBay figures local media mail should be delivered within a couple of days. But media mail and parcel post gets trucked 400+ miles to Southern California for sorting and then back up here. So a book I send media mail to a delivery address 10-30 miles away actually travels 800+ miles. (I don't understand how it can be cost effective for the PO to do this).

Message 33 of 48
latest reply

That's not true at all.  After each sale, you can pull up the details and see the exact estimated dates that eBay provides to the buyer.  Each sale, regardless of what part of the US they're located in, shows something less than 10 business days.

Message 34 of 48
latest reply

I appreciate this response as some in here are acting like I'm doing something wrong to cause extended shipping. Overall, however, that's not even my gripe.  My gripe is eBay using different estimations than what we choose when listing the item.  

Message 35 of 48
latest reply

I  will pay the  media seller's like  you  ,  extra  for faster USPS shipping  and  will as if  seller  doesn't have it listed.  

Message 36 of 48
latest reply

@gil-t-designs  Very serious. 12 days is plenty of time. I have NEVER had a package take more than 12 days.

Message 37 of 48
latest reply

For those recommending increasing handling time.

eBay has said multiple times that they base the estimated delivery displayed to the buyer based on historical ship times by the seller. So, even if you have a 10-day handling time but always ship the next day, their estimated delivery shown to the buyer is based on the historical shipping the next day, and not the 10-day handling time.  

ebay historical ship time.jpg 

Message 38 of 48
latest reply

This is a major issue for me then, because I send probably 95% or more of my orders the same day as receiving it.  Any order I receive up to an hour before my post office closes, I always send out same day.  (Benefit of living 2 minutes away from it)  So, in essence, I'm punished for being prompt, due to the post offices slowness and eBay's false estimations.

Message 39 of 48
latest reply

The flag means nothing. As I explained, changing my handling times has no effect at all on estimates given to my buyers.

Message 40 of 48
latest reply

I used Time Away in April and my store was to reopen 5/5 - while on Time Away my Estimated Delivery Dates were showing 10 days from the time the item sold, not three days from 5/5 when my store reopened.  I thought it was just a glitch and it would fix itself once my store reopened.  It hasn't.  After contacting eBay many many times, my EDD are still showing dates July 12-19 and my ship by date for items I sell today is July 11th.  I have a three day handling time.  I never changed it...this all stems from using Time Away....and no help from eBay.  The last time I contacted them they told me no one would be able to update me on the status of my "ticket" they supposedly sent into IT.  I have asked for help on community pages and no one has a solution either.  This is extremely frustrating.  The only thing different I did was use Time Away.  

Message 41 of 48
latest reply

Finding hard to compute "improper" with "estimate" — if it's an estimate..

Message 42 of 48
latest reply

Because when I setup my listing, I choose the "economy shipping 1-10 business days" ETA, yet then for the buyer, eBay tells them the ETA is most often 4-7 business days.  The two should match, that's why it's improper.

Whether it's an ETA or not, they should be identical for both the buyer and the seller.  Too many buyers look at that date range and don't see it as ETA, they see it as when it WILL arrive.

Message 43 of 48
latest reply

Here's one... Ebay changed a priority mail item from delivery in 3-5 days to over 3 weeks for delivery. How did they do that? Darn if I know but ebay made me wait 3 weeks to open a case for the damaged item that finally arrived after almost a month. Then they gave the seller more and more time trying to avoid the return. Ebay does not follow their own polices for either buyer and seller. It is often willy nilly and good luck. My way of dealing with it? I will not sell or buy here anymore. Naysayers will say "price of doing business, deal with it".  Better you than me. 

Message 44 of 48
latest reply

@ulfesharpe wrote:

Finding hard to compute "improper" with "estimate" — if it's an estimate..

eBay considers eBay's delivery (estimate) as part of the sellers description.

Any item that arrives a day late the buyer can open a SNAD return and return

it to the seller on the sellers dime if they chose to do so.

eBay Money Back Guarantee policy

https://www.ebay.com/help/policies/ebay-money-back-guarantee-policy/ebay-money-back-guarantee-policy... 

1.jpg

Message 45 of 48
latest reply