cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

If accepted a return can I offer to refund half price if buyer keeps item

Is it too late to offer buyer half  their money back if they keep the item . I have accepted return  but not printed return label.

Message 1 of 8
latest reply
1 BEST ANSWER

Accepted Solutions

@namron8mont wrote:

Hmmmm going to read up on the shipping label more carefully as understood seller has to send buyer return label when NAD to get item returned.

You are correct.  But what I responded to was your statement "Is it too late to offer buyer half  their money back if they keep the item . I have accepted return  but not printed return label."  You do not "print" the label, the buyer does that.  They get access to it when you accept the INAD if you allowed Ebay to generate the return label.

mam98031  •  Volunteer Community Member  •  Buyer/Seller since 1999

View Best Answer in original post

Message 8 of 8
latest reply
7 REPLIES 7

Yes; you already accepted return- BEFORE you did that was the time to OFFER the buyer something else (and know that most will not take it- after all, who would take $20 on a $40 if it doesn't work, is broken, not as described etc.?? 

Message 2 of 8
latest reply

@namron8mont wrote:

Is it too late to offer buyer half  their money back if they keep the item . I have accepted return  but not printed return label.

You don't print the label, your buyer does as they have the item that has to be returned.  Check with your buyer and ask if they have shipped the item back to you yet.  Don't say anything about the refund just yet.  You need to find out if they shipped it.  

Message 3 of 8
latest reply

Hmmmm going to read up on the shipping label more carefully as understood seller has to send buyer return label when NAD to get item returned.

Message 4 of 8
latest reply

Whether you purchase the label outside of ebay or if you opt for ebay to send the label with the acceptance of the return, the buyer gets a PDF and prints it themselves to attach to the return package. 

albertabrightalberta
Volunteer Community Mentor

Message 5 of 8
latest reply

Since you are in Canada a label is not automatic and you will have to send a label that you purchased.  You would probably send it as a .pdf.  If you haven’t sent a label and you and the buyer can agree on a partial refund,  I think that the buyer would have to close the return request before you could give a partial refund.  But it is a lot to expect a buyer to close a request before a refund, 

It is a good idea when posting on .com to mention that you are in Canada as that may require posters to reply differently.

Message 6 of 8
latest reply

Since you accepted the return, ebay has already sent them a label to print and use, so yes, it is too late. The buyer has to use it within the timeframe that ebay tells them to use it. If they don't return it by a certain date, case closed and you can give them a full or partial refund then. Don't do anything until you receive notice from ebay that it has either shipped, or delivered to you.

Message 7 of 8
latest reply

@namron8mont wrote:

You are correct.  But what I responded to was your statement "Is it too late to offer buyer half  their money back if they keep the item . I have accepted return  but not printed return label."  You do not "print" the label, the buyer does that.  They get access to it when you accept the INAD if you allowed Ebay to generate the return label.

Message 8 of 8
latest reply