cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

If I accept a nonpayers cancellation request do they still get a non paying strike?

Some bum won an item and immediately filed a cancellation request (with no explanation why). Seeing as they had bid on the item earlier, and it wasn't just a one-off bid, I dont think it was an accidental over-bid (and irrelevant anyways) 

If I accept the cancellation request, does this loser still get a non-paying bidder strike? Or do I have to force the sale through and wait a couple days and open a case. 

Message 1 of 19
latest reply
1 BEST ANSWER

Accepted Solutions

If I accept a nonpayers cancellation request do they still get a non paying strike?

No they will not get a strike if transaction is cancelled  

It is usually to your advantage to cancel to end possible problem buyer but it is your decision

add this s/he to you BBB LIST

View Best Answer in original post

Message 4 of 19
latest reply
18 REPLIES 18

does this loser still get a non-paying bidder strike?

No.  In order to get awarded a non-paying bidder strike, you have to file the unpaid item dispute and the buyer does not pay before you are able to close it. 

Message 2 of 19
latest reply

I do not think they will get a Non Paying Strike unless you initiate it.

If they used the eBay button to request the cancellation you will not be able to initiate the Non Paying Buyer feature.

Message 3 of 19
latest reply

No they will not get a strike if transaction is cancelled  

It is usually to your advantage to cancel to end possible problem buyer but it is your decision

add this s/he to you BBB LIST

Message 4 of 19
latest reply

No, they don't get a strike if you accept a cancellation but imo, it is best to accept it.

If you refuse the cancellation and file an unpaid item strike, the buyer may pay and then file a return request when they receive the item saying that it is not as described. Then you will have to pay for return shipping.

It's best not to try to force someone to pay for something....cancel, relist and block the buyer.

Message 5 of 19
latest reply

If you accept the cancellation request they will not get a non paying strike. Their payment requirement will be ended.  If forced to buy and you send it out they could come up with a excuse for having you to send a return address label and possible. So best to accept and put them on block bidder/buyer list.

Don't sweat the petty things and don't pet the sweaty things.
Message 6 of 19
latest reply

@matneum_15 

Unless there has been a change, if the buyer did an official cancellation request you can not open a UPI.

Best to cancel at "buyers request" , and move on even if it was not official.

Force the issue.  Buyer can pay.   Get the item. Request a return for "not as described". Destroy the item, and ship it back on your dime for a full refund.

Will that happen?  Maybe, maybe not.  I never press my luck to find out.

Message 7 of 19
latest reply

One Possibility

They were interested in your item when they bid on it.  After showing an interest eBay will flood a potential buyer with like items and many times point out a cost difference/savings.  As a buyer this is like giving encouragement to cancel their order and purchase from another Seller.

Of course they could have just changed their mind and was hopping they would be outbid.  They forgot about it until they actually won and were then notified.

Message 8 of 19
latest reply

I was expecting that to be the case, whenever eBay has the chance they love to stick it to sellers. 

eBay should be banning these people on the 2nd offense. 

Message 9 of 19
latest reply

No, they don't get the strike.........but there is some evidence (buyer's gripes) that ebay does bar buyers who don't pay for items from buying anything except immediate payment items.  Whether that comes only from strike info....or includes cancellation requests. I don't think anyone knows...........  Naturally, not too many buyers admit to it happening so hard to draw a conclusion. 

Message 10 of 19
latest reply

@matneum_15 wrote:

I was expecting that to be the case, whenever eBay has the chance they love to stick it to sellers. 

eBay should be banning these people on the 2nd offense. 

eBay wants to be more like other sites.

Many, many sites allow someone to cancel within a set time without the seller even having to do anything to approve it. 

Message 11 of 19
latest reply

Just had my 2nd one of these in 3 days.The first was a 10 day auction starting at a penny with no reserve the buyer won for 136.00.Said it was his grandson who bid.The second one was a few minutes ago on an auction item that started at 135.11. He emailed 6 times.Here is one "I did not mean to
Bid on this is what I’m saying..." another "This was a mistake but I’ll take it if it’s a huge deal"another "I don’t want this" in response to my saying Go ahead and cancel it "I don’t know how that’s why I messaged you" ",It says to contact you"me"You need to go through Ebay Help,"No it says it too late to do that. It says to contact you to have you cancel it."

There's more but I got fed up and cancelled it.

Message 12 of 19
latest reply

The buyer will only get the strike if the seller files the unpaid item claim.  Most sellers just try to cancel so they can relist quickly.   If they get a strike they can't leave feedback either.    eBay does state  if you have excessive canceled orders on your accounts, we may limit or end your ability to buy on eBay.  Blocking these people is your best protection.

Message 13 of 19
latest reply

block em , dano

Message 14 of 19
latest reply

@matneum_15 

>does this loser still get a non-paying bidder strike?

If you cancel using "Buyer Request" as reason, no, the deadbeat buyer won't get a UPI strike. BUT, he can still leave you negative feedback. If you open a UPI case and follow it through and close it, he will get a strike and can't leave you negative feedback. I prefer the latter, but it's your choice.

Message 15 of 19
latest reply