cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

IRS just delayed the $600 reporting rule again for this year.

I just saw it on my news feed. 

The Race is over
The Rats won.
Message 1 of 38
latest reply
37 REPLIES 37

Re: IRS just delayed the $600 reporting rule again for this year.

@steady2304 wrote:

It still doesn't change anything for sellers who's State have already implemented the lower thresholds. It will just be harder to get one from eBay because they will claim it is not needed.

I went through this last year and didn't get the 1099K until late February because eBay insisted I didn't need one

eBay will comply with the State requirements that are currently in effect (presuming your account profile accurately reflects your location).

Message 16 of 38
latest reply

@steady2304 wrote:

It still doesn't change anything for sellers who's State have already implemented the lower thresholds. It will just be harder to get one from eBay because they will claim it is not needed.

I went through this last year and didn't get the 1099K until late February because eBay insisted I didn't need one

I'm surprised to read that, since I got a 1099-K promptly starting in 2018 when my state reduced the threshold to $600.

Message 17 of 38
latest reply

1099 K is cumulative no matter how many sites, or how many eBay accounts you sell from.  Sell $4900 from eBay and $101 from Etsy and .........CONGRATULATIONS!  You've just won a 1099 K!!!

Message 18 of 38
latest reply

They're still sore from last year.

Message 19 of 38
latest reply

@rustydalmatian wrote:

1099 K is cumulative no matter how many sites, or how many eBay accounts you sell from.  Sell $4900 from eBay and $101 from Etsy and .........CONGRATULATIONS!  You've just won a 1099 K!!!

Incorrect.

Message 20 of 38
latest reply

The IRS  in news reports    have stated they where never happy about  the 1099K  $600   limit  do to being over burden  too much paper work  . they have pushing for  $5,000  to $10,000  limit    1099K  filing .  

Message 21 of 38
latest reply

@rustydalmatian wrote:

That isn't true.

I sell 100K+ annually on ebay and I never get sent 1099s from the sites I sold crumbs on.

Message 22 of 38
latest reply

I don't think this delay matters for those in states who have their own threshold.  I'm in California, I think ours is $600 since 2022, if I'm not mistaken.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Then Jesus said, "Beware! Guard against every kind of greed. Life is not measured by how much you own."
Message 23 of 38
latest reply

No Ca. is more then $600  for the 1099K  .  

Message 24 of 38
latest reply

I just looked  it  up  California  Has $20 k .   once merchant  goes over it they  get  the 1099K .   

Message 25 of 38
latest reply

@carlmarxx wrote:

I just looked  it  up  California  Has $20 k .   once merchant  goes over it they  get  the 1099K .   

I'm pretty sure Gov. Newsom will put a stop to that soon.  Our state officials love taxes, which is why we pay the highest gas tax in the  nation. LOL!

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Then Jesus said, "Beware! Guard against every kind of greed. Life is not measured by how much you own."
Message 26 of 38
latest reply

@carlmarxx wrote:

The IRS  in news reports    have stated they where never happy about  the 1099K  $600   limit  do to being over burden  too much paper work  . they have pushing for  $5,000  to $10,000  limit    1099K  filing .  

I don't know why that would be. Small businesses like mine that either PAY more than 599 or receive more than 599 for services, all have to deal with 1099's. There are already millions of small businesses dealing with 1099's. 

I'M not happy the IRS isn't applying the LAW as they are required to. The IRS does NOT make the laws of the land. I may not agree with the laws, but if we are not going to obey the laws, then what good are any of them? They either apply to everyone or they apply to no one. 

Message 27 of 38
latest reply

@carlmarxx wrote:

I'm pretty sure Gov. Newsom will put a stop to that soon.  Our state officials love taxes, which is why we pay the highest gas tax in the  nation. LOL!

Given the Fed's inability to get their act together I expect a lot of states to establish their own reporting/issuance thresholds in 2024, I am actually surprised more states did not do it in 2023 but there is still time left to do so and they could make it retroactive back to 1 January 2023. 

Of course this will just muck up the works as we could wind up with 51 different threshold requirements, one for each state and a federal one. 🙄

Message 28 of 38
latest reply

@rustydalmatian wrote:

It is cumulative across eBay ID’s, not cross platforms.  eBay, Etsy, Poshmark, etc. don’t share information.

Message 29 of 38
latest reply

@carlmarxx wrote:

So the IRS is worried about folks having too much paper work.   I guess they have been concerned about me for years, then, because I've reported my sales since before any 1099ks were sent out for any amount.  I wonder how they felt about that pesky tax money being sent in?

Message 30 of 38
latest reply