cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

I want to do the right thing - even after 90 days

I sold an autographed 8x10 photo of Randy Savage (WWF). I purchased it on eBay years ago and was assured it was signed in front of the seller, but no COA was offered. Before I sold it the buyer specifically asked if it had authentication. I advised it did not, but it was signed at a GNC event in the 90's. (that's what I was told when I bought it).  It sold on Oct 11, 2022. Apparently, the buyer sent the item to JSA, who deemed it to "likely not be authentic". His COA was done in April 2023, and he sent me a message on May 6, 2023. Of course, I had no intention to scam this guy. I would like to be fair, but now 6 months have past. I can't look at my original listing, I can't offer refund (or partial) through eBay, and I hesitate to do something where he can dispute it even after I try to make it right. Any advice what to tell this guy? 

Message 1 of 13
latest reply
12 REPLIES 12

If you have documentation through messaging that the buyer acknowledged at the time of purchase that they KNEW they were purchasing the item without a COA, and the buyer proceeded to purchase it anyway, that is not on you

It is nice that you want to do the right thing now - but you already did the right thing then

The buyer can't reasonably expect anything at this point, as they made the decision to go ahead and purchase the item. 

That is my opinion, for the price you paid for it.😉

Message 2 of 13
latest reply

I am assuming that your listing was not sold as an authentic signature. However, if it did suggest the item was authentic, and now graded to be a likely forgery, i would consider refunding the buyer with provided compelling proof. But this is up to you. He is well past the deadlines to challenge the listing thru eBay.

Keep in mind that he might still be able to open a dispute with his credit card company. In that case, you would likely lose and be forced to refund.

Good luck however you decide.

Message 3 of 13
latest reply

So much of what I would do in this instance would entirely depend on the terms when I originally sold the item. I have sold "non-authenticated" autographs I have obtained in person, but have also sold some autographed items I have bought without them being certified.

If I even hinted that I "knew" it was authentic, I would take it back.

If I sold it and it was "clear, beyond any interpretation" that the buyer wanted it (authentic or not), then no....I would not entertain a return.

(I do have a guarantee, but I assume you do not....)

If it bothers you, and you feel remorseful because you were pretty sure it was authentic, and you decide you want to relieve yourself of any anxiety, just have them list it and offer to buy it back (with the letter of course)

You are under no obligation to do so though.......

Message 4 of 13
latest reply

I always guarantee that my autographed items will pass PSA or JSA and if one ever failed even a year later I would just make things right with the customer outside the system. Most of them simply are not worth the cost of authentication in the first place, but if I did have an expensive one that turned out to be fake then it would be even more important to me to take care of the customer.

Message 5 of 13
latest reply

Sometimes, BY MUTUAL AGREEMENT IN ADVANCE, I know coin or stamp buyers can have the item expertized and if it fails to live up to the original grading the buyer will give the item back for a refund.  

It doesn't sound like an agreement in advance this was in place here. 

6 months is a long time.  Does it take that long to expertize an autograph?  

Maybe the buyer thought he was going to sell it and that failed so he now wants you to pay for his failure. 

6 months is a long time. 

Message 6 of 13
latest reply

Since you are well past time time for taking any direct action on the order, there's not much officially you can do as far as a return or refund. I agree with the previous reply that said you'd already done right by the customer by advising that you had no COA (etc.) for the piece and ... "caveat emptor".

One thing I can see that I'd do to be a doubly-nice-guy would be to set up a private coupon just for this customer, giving them [%] discount off [insert category/whole store here.] I'd explain as gently as possible that the return windows is passed and there's nothing I can do as far as refunding, but I can offer them an (overly generous) discount off their next order in the store. 

Chances are high that they won't take you up on your offer, but at the end of the day you did your best.

Message 7 of 13
latest reply

Its refreshing to see that some people still have a working conscience.  Do what you need to so you can sleep at night. 🙂

Message 8 of 13
latest reply

Totally correct answer right there.  🙂  you were up front, buyer knew the story.  And seriously if this was a big issue with them, they either would have declined to purchase, or had it verified/checked out right away.

Message 9 of 13
latest reply

The buyer claims he sent the item to JSA in October and just got the paperwork in April. Even if I am willing to refund him, others have cautioned about doing outside of eBay. Not knowing what to do, I replied to him this:

"Hi. I have reached out to the community forums to determine the best way to handle this. I can assure you I did not intend to sell you something that was not authentic. I got this on eBay many years ago. I was told it was signed at a GNC event. You specifically asked if this was authenticated, and I honestly told you all I knew about it. I understand why eBay has buyer protection for authentication, but those also include rules about the buyer's responsibility to appeal the purchase within 90 days. It has now been about 7 months since your purchase. At this point, I can't look at the original purchase on eBay, nor can I initiate a refund, or partial refund on eBay. There is no obligation on my part given the delay in disputing the purchase. I agree you should appeal to eBay to see if they feel otherwise. If so, I will abide by their decision."

I thought this is fair. What are repercussions of eBay deciding in his favor? I know I can't re-list the item even if he returns it. Is there anything else that I should worry about?

Message 10 of 13
latest reply

@madgooselark wrote:

At this point, I can't look at the original purchase on eBay, nor can I initiate a refund, or partial refund on eBay. There is no obligation on my part given the delay in disputing the purchase. I agree you should appeal to eBay to see if they feel otherwise. If so, I will abide by their decision.

Actually, you can @madgooselark .

Go to your orders page in seller hub: https://www.ebay.com/sh/ord/?filter=status:ALL_ORDERS

At the top, change the period filter to Custom

Enter in a date range - I'd just do the month the item was sold.

The transaction will appear. The "send refund" option in the actions drop-down is there for a full year.

I've never tested a refund this far from the original purchase date, so I don't know if you'd see any errors, but the option is there for you to try if you want.

Based on the timeline, buyer is long past any eBay claim window and "about 7 months" is past the 180 day PayPal window and it's most likely past his credit card window. So you probably wouldn't be on the hook anywhere. But if you want to offer a refund, or a partial refund, eBay does present that option.

Let us know what you end up deciding.

Message 11 of 13
latest reply

To add to the great info posted by wastingtime................  one thing to add.  Sometimes buyers no longer have the same account that the made the payment with (such as PP, or credit card), and refunding through the transaction history shown on eBay could be opening a can of worms. Not a common thing, but a possibility.

Message 12 of 13
latest reply

Do what you feel is right in your gut. Since your time has passed to offer even a partial refund, the coupon idea is nice. 

I'm THRILLED to see someone with a conscience and a moral compass on here, after the answers to my last question. Good for you!! 

Message 13 of 13
latest reply