cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

I'm so sick of these captchas and eBay does nothing to help.

eBay will not give me a straight answer at all and as someone who uses their account a lot, it's very frustrating to have to:

1. Sign in 5-10 times a day despite checking "stay signed in". I can understand if I I'm in the payments section or something more sensitive, but I've literally gone to ship something and have to sign in again when I signed in not an hour prior.

2. Having to solve a captcha about every other sign in.

3. Having to solve a captcha if I "search too much", which apparently  more than one query every minute or so is "too much". If I'm browsing an online auction to source inventory, I will rapid-fire searches, but eBay seems to not like this.

4. Getting completely locked out of my account for "daily limit exceeded". I found out signing out fixes this, but the first time it happened, I couldn't do anything. Could not purchase, could not list, could not ship. "Daily limit" of what exactly? Who knows, that is literally all the message says.

I've done literally everything possible on my end, making sure there isn't anything going on with my browser, checking for malware, viruses, browser hijacking, etc.

Oddly, with the searches, I found out if I sign out of my account, I can search to my heart's content. It's only when being signed in does this seem to upset their servers.

Message 1 of 7
latest reply
6 REPLIES 6

Have you tried clearing your cache and cookies?

Message 2 of 7
latest reply

@bargainsandbaubles 

Do you use a VPN?   Have you tried using another device to see if the problem is replicated? 

Message 3 of 7
latest reply

It's you and your computer, your internet or?? Doesn't happen to most. Do as suggested in previous posts; try using a different browser (google chrome, edge etc.); but if on a VPN- there's your problem. 

Message 4 of 7
latest reply

That definitely sounds like some kind of browser-related issue. I stay logged in constantly on this computer and I haven't gotten a captcha in ages.

Message 5 of 7
latest reply

I don't have a problem quite that severe (certainly doesn't involve captchas--that would drive me nuts), but a couple months ago I started having to sign in every time I want to see Order Details, whether it's something I sold or purchased.  Occasionally it'll happen with a different page-change also (maybe reply to a message or other things, can't remember but with Order Details it's EVERY time).  It's only slightly irksome because my handle and password are already auto-filled in the boxes, but sometimes the processing takes a while.  Mostly though, it just gives me the mild-to-moderate unease that any Ebay glitch gives, like WHY did it start happening out of the blue, and when am I going to face some catastrophic glitch that destroys my account or gets the FBI watching me or something, LOL!!    

Message 6 of 7
latest reply

Yes, I have this issue too, and its only gotten worse! I get told "check your computer for viruses". Really... Im an IT professional, I know about this, and it's NOT VIRUSES. Its them putting excessive Captcha requests out. I can't delete things out of my cart now, because after deleting 1, it asks me to verify I'm a human by way of captcha. SERIOUSLY TO DELETE A CART ITEM???? I have a lot of items in my cart as I use this to compare, and I have every intension of buying. However that said, this captcha crap is pissing me off to the extent I am about to stop using Ebay all together. Been with Ebay since nearly the beginning. I think I opened my FIRST account back in or around 1998. I was buying stuff for my computer hobby then. Somehow that account was lost, and I was never able to get back in 2002, so I opened a new account. Now I buy it for my work. This is getting ABSURD. I have bought and sold several items... Mainly buy more than sold, but I am to my ends with this crap.

Message 7 of 7
latest reply