cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

I'm dissappointed in Ebay

I sold a tuner for cars recently. The way that this tuner works is that its serialized and needs an application key to work with the software. Which was provided to the buyer. Once the buyer received the device, he plugs it into his computer and his car then going online with the software and application key to transfer the device off of his account and register it under his own account with his car. 

The buyer claimed that the device caught his car on fire as soon as he plugged it in. Which is impossible and I have emails from the devices support company claim that it is impossible. Also have emails from the company saying that the buyer register the device to their account (which requires a working device to do) and that they are no longer able to transfer the device back over to me if the buyer returns it because the will not be able to tell who the legal owner is anymore. The buyer told me that he opened up the device and see that the circuit board is burnt inside and that it cause his laptop and car to catch on fire. The buyer also changed his story multiple times in the conversation and went from "it caught my car on fire" to "the program crashes on my computer". Which none of this is caused by the device I sold.

Ebay approved of the return.

Which mean to me...

If the device is returned working... I can no longer use it because it's registered to the buyers name. I am out  ~$280.

If the device is returned damaged and opened, caused by him to prove that I sent a damaged item, I am out ~$280.

I tried explaining all of this to ebay on the phone, but it was like talking to a brick wall. They kept reiterating that I can appeal the case after I get the item back. Even though that costs me shipping and paypal fees that I won't get refunded totaling over $20.

I'm so dissapointted.

Message 1 of 22
latest reply
21 REPLIES 21

Re: I'm dissappointed in Ebay

To be honest, not much you can do when eBay rules in favor of the bidder or buyer.  Take your small loss and be glad you got the item returned. Bump the price up when you relist it to cover your loss if possible.  It goes with selling items anywhere, especially online and eBay. Sorry for your trouble but I find it best to accept the bad situation and move on.

Message 2 of 22
latest reply

If the buyer returns a working item, I am unable to resell it because it is registered to his tuner account. The device is 100% useless to me or anyone else because the buyer used the application key for the device and registered it to himself. Leaving me -$280 and without a working tuner to resell.

Message 3 of 22
latest reply

Under the circumstances you've described, I'm not sure that item was a good candidate to sell in any fashion other than locally. eBay has a local pickup protocol. Maybe that would be a good option if you have any more items that involve account registration, etc., that would prohibit a return from an unsatisfied customer.
Message 4 of 22
latest reply

Ebay will not help on an appeal. That is just smoke blowing to get you off the phone.
Message 5 of 22
latest reply

Wouldn't any sellers of these anywhere have a 'return policy' indicating that once it's been hooked up it's not returnable? 

**If the manufacturing company has proof that the item was working properly to register it then doesn't that fulfill your obligation of supplying item as described? 

What a customer does with it after that is not the seller's problem.  This buyer could have hooked it up backwards or connected everything in the wrong mode in the wrong order.  That's why electronic parts are non-returnable in the real world - at least where I live. 

Message 6 of 22
latest reply

As far as I'm aware, that's not a policy on ebay. I've went searching and couldn't find anything prohibiting that. If so, then you cannot sell a new TV or anything with a warranty that has to be registered.

Message 7 of 22
latest reply

The return case was closed and moved to a "let ebay step in to make the decision" case, which I was not able to make additional comments in. So I called up ebay and they gave me a link to a document uploader that I could give the email correspondence to proving the item was working. A couple hours later, ebay closed the case in the buyers favor. I called into ebay to see why it was decided in their favor, and during the call I asked about the images I uploaded to the document viewer and they said they didn't receive any images from me. I'm attaching the email here.

Message 8 of 22
latest reply

@saloteen18 wrote:

Ebay approved of the return.

Once buyer files an INAD, not much a seller can to but accept the return or just refund the buyer.

Have a great day
Message 9 of 22
latest reply

eBay has a local pickup protocol.

Unfortunately, ebay  items that are "picked up" very likely no longer make the MBG void as would be expected.  Case in point was a recent post by a seller who had a pick up only item (some large machinery piece packed on two pallets) picked up by the buyer and driven a couple of states away.  Buyer took the item apart, then claimed SNAD. 

CS told the seller to "issue a return label", the ebay blue that responded  basically said the seller was responsible for return shipping and to "work something out" with the buyer if I recall correctly. 

Message 10 of 22
latest reply

Which is stupid because I had a third party verify that the item was working as described.

Message 11 of 22
latest reply

@saloteen18 wrote:

Which is stupid because I had a third party verify that the item was working as described.

It might be stupid, but they own the site and make the policies.

Have a great day
Message 12 of 22
latest reply

You are a seller! Ebay could careless if you are financially injured. Ebay promotes this behavior. Don't expect them to help you! They do not seem to understand we sellers are also buyers. I am winding my items down with the anticipation of closing my store. I am trying to hold out until renewal in Oct but I am seriously considering just letting it go sooner. Now they are forcing more sellers into managed payment. Lol Right, I really want them managing my money and having access to my accounts! NOT!!! Makes one wonder should we really be given a 1099k or are we really just un-paid employees of Ebay!
Message 13 of 22
latest reply

Yes, but deciding in the buyer's favor goes against their policy. Because this item clearly works, so it's a case of buyer's remorse. Which accepting a return based on buyer's remorse goes against their policy. I'd imagine the buyer made up the claim that it caught his car on fire to get the return approved.

Message 14 of 22
latest reply

He can't sell it! He states it cannot be registered a second time. The item is useless! A loss! Out the money!
Message 15 of 22
latest reply