cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

I find ebay highly discriminating

I am in the sutuation that a buyer asked for a refund stating the item is damage as The reason but than stating that actually the item does not fit her. Ebay blocked my funds straigh away but one agent told me that of course is ubfair that the buyer gave a misleading reason.

After waiting for my item to be return while the buyer did not reply I contacted again an agent. Just to be told that the buyer has 10 days to return or respond while me as a seller have less. When asked why I was answered that ebay thinks that the buyer is less experienced than the seller. I find it totalky ofending and discriminating, iljnethical at the same time for such a big company to assume someone is better than other. Not to mention thatbon this platform i am not onky a seller but also a buyer and probably the same is the person that bought from me. Nevertheless I was told that ebay also sent notifications to the buyer with no reply. Of course ebay is keeping my money blocked alongside with the fees I paid them for the transaction. 

Message 1 of 19
latest reply
18 REPLIES 18

Re: I find ebay highly discriminating

The problem is that that agent even left the conversation after he made those statements. He actually insisted on them. 

Message 16 of 19
latest reply

I find it totalky ofending and discriminating, iljnethical at the same time for such a big company to assume someone is better than other.

The customer support agent did not say one is "better" than the other - they said one is assumed to be more experienced than the other.

When a buyer is disappointed and leaves eBay, eBay loses that buyer's future purchases. But when a seller leaves eBay, eBay does not necessarily lose that seller's sales because in most cases the buyer will simply buy a similar item from a similar seller at a similar price.

eBay has been in business for two decades and has billions and billions of transactions to draw conclusions from . IMHO using that information to set policies that serve their interests is not offensive or unethical or discriminatory. It is simply common sense.

But if you find it offensive or unethical or discriminatory, you are free to leave. eBay cannot adjust policy to please the whims of every one of its 20 million sellers.

treating someone with a protected characteristic less favourably than others.

Good grief. Being an eBay buyer or seller is not a "protected characteristic".

Message 17 of 19
latest reply

The phone reps have a terrible reputation for getting you off the phone as soon as possible even if that means giving you the advice you want to hear instead of the advice you need to have.

https://www.facebook.com/eBayForBusiness/ — Message button in upper right on landing page.

https://www.instagram.com/ebayforsellers/

https://community.ebay.com/t5/Selling/How-do-I-contact-Customer-Support/m-p/32016431#M1783851 -> Automated Assistant, type AGENT -> enter. You will then get more options.

The social media Chat accounts are covered by trained eBay employees with some authority.

And you get a transcript so you can compare what you heard with what you were told.

Since you are in the UK you may find more help on the UK Seller Boards, since there are differences between the national laws governing eBay.

More to the point, because you sell rarely, only one sale in the past three months, your payments are more likely to be Held since eBay assumes you are less knowledgeable about customer service  than a  more experienced seller. 

Message 18 of 19
latest reply

When you decide to be a seller, you are in business. You have set yourself up as the expert, the professional. You don't get to be an amateur seller here! That's the attitude you should take.  Sure you are winging it, but the buyers don't know that! Act like the kind of person you want to do business with.

Don't be in a situation where you must get that money fast. Expect it to take longer and cost more than you anticipate. If you are in that situation you are vulnerable and going to hurt. 

If your buyer has not done the return yet, they may fail to return the item. If that is the case, then in the end you will get your money and not have to refund them. This is not a bad thing! 

Message 19 of 19
latest reply