cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How would you describe this fabric pattern?

Hit a great sale today and purchased a nice sized lot from a retired interior designer.  🙂  How would you describe the pattern on this cotton fabric?  The only thing that comes to mind is abstract floral. 

Thanks!

how-to-describe-fabric.jpg

“It took me quite a long time to develop a voice, and now that I have it, I am not going to be silent” ― Madeleine K. Albright

Great! 45.8% down over the same time last year with 2x+ items listed. Are you impressed? I'm certainly not!
Message 1 of 36
latest reply
35 REPLIES 35

Re: How would you describe this fabric pattern?

@femmefan1946 wrote:

Calico.

Usually a small print on cotton.

Not a small print, though. 9" x 1 2" hexagons. We're talking the size of a USPS Priority Mail Flat Rate Padded envelope / mailer.

Belle
Message 16 of 36
latest reply

Interesting and lovely artistic fabric piece... geometric with stylized florals, nice hot colors.  I can see that used in something casual and yet stunning, fun and relaxed but making a statement.

Message 17 of 36
latest reply

@flyinhawaiiangirl wrote:

I'd be hesitant to use batik. It refers to a very specific way of dyeing fabric and if you aren't sure if that's the techniques used, I be leery of using it as a decription. Those buyers looking for batick fabric will know immediately if it is true batik or being used as a generic term for a print, possible leaving yourself open to an NAD claim.

Just a thought. I'm always amazed at what is described as "tye-dye" as an example. To me that has a very specific meaning, but it's usually used when the seller has no idea on how to decribe the pattern and is against using "print", "design",  or something more accurate. Tye dye is not a blanket statement, it is a specific way of dyeing fabric. If that technique is not used, I could see tye dye print as a decriptor, but not tye dye alone.

@flyinhawaiiangirl

Great point. I believe same applies to ikat.

Belle
Message 18 of 36
latest reply

@mistwomandancing wrote:

Interesting and lovely artistic fabric piece... geometric with stylized florals, nice hot colors.  I can see that used in something casual and yet stunning, fun and relaxed but making a statement.

Since this came from an interior designer, I'm wondering what it would have been used for.  It's definitely not an upholstery weight. 

“It took me quite a long time to develop a voice, and now that I have it, I am not going to be silent” ― Madeleine K. Albright

Great! 45.8% down over the same time last year with 2x+ items listed. Are you impressed? I'm certainly not!
Message 19 of 36
latest reply

Message 20 of 36
latest reply

Did a quickie search on how to identify batik fabric. Came up with this site.  It took two seconds to be able to tell the main difference between real batik and "fake" batik:

Real: printed on both sides

Imitation: usually has a faded pattern on the back side

There is more, and if anyone wants to take a look:

https://www.thebatikboutique.com/blogs/news/111806214-genuine-vs-imitation-batik

Message 21 of 36
latest reply

Message 22 of 36
latest reply

@do.you.read.me wrote:

It's called summer breeze - crimson. 

https://fabrichousenashville.com/product/summer-breeze-crimson/

Wow! Great sleuthing, @do.you.read.me and @flyinhawaiiangirl!!

Belle
Message 23 of 36
latest reply

llllady wrote:

mistwomandancing wrote:

Since this came from an interior designer, I'm wondering what it would have been used for.  It's definitely not an upholstery weight. 

It looks like it might have come from India.  Cotton, perhaps?  Could be used in pillow coverings, made into a very light bed covering, even casual window treatment and wall hanging drape.  If it's not a heavy gauge fabic, yes.. not likely upholstery uses, but layering uses, hanging/draping uses, and lighter usage applications like the pillow sham sort of thing.  Fabrics like this can become floor-length table coverings and turned into table runners and 'dresser scarves' sort of uses..  really any application a designer might think fun with that fabric in a casual upbeat decor situation.

Message 24 of 36
latest reply

@do.you.read.me wrote:

WOW!  How cool is that?  How'd you find that?  Amazing.  Thanks bunches!!!!!!

Message 25 of 36
latest reply

batik

Good Moms let you lick the Beaters.

Great Moms turn them off first.
Message 26 of 36
latest reply

do.you.read.me wrote:

Good for you!  That info will be a marketing help.  And it is cotton, so that's important to know, and you have it!

Message 27 of 36
latest reply

Batik is also a type of design. 

Good Moms let you lick the Beaters.

Great Moms turn them off first.
Message 28 of 36
latest reply

@flyinhawaiiangirl wrote:
https://www.thefabricco.com/salito-719-0-kravet-fabric/

I found it in google images!

I just learned of that Google reverse image search thing a couple months ago.  Used it once and was unimpressed.  It just changed my mind!  If anyone else is not familiar with it:

https://support.google.com/websearch/answer/1325808?hl=en

Message 29 of 36
latest reply

Held down my thumb over the photo you provided, a box comes up...click on google image search, et voila!  There's a few matches. Sometimes you don't get any info that's worthwhile,  but others you might get some clues.  I love to Google.  Hahaha 

Message 30 of 36
latest reply