cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How would you describe this fabric pattern?

Hit a great sale today and purchased a nice sized lot from a retired interior designer.  🙂  How would you describe the pattern on this cotton fabric?  The only thing that comes to mind is abstract floral. 

Thanks!

how-to-describe-fabric.jpg

“It took me quite a long time to develop a voice, and now that I have it, I am not going to be silent” ― Madeleine K. Albright

Great! 45.8% down over the same time last year with 2x+ items listed. Are you impressed? I'm certainly not!
Message 1 of 36
latest reply
1 BEST ANSWER

Accepted Solutions

Re: How would you describe this fabric pattern?

35 REPLIES 35

How large are the idividual hexagons? Almost looks like tile.

Belle
Message 2 of 36
latest reply

Ikat? Southwestern?
Message 3 of 36
latest reply

Calico.

Usually a small print on cotton.

Message 4 of 36
latest reply

Maybe Batik?

Message 5 of 36
latest reply

@southernfriedbelle

@southernfriedbelle wrote:

They're about 9" wide x 6" high.

“It took me quite a long time to develop a voice, and now that I have it, I am not going to be silent” ― Madeleine K. Albright

Great! 45.8% down over the same time last year with 2x+ items listed. Are you impressed? I'm certainly not!
Message 6 of 36
latest reply

I'd call it bohemian multi hexagon print in dark earthy colors
Message 7 of 36
latest reply

Moroccan, Spanish Tile, Terracotta 🙂

penguins_dont_fly is a Volunteer Community Mentor
Buying and Selling since 2013

Message 8 of 36
latest reply

Holy bejeebers!  You guys aren't making this easy - LOL!

Message 9 of 36
latest reply

@naysteve24 wrote:

Maybe Batik?

This is what I thought as well.

Message 10 of 36
latest reply

You guys wait.  When I get around to listing it, I'm going to put a disclaimer that if I don't have the pattern right, go blame the sellers!  Hey, why not...they get blamed for everything else?  😉

Message 11 of 36
latest reply

@llllady wrote:

@southernfriedbelle

@southernfriedbelle wrote:

They're about 9" wide x 6" high.

That's another clue that this is very likely Batik.   But I'm just a quilter.....no, wait:  a seller.....never mind. Cat Tongue

Message 12 of 36
latest reply

@llllady wrote:

You guys wait.  When I get around to listing it, I'm going to put a disclaimer that if I don't have the pattern right, go blame the sellers!  Hey, why not...they get blamed for everything else?  😉

LOL 😆

Belle
Message 13 of 36
latest reply

I'd be hesitant to use batik. It refers to a very specific way of dyeing fabric and if you aren't sure if that's the techniques used, I be leery of using it as a decription. Those buyers looking for batick fabric will know immediately if it is true batik or being used as a generic term for a print, possible leaving yourself open to an NAD claim.

Just a thought. I'm always amazed at what is described as "tye-dye" as an example. To me that has a very specific meaning, but it's usually used when the seller has no idea on how to decribe the pattern and is against using "print", "design",  or something more accurate. Tye dye is not a blanket statement, it is a specific way of dyeing fabric. If that technique is not used, I could see tye dye print as a decriptor, but not tye dye alone.

Message 14 of 36
latest reply

@flyinhawaiiangirl

Thank you. Duly noted! 

Message 15 of 36
latest reply