cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How to lose a sale when you don't have to.

I was looking at a vintage necklace with a broken clasp. Necklace is listed as BIN. No problem. I request more info about clasp. I'm thinking: what would it take to fix this?, and I convey this to the seller. Yep, you have an interested buyer, wake up. So seller answers question, even posts more photos, but I want to know the SIZE of the clasp, as no ruler is shown with clasp. I ask the seller to please measure the clasp-opening in millimeters and to measure the clasp, itself. This should have been done in the first place, but I'll wait. What does seller do? 

Seller replies that she does not have the tools for such a measurement and item is priced for quick sale. Um, you don't have a ruler? Basically it's obvious she doesn't want to be bothered. I thank her, and reply that all would have taken was a ruler. 

I'm on my way to find another necklace. She lost my purchase tonight. 

Message 1 of 154
latest reply
153 REPLIES 153

Re: How to lose a sale when you don't have to.

@7606dennis wrote:

@kpettree0ec3 wrote:

@7606dennis wrote:

Perhaps the seller doesn't have a ruler calibrated in metric increments. 

While Google readily offers standard to metric conversions, the eBay website provides several conversion charts.   When all else fails, calculators, calculator apps, computers and/or a simple piece of paper and a pencil may provide conversions, as well.

True, but the seller may not have thought it worth the effort.  Of course, if the data was furnished in the listing, but only in inches, the OP could have done the conversion just as easily themselves.

"If" is the operative word.  

Regardless, as a seller, I have never had a problem with providing conversion measurements for potential buyers.  It's a component of customer service and I, personally, am grateful for the interest in my items in the first place.

Message 61 of 154
latest reply

@tunicaslot wrote:

wow - I respect you both but this is worse than the political boards. I'm sure in her experience siayan has come to the conclusion that most asking questions rarely buy the item - I would say the same. No different than someone asking me to relist an item - the item ended and they didn't have time to purchase it the first time - I relist and 9 out of 10 times - they don't buy it - wasting me time and a listing fee. My standard answer now is that the item will be listing in the next 4-6 weeks - check back.

Or own experiences and observations do vary - but often are spot on - siayan's only mistake was using the word study - but I'm sure there are alot of marketing studies that may very well address that situation.

To reiterate your point (as I am an eBay member that often looks to the eBay Community Boards for answers), I have found that when a member who is responding to an inquiry - that is, in particular, relaying his or her personal experiences on the website - prefaces his/her statements with phrases such as, "from my experience...", "in my opinion...", "from what I have seen here, thus far...", etc. because it helps to place the statement that follows into perspective.  That way, there can be no question as to the legitimacy of a "study" or from where the actual statement originated.  (Unless, of course, the quote did come from an actual study.)

In addition, it can be quite helpful for people on the "user end" of a question to realize and understand that they are not alone; such prefaces show that other eBayers - including those who have "logged" more time here than others - have experienced the same or similar things.

Thanks for your helpful response!

Message 62 of 154
latest reply

@luckythewinner wrote:

There are some sellers on this board who say they would have blocked you just for asking a question.

I wonder why?

Message 63 of 154
latest reply

@mistwomandancing wrote:

*eponymous* wrote:..........most if not all rulers also have mm markings, people just don't know how to read them!..........they best answer questions..........have a good attitude in the hope of getting a sale

My wood ruler doesn't have millimeter markings... only inches.  My wooden yardstick doesn't have millimeters either, nor do either of my tape measures.

Without knowing this seller, and going only by what the OP told us in the opening post, I got the impression that the seller was very willing and accomodating, what with extra photos, etc... just didn't have a millimeter measure.

But also, if that was enough to break a purchase for this buyer, this likely ended in the best possible way for both the buyer AND the seller.

A wooden ruler that only has "inches" markings and lacks half inch, quarter inch, eighth inch and sixteenth inch markings?  

Message 64 of 154
latest reply

any professional seller should be able to answer all questions and 99.9% of themusually require a measurer!
Message 65 of 154
latest reply

I don't know the exact correlation between questions and non-sales, but 9 out of 10 seems about right. I try to include all important info in the auction along with plenty of pictures, but sometimes I get questions that are already answered in the auction copy. There are also questions about 'dropping off' an item (nope) or pathetic best offers that disparage an item (nope again). The hard ones are when someone wants an overseas shipping estimate - the cost is now too high for many things I used to sell regularly. I know my answer will almost always scare them off.

Regardless, I always try to politely answer questions and thank folks for their interest. I never know who will buy what, or when.

Message 66 of 154
latest reply

I make and sell jewelry on e bay as well . I don't mind questions from potential buyers  because usually they are requests asking if  I could change the color  of a particular item or add a certain charm  they would like to have . However  at the beginning of my business one day there was one interested party  asking a lot of questions  about one five dollar necklace I had for sale ,, it was a locket with floating charms . She kept requesting more and more photo's and certain angled close ups of the locket . In other words  she had me jumping through hoops . Finally she decided the locket was good enough and she  asked me how long would it take me to make and  send her about 300 of these lockets at 5 dollars each  . She said she wanted to start her own business .  I had to thank her for her interest but explain I just have a simple at  home one woman business  and I was unable to mass produce as she requested . So there went my big 5 dollar sale . 

Message 67 of 154
latest reply

@kpettree0ec3 wrote:

@tunicaslot wrote:

wow - I respect you both but this is worse than the political boards. I'm sure in her experience siayan has come to the conclusion that most asking questions rarely buy the item - I would say the same. No different than someone asking me to relist an item - the item ended and they didn't have time to purchase it the first time - I relist and 9 out of 10 times - they don't buy it - wasting me time and a listing fee. My standard answer now is that the item will be listing in the next 4-6 weeks - check back.

Or own experiences and observations do vary - but often are spot on - siayan's only mistake was using the word study - but I'm sure there are alot of marketing studies that may very well address that situation.

To reiterate your point (as I am an eBay member that often looks to the eBay Community Boards for answers), I have found that when a member who is responding to an inquiry - that is, in particular, relaying his or her personal experiences on the website - prefaces his/her statements with phrases such as, "from my experience...", "in my opinion...", "from what I have seen here, thus far...", etc. because it helps to place the statement that follows into perspective.  That way, there can be no question as to the legitimacy of a "study" or from where the actual statement originated.  (Unless, of course, the quote did come from an actual study.)

In addition, it can be quite helpful for people on the "user end" of a question to realize and understand that they are not alone; such prefaces show that other eBayers - including those who have "logged" more time here than others - have experienced the same or similar things.

Thanks for your helpful response!

A sense of humour and knowing what's posted tongue in cheek might help as well.

"If a product doesn't sell, raise the price" - Reese Palley
"If it sold FAST, it was priced too low" - also Reese Palley
Message 68 of 154
latest reply

@7606dennis wrote:

Perhaps the seller doesn't have a ruler calibrated in metric increments.  Or, since this appears to be your second question, the seller may be a bit put off by your not including the question in your first communication.  While I can understand where you're coming from, not knowing the precise wording of the communications may have been taken wrongly by the seller.

Frankly, if the seller is selling costume jewelry with a broken clasp, I'd probably figure that the seller has no experience in selling it.  Obviously, if he had, he would have fixed the clasp before listing it.

Of course, if this is a piece of fine jewelry, you might want to reconsider purchasing  a defective piece unless you are skilled in repair or have access to someone that is.

i often list items in need of repair.

i can't fix jewelry or broken items.

doesn't mean i am not experienced to sell on ebay.

i list a broken item because i think it is worth listing and being fixed.

the last one was i sold was a really neat sterling silver Frog brooch.

it needed a new pinback; well just the needle part.

the hinge base and clasp weren't broken.

described what needed fixing/replacing.

the pictures were self explanatory.

it sold for $24.95.

it was trying to sell it or junk it for silver content.

i thought i would give it a try on ebay first.

buyer was very happy.

and by the way i don't own a ruler.

all i have is a tape measure (inches not metric).

honestly since i can't see the item in question, i am puzzled about this thread.

if the buyer not sure what i could have replied that would have pleased the OP.

beside; "it needs a new clasp or this or that".

1 thing different i would have done is omit the mention that the item was priced to sell.

that was irrelevant to the OP's question...

letoulousain
Message 69 of 154
latest reply

"I ask the seller to please measure the clasp-opening in millimeters and to measure the clasp, "

I buy jewelry online and sometimes am happy just to see a dime for reference next to the item. Then I can guesstimate.
Message 70 of 154
latest reply

"I wouldn't have been able to give you a measurement in MILLIMETERS either, so would have also had to let you know that I didn't have a measure that showed that.  "

I guess we are a ruler-happy household and all of mine have millimeters as well as inches. And with all the conversion tables online, inches would have worked too...lol, as well as a dime.
Message 71 of 154
latest reply

"The main reason I don't combine shipping is if items in the same package get damaged I have to issue a return label for EACH of the damaged items even though they were sent in the same package.  Buyers have to have separate tracking numbers for each damaged item to be able to get a refund.  If they were to return more than one item in the same package they would only have one tracking number so would only get refunded for one item.

Also, if you send multiple items in one package the buyer can claim INR and with only one tracking number to prove delivery the buyer will win and get a refund on all the items they claim they never received.

I find it much safer for ME to ship each item individually and charge the buyer accordingly.  What are the chances of multiple packages ALL getting damaged compared to all the items in one single package getting damaged?  Even if a buyer buys 10 trinkets with free shipping they feel they have been ripped off if the seller puts all 10 trinkets in 1 package without giving them a huge refund on the shipping charges."

If the shipping is FREE why would the buyer expect a refund on the 'shipping' charges? There are no charges. Not to the buyer.

Also, I always ask about combined shipping if it is not stated in the listing, and I am going to be buying multiple items, such as ACEO's, menu's, etc. Do you really expect buyers to cheerfully pay 3.95 EACH for 10 itty bitty lil cards? That go for a buck to maybe 5?

I also put items in the cart, sometimes it works fine, sometimes not. It depends on how the seller sets it up. I have never been turned down for combined shipping, never a problem. I would not buy half the stuff here if it were not offered.

I have also had sellers refund extra and combine on their own when I booboo and pay without realizing the items were from the same seller. They will also hold 'wins' till all the items end. These sellers are all on my fave seller list and I buy from them again and again.

Message 72 of 154
latest reply

crokev6 wrote:

I don't know the exact correlation between questions and non-sales, but 9 out of 10 seems about right.

I would guess it is fairly accurate. Many buyers ask a question but they already have a feeling the answer they get will disqualify the purchase; but they want to make sure anyway. Some posters cannot find something to complain about so they use "show us facts" or "you spelled it wrong" for their disagreement as if that really matters.

Message 73 of 154
latest reply

@moondogblues wrote:
"I ask the seller to please measure the clasp-opening in millimeters and to measure the clasp, "

I buy jewelry online and sometimes am happy just to see a dime for reference next to the item. Then I can guesstimate.

don't know what kind of clasp we are talking about here but most are standard.

losbter clasp, round clasp, pinback clasp, C clasp, hook...

i mean i would have of course replied the OP's question to the best of my ability.

not saying that i wouldn't have.

would have kept personal comments to myself; like the mention of the item being priced to sell.

i think that is what really irritated the OP.

but if the clasp was broken it just needed replacing with a similar one.

i have sold many broken pieces of jewelry on ebay.

and never received such specific questions about a broken piece i was selling.

guess my descriptions and pics were self explanatory enough?

and i assume my buyers knew how to fix them?

letoulousain
Message 74 of 154
latest reply

Buyers know there is no such thing as "free shipping"~~they know you have the shipping charges buried in the price of the item.  So...when they purchase 10 items with "free shipping" and you toss all 10 into 1 package they know YOU pocketed a lot of shipping charge money.  They are going to complain and ask for a refund of the excess shipping they paid for.

When you combine shipping and toss everything together in 1 package you are taking a chance that buyer is going to claim INR on all but 1 of the items.  Since you don't have a tracking number for anything but 1 item you will lose and have to refund the buyer.  They will, of course, admit receiving the cheapest item.

If they decide they don't want any of these multiple items they have to open separate cases for each item and the seller has to issue individual return labels for each item~~the buyer can't "combine shipping" sending all the items back. 

A seller recently posted that he sent 6 games to a buyer all in 1 package.  The buyer decided all 6 didn't work so that seller had to issue 6 return labels.  When that buyer returned all 6 items you know he got got a full refund including shipping on each of them~~ebay didn't refund him the combined shipping that the seller charged him.  That, plus issuing 6 return labels really didn't make this seller very happy.

I'll stick to sending individual packages for items purchased.

Message 75 of 154
latest reply