cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How to deal with a dead beat seller?

I bought an item a week ago. Seller had it listed for 99 cents or best offer, well I paid the 99 cents didn't want to make an offer since price was so low already. Seller immediately marks it as shipped, no tracking, nada.

3 days later he emails and says that ebay messed up the shipping charges.  He only charged me $7.00 and it is actually $15.00 according to him. He then states that he has no clue how ebay calculated the charges wrong.  He states nothing else in the email.  

It is a lightweight package and should weigh less than 1 pound but even if it weighed more than 1 pound it will very easily fit into a flat rate padded envelope.  Heck a flat rate box is cheaper than what he is stating.  I can't open a case in ebay until after the 16th because he checked that he shipped it which he did not.  I did notice that on his other listings he has changed all of his shipping fees to $10.99 no matter the size.

I keep waiting for him to ship the package or something but nothing is happening.  What is the best way to deal with this?

Message 1 of 8
latest reply
7 REPLIES 7

Re: How to deal with a dead beat seller?

You're probably just stuck waiting to file the INR on the 16th and then see what happens. Of course, you can always leave appropriate feedback, too. 

“It took me quite a long time to develop a voice, and now that I have it, I am not going to be silent” ― Madeleine K. Albright

Great! 45.8% down over the same time last year with 2x+ items listed. Are you impressed? I'm certainly not!
Message 2 of 8
latest reply

@dande2016 wrote:

3 days later he emails and says that ebay messed up the shipping charges.  He only charged me $7.00 and it is actually $15.00 according to him. He then states that he has no clue how ebay calculated the charges wrong.  He states nothing else in the email.  

Yeah, right. And the dog ate his homework, too.

I don't think this guy has a clue what he's doing. 99 cents with Best Offer? Really? That makes sense... how? eBay didn't screw up the postage. Either this was a case of garbage in, garbage out with the shipping calculator or he screwed it up without any help at all from eBay.

File the Item Not Received as soon as you are able and wash your hands of this loser.

Message 3 of 8
latest reply

@dande2016,

Lemme guess, you did not look at the sellers feedback profile before buying from them? 

I'll give odds the seller has (0) or a very low feedback number As A Seller.  It is either that or they are illiterate. 

"THERE IS NO SUCH THING AS FOOLPROOF, BECAUSE FOOLS ARE SO DARNED INGENIOUS!" (unknown)
Message 4 of 8
latest reply

@mudshark61369 wrote:

@dande2016,

Lemme guess, you did not look at the sellers feedback profile before buying from them? 

I'll give odds the seller has (0) or a very low feedback number As A Seller.  It is either that or they are illiterate. 

I always look at the sellers feedback.  What is shocking he is not new, been selling for 3 years and has over 400 feedback all 100% positive.

Funny thing is when I look at his sold items, he has sold many items that  were 99 cents or best offer and $7 shipping.

Message 5 of 8
latest reply

At $0.99 with $7.00 shipping, with fees considered the seller will lose money on the sale.  I think it's a case of if it looks to good to be true, it probably is.  Should the seller have listed the item as he did and then not follow through - absolutely not, but imo, as buyers seeking a good transaction we shouldn't ignore the basic economics and human nature side of things. 

Message 6 of 8
latest reply

In the seller's message, was he inferring you should pay the extra postage cost? A seller cannot solicit more money from the buyer after the sale, that's against ebay policy. Regardless of who is responsible for the shipping error, ebay or him, you as the buyer cannot be held liable.

Or, on the other hand, he could be trying to justify not mailing the package. Either way, it doesn't bode well for you receiving the item. I agree with the other posters, file the INR case when you are eligible to do so. There is nothing much more that can be done. Sorry you ran into such a seller.

Message 7 of 8
latest reply

In communication the sender can imply and the receiver can infer.

Message 8 of 8
latest reply