cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

question for clothing sellers

I might list a large coat but I do not know what to do about shipping. It won't fit a Priority box. Should I just pack and get the weight and put calculated shipping with Priority mail? Or parcel post (or whatever it's called now)?

Message 1 of 13
latest reply
12 REPLIES 12

@keziak wrote:

I might list a large coat but I do not know what to do about shipping. It won't fit a Priority box. Should I just pack and get the weight and put calculated shipping with Priority mail? Or parcel post (or whatever it's called now)?

If it won't fit into any of the flat rate or regional rate boxes, I'd see what size box it fits in and put the dimensions AND weight into the shipping section for calculated shipping.

Message 2 of 13
latest reply

Did you try the FR Board Game Box?

I have fit a Maxi length shearling coat from the 60s into one.   The thing weighed over 15 pounds.

(*Bleep*)
Message 3 of 13
latest reply

Yes, of course you use calculated shipping, just as you would if you were mailing a large quantity of books via methods other than Media Mail.

Have you tried rolling or folding the coat into a Priority Mail triangular box? You pay by weight and distance, but both sizes are under 1 cubic foot so there's no dimensional weight factor.

Or you can use a plain box up to 12x12x12 and avoid dimensional weight to Zones 5-8.

Parcel Select is also zoned. Any plain box up to 84 inches length plus girth will do. (A larger box incurs surcharges.)

I suggest you compare rates, keeping in mind that Priority Mail and Parcel Select rates are about the same up to about 18 lbs. Priority Mail has the advantage of $50 insurance included at no extra charge.

https://pe.usps.com/text/dmm300/Notice123.htm

You might also consider UPS Ground or FedEx Home/Ground if you don't mind slow transport and losing customers in Alaska or those who have PO boxes.

~~C~~
My Glass Duchess
Quoting Mom: In polite society, "hey" is for horses.
Message 4 of 13
latest reply

Are you serious?

Message 5 of 13
latest reply

I don't believe they have a 'triangle box', however that would be interesting.

I would just put it as flat rate medium priority box. $13.45. Will Fit for sure, most likely. If it weighs more than 3lbs thats your best bet.
Message 6 of 13
latest reply

@honestabe411 wrote:
I don't believe they have a 'triangle box', however that would be interesting.

I would just put it as flat rate medium priority box. $13.45. Will Fit for sure, most likely. If it weighs more than 3lbs thats your best bet.

https://store.usps.com/store/product/shipping-supplies/dual-use-priority-mailpriority-mail-express-m...

O_1098M-Z0

The easier you are to offend the easier you are to control.

We seem to be getting closer and closer to a situation where nobody is responsible for what they did but we are all responsible for what somebody else did. - Thomas Sowell
Message 7 of 13
latest reply

I always try to use Priority Maling Boxes for larger items - to buy one is too expensive.  The P.O has a large variety - depending on the Post Office and where you live.   If you're in the Burbs then they usually don't have a big variety.  There are  Flate Rate Boxes which are good if you have a Heavy Item and have to ship it far away, because the shipping is calculated by weight and distance.   If you are in a Pinch - Walmart has the cheapest boxes, if you have to buy one.

Message 8 of 13
latest reply

@sam9876 wrote:

Are you serious?

meaning what? If you do not like the question you can ignore it. I only ship books, no experience with big bulky things like a coat. 

I guess I'll ask at the P.O. for the largest box they stock and see if one will do the job.

Message 9 of 13
latest reply

You can get free priority boxes from usps.com. And I've sold bulky coats, Some how always manage to get it into a flat rate, or I use an extra heavy mailer bag with bubble wrap.
Message 10 of 13
latest reply

Hi, something to keep in mind. As a frequent buyer on ebay,  I am tired and irritated at receiving nice clothes wadded up and stuffed into the smallest box possible. More than once the result of the tight squeeze was damage to delicate fabrics. If a buyer is willing to spend the funds to purchase a higher dollar item, they will also be willing to pay the extra dollars to receive it in good condition, properly packed into a box that will easily accommodate it. A too-small package leaves the items a wrinkled mess on the other end, sometimes even hard to open without endangering the contents. 

When sending a bulky item, as a seller I recommend finding the packaging before it's listed so that the cost can be more carefully estimated by measuring and weighing. Thus one can make an informed decision on how best to ship it. I keep some larger boxes on hand for mailing coats, and send them Priority or UPS Ground, whichever is more economical. (I have the ebay seller account with UPS that gives the discount.) If the price is close between the two, I normally opt for Priority though. Better service with USPS, i feel.

Message 11 of 13
latest reply

@fashunu4eeuh wrote:

Hi, something to keep in mind. As a frequent buyer on ebay,  I am tired and irritated at receiving nice clothes wadded up and stuffed into the smallest box possible. More than once the result of the tight squeeze was damage to delicate fabrics. If a buyer is willing to spend the funds to purchase a higher dollar item, they will also be willing to pay the extra dollars to receive it in good condition, properly packed into a box that will easily accommodate it.

Not on ebay they won't.  They want it fast and they want it cheap - if buyers want it pretty and are willing to pay for it, I haven't seen them in over 5 years now.

My Flat Rate padded envelope footballs get high marks for fast shipping in feedback and no complaints about how it was packed.

OP, ask for a board game box at the PO and give it a try.  Most of the PO branches only carry the basic FR boxes.  If you tell me the style of coat, I might be able to give you some hints.  For example, I have fitted an Eddie Baure down coat into a Med FR box.

(*Bleep*)
Message 12 of 13
latest reply

How much does this coat weigh?  I place items like this in plastic bags and then compress into a regular priority box or any appropriately sized brown box and ship priority.    I haven't had any coat I couldn't fit into a 12x12x12" box or smaller.  

Message 13 of 13
latest reply