cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How to I ship a Huge item?

I want to sell a CANON PIXMA PRO-100, however, the bot is huge and heavy. Ideally, I would prefer a shipment company come and pick it up. Which service should I use.

Also, should I charge shipping to the customer? Or offer free shipping? 

Thanks in advance!

Message 1 of 20
latest reply
19 REPLIES 19

Re: How to I ship a Huge item?

@d-k_treasures wrote:
Remember, though, those all come with the inserts to keep everything from moving around inside the printer. 

Wasn't it just last week that we went through this whole thing already? Smiley Very Happy

Message 16 of 20
latest reply

@qualitycustomercare wrote:

I can try local, but I live in a very small city.

@qualitycustomercare

Hmmm...   Your other listings say you're located in Albuquerque.  I suppose it's all relative, but I wouldn't consider that city or metro area "small."    Surely there's a business or organization in the area that would be interested in equipment like that which would eliminate the cost/hassle of shipping a large item that could well be damaged enroute or the buyer claims is DOA on arrival.

As another poster pointed out, an item like this is often a target for a SNAD claim which would require you to pay out of your own pocket to have it shipped back to you, doubling the chances IF you received it back it would arrive damaged.

Yes, you can buy insurance to guard against damage, but often harder to get UPS/FedEx to reimburse as a common reason given for denying claims is often "item was improperly packed"  o matter how well it might have been.

If for some reason you don't want to advertise it locally through CL or FB for example, you always could list it on eBay as "Local Pick Up Only."   But if you do that, do not use PayPal for payment -- cash on the barrel head (including no checks/certified or cashiers checks) as any non-cash arrangement has its own inherent problems.

There have been many threads posted on this board that discuss the pitfalls or best practices regarding eBay "Local Pick Up Only" listings.  You might want to spend some time reading up on that to see if going that route is appealing.

HTH

Message 17 of 20
latest reply

@a_c_green wrote:

@d-k_treasures wrote:
Remember, though, those all come with the inserts to keep everything from moving around inside the printer. 

Wasn't it just last week that we went through this whole thing already? Smiley Very Happy

Why yes, yes we did!

@slippinjimmy wrote:

@d-k_treasures wrote:

Remember, if the buyer thinks it doesn't work right and files SNAD, you will also have to pay for return shipping.

Which isn't a problem if you are selling something that is fully functional and packed properly.

LOL

Unless the buyer just needs a part...

Message 19 of 20
latest reply

I am assuming a seller has opened an account with FedEx or UPS. If you ship online using and account with them, they have stunning discounts.  I recently had UPS Freight pick up about 800 pounds of stuff for me. Total cost; $148. I have found using the eBay calculator gives shipping prices that are way too high. There are no flat rates though with FedEx and UPS for heavy stuff. 

FedEx and UPS online have the same kind of calculated shipping where the closer the destination, the cheaper the price. After you have put in all the info, box sizes, etc, you get several prices ranging from very cheap if you chose the Economy Domestic delivery that takes a few days longer to Next Day which is of course very expensive. Naturally I always choose the cheapest price they offer. They will also pick up the item.

I would recommend to anyone before they ship any heavy stuff to run the costs online through FedEx, UPS and even the USPS, though for heavy stuff you will probably get for domestic shipping the best deals with FedEx and UPS. UPS offers daily deep discounts for freight shipping with an account.

Message 20 of 20
latest reply