cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How much can I sell without adding it to my income taxes?

How much can I sell per year without adding it to my income taxes?

I live in Minnesota, if that matters.

Message 1 of 33
latest reply
1 BEST ANSWER

Accepted Solutions

@dbfolks166mt wrote: ... if you sell over $600 you will receive a 1099-K from eBay. ...

The IRS has stated that it plans to set a threshold of $5000 for 2024, but that has not been finalized.  The threshold for 2022 ($20K) was announced in December 2022, and the threshold for 2023 (still $20K) was announced in November 2023, so IMHO there's no point in speculating now. The threshold for 2024  could turn out to be $600, but we don't know yet.

View Best Answer in original post

Message 21 of 33
latest reply
32 REPLIES 32

Nothing .... all sales are considered income

klhmdg  •  Volunteer Community Mentor
Message 2 of 33
latest reply

Don't forget to use all of your legal deductions!

When you dine with leopards, it is wise to check the menu lest you find yourself as the main course.

#freedomtoread
#readbannedbooks
Message 3 of 33
latest reply

to be technical....you can sell as much as you want

all that matters is what part of that is taxable

in other words, if you sell 1000.00 worth of stuff, but your costs/deductions are 1000.00 your taxable income is ZERO

Message 4 of 33
latest reply

None, you're supposed to report all your income.

Have a great day
Message 5 of 33
latest reply

...$599...

Message 6 of 33
latest reply

If your items are being sold at a loss, it won't affect your income at all.  You will have made no profit.

Message 7 of 33
latest reply

@jthole ,

In most cases you take gross sales which includes any shipping fees you collected from the buyer, subtract ebay fees, shipping fees, mileage driven to the post office, costs of the items, and etc. You will need receipts to show the cost of your items. 

ANY income  whether is $5.00 or 5 million dollars after subtracting costs of your sales is taxable at both the state and federal label. Just because you don't get a 1099 doesn't mean you don't have to report your income. The IRS specifically mentions this.

Message 8 of 33
latest reply

@umccars 

@umccars wrote:

...$599...

Even $599.00 amount of income should be declared on your taxes. Depending on what your business expenses are it may or may not be taxable, speak to a tax professional.

Message 9 of 33
latest reply

total is not based on sold prices but Ebay also adds in the shipping cost and taxes paid by the buyer. This makes the amount look great to the stockholders but sellers realize the amount is fake.

Message 10 of 33
latest reply

@cashmeredelight wrote:

total is not based on sold prices but Ebay also adds in the shipping cost and taxes paid by the buyer. This makes the amount look great to the stockholders but sellers realize the amount is fake.

If you get a 1099-K from eBay, it includes the buyers' total payments for the item and for shipping, but not the sales tax amount.  This system is what the law requires; it's not something that eBay has chosen to manipulate.

Message 11 of 33
latest reply

Without knowing what other income you have no one can give you a real answer. If you have zero income now, you could make up to your standard deduction before Federal income Tax kicks in. . 

Message 12 of 33
latest reply

@jthole 

You can also deduct the payments that you are no doubt paying for the use of the Charlie Brown character as your identifier on your eBay site.

You ARE paying for that image -- aren't you?!?

Or are you side-stepping that issue, as well?

Message 13 of 33
latest reply

@umccars wrote:

...$599...

Where did you come up with that number?

Have a great day
Message 14 of 33
latest reply

Minnesota is same as any other state...IRS requires that you report every dollar earned whether you get 1099 or not.    You report "gross sales" to IRS and then deduct business expenses (EBAY fees, shipping expense (cost of printing labels), returned merchandise, cost of goods, mileage, packing supplies, office supplies, etc).   If you have home office (dedicated to EBAY) or you store merchandise in your home you can also deduct % of your rent & utilities.  You only pay income tax on "net amount" after all business expenses are deducted.

EBAY has "easy to read" 1-page report that shows YTD totals for (orders, returns, EBAY fees, shipping expense).   To print report go to Payment, Reports, REPORTS (NEW) and select LAST YEAR.   This report will be very helpful during tax time.

You will be responsible for keeping tracking of other expenses and also inventory sold.   You will need to provide tax accountant with cost of goods amount for:

BEGINNING INVENTORY on hand - Jan. 1

ENDING INVENTORY on hand - Dec. 31

If you have never filed "business taxes" before I suggest you consult a tax accountant.

Message 15 of 33
latest reply