cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How many days do you have to wait before canceling an order if they don't pay?

How many days must you wait to give someone the ability to pay until you just cancel the order because they didn't pay?

Message 1 of 14
latest reply
13 REPLIES 13

Re: How many days do you have to wait before canceling an order if they don't pay?

Four days. Yeah, I know, way too long.

Don't send invoices, as it just extends the payment window, and don't bother asking - they either pay or they don't. Be certain to file for non-payment if they don't.

When you dine with leopards, it is wise to check the menu lest you find yourself as the main course.

#freedomtoread
#readbannedbooks
Message 2 of 14
latest reply

Re: How many days do you have to wait before canceling an order if they don't pay?

Ninety six hours and one second.

Use the clock like a robot , not the calendar.

Message 3 of 14
latest reply

eBay allows buyers 4 day max to pay but you can communicate your own requirement to buyers. I always wait a day and then message them to either complete payment by end of day 2 or contact me if they need more time and if no payment or reply order will be canceled. 

"What do we live for, if it's not to make life less difficult for each other?" — G Eliot
Message 4 of 14
latest reply

"Your own requirement."

Unless your listing is set up with immediate payment required, every buyer has at least 96 hours to pay.

If I were a buyer and received that message, I would probably mention it unfavorably in the FB I left.  

Message 5 of 14
latest reply

Any orders (doesn't happen often) that I see waiting for payment or send invoice, I cancel.   I offer free shipping and they know how much the item cost.  Why do they need an invoice?  Just pay for it.  

Message 6 of 14
latest reply

As others mentioned it's 96 hours, aka 4 days. You can also setup your account preferences to do the cancelation automatically. In your account settings under Selling select Selling Preferences. 

dbfolks166mt_0-1710686643914.png

Edit the preferences for items awaiting payment

dbfolks166mt_1-1710686697998.png

Set your preferences, you can also have the item automatically relisted if you wish. You cannot select less than 4 days. 

dbfolks166mt_2-1710686851716.png

Message 7 of 14
latest reply

@robxznyc wrote:

eBay allows buyers 4 day max to pay but you can communicate your own requirement to buyers. I always wait a day and then message them to either complete payment by end of day 2 or contact me if they need more time and if no payment or reply order will be canceled. 

And what reason would you use "by the end of day 2?" You can't use non-payment (because it won't show up yet) and you can't lie and say that the buyer requested it. 

So do you take the OOS hit? You won't be selling long if you have too many of them. 

albertabrightalberta
Volunteer Community Mentor

Message 8 of 14
latest reply

I don't owe any reason why I expect payment by day 2. If buyer needs more time reply to my message. If they still want the item after order is canceled they can buy it again. 

My listings don't accept offer. All the orders pending payments are offers I initiated and buyers accepted. For this type of offers in recent eBay seller update it states buyer will begin to be required to pay at the time they accept offers. 

"What do we live for, if it's not to make life less difficult for each other?" — G Eliot
Message 9 of 14
latest reply

@williazwer_0 

4 days...on day 5 cancel the order citing non payment & then block the buyer from further taking up your time.

Have a great day!

Message 10 of 14
latest reply

I don't owe any reason why I expect payment by day 2. If buyer needs more time reply to my message. If they still want the item after order is canceled they can buy it again. 

When you cancel an order you have to select a reason for the cancelation. 

My listings don't accept offer. All the orders pending payments are offers I initiated and buyers accepted. For this type of offers in recent eBay seller update it states buyer will begin to be required to pay at the time they accept offers. 

Items pending payment are not offers they are orders. You need to have a clear understanding of what an offer and acceptance is. At the present time sellers have an option to turn on auto-pay for offers only. This requires a buyer to provide a payment method BEFORE they send an offer. 

All of your listings are BIN and non are using OBO so as long as you have immediate payment required turned on for the listings you should have no problem with payment. If you do not have IPR set then yes you may get a non-payer. As to what the buyer may or may not do after the sale, shipment and receipt is another matter. 

Most of your items are listed with "seller does not accept returns" and you need to understand that that does not translate to no refunds under the MBG. 

Message 11 of 14
latest reply

You've misunderstood a message.  Every selling site has selling rules.  Unless you are listing with fixed price, immediate payment required, you are violating one of those rules.  

Message 12 of 14
latest reply

You owe eBay a reason even if you didn't owe your buyer one (I would say you owe them one too).  What you choose has a huge impact on your future here on eBay.

Message 13 of 14
latest reply

It looks like that seller plans on cancelling, citing "did not pay" after day #2 and does not believe that he can't do that.  

Message 14 of 14
latest reply