cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Buyer Harassing Me About A Cancelled Order Refund

A guy ordered a pair of jeans from me yesterday on my selling account. He ordered the wrong size and wanted to cancel. No worries.

He is harassing me about his refund. I have explained several times that the refund is automatically issued by Ebay when the order is cancelled (and have now supplied screenshots for him). I also mentioned on this last go around that he can also check the details of the order cancellation and refund on his end.

His latest message to me was "You need to refund me. YOU will not like my feedback 💯"

I HAVE refunded him. How long does it usually take for a refund to hit the funding source?

Message 1 of 11
latest reply
1 BEST ANSWER

Accepted Solutions

Just add him to your BBL and block his messages.

You should have no problem getting a negative removed.

The best thing you can do is NOT say anything unprofessional or inappropriate that could give them the ability to leave negative feedback.

As long as the sale was cancelled with 'Buyer requested' all refunds are handled by eBay.

View Best Answer in original post

Message 2 of 11
latest reply
10 REPLIES 10

Just add him to your BBL and block his messages.

You should have no problem getting a negative removed.

The best thing you can do is NOT say anything unprofessional or inappropriate that could give them the ability to leave negative feedback.

As long as the sale was cancelled with 'Buyer requested' all refunds are handled by eBay.

Message 2 of 11
latest reply

Did you get an email from Ebay telling you that the refund was being processed.  If you did not, you should go and take a look at the detailed transactions on your MP account.

I suggest this because once not so long ago I did a cancellation and Ebay did NOT process the refund.  I had to go in and process the refund myself.  So just to be safe, verify.

Something else you can share with your buyer is that the refund will go back to whatever payment source they used when making the payment.  That is the only choice and it can take 2-3 days for it to get processed back to their funding source.

mam98031  •  Volunteer Community Member  •  Buyer/Seller since 1999
Message 3 of 11
latest reply

How long it takes to hit their funding source, kind of depends on how they paid.

It could be a few days, a few weeks or a month or more.

Have a great day
Message 4 of 11
latest reply

Send them the confirmation that should be in your messages in box.

Just curious if the buyer returned the jeans?  Was wrong size ordered or sent?

Message 5 of 11
latest reply

The order was cancelled before they were sent.

Message 6 of 11
latest reply

Refunds confuse buyers. They expect to visually see a monetary refund. They won't.  It is a tedious process that requires the buyer to keep checking their payment source (credit card) for the refund.

Message 7 of 11
latest reply

True, but it's the same for all non-cash purchases, online, brick and mortar, you name it.  It might be confusing the first 1 or 2 times in someone's life but after that if they expect to see a refund deposited and available instantly, they must be brain damaged or something. 

Message 8 of 11
latest reply

@mam98031 

Got the confirmation message, and they buyer should have gotten one as well.  I haven't heard back since yesterday afternoon. I BBLed him, so that's a start!

Message 9 of 11
latest reply

Dude's ignorant impatience would be galling enough if he'd bought the item on a Tuesday or whatever, but on a Saturday?  What PLANET is he from?  

About adding him (or anyone) to your BBL, there is something to keep in mind.  -Up until .... I'm not sure exactly how long ago, maybe 6 months ago .... when you added someone to your BBL, whether or not you would continue to see their messages was YOUR option (there was a setting in Seller Preferences).  But for some dumb reason, they changed the programming (with no formal announcement; this was one of many changes you would only learn about here) to where messages are blocked.  And just as importantly, the blocked buyer doesn't KNOW they're blocked; the option to open, compose, and send a message "to" you remains, with nothing popping up to inform them that it's just going to vanish into space and not reach your inbox.  

While the idea of no longer hearing from a bad buyer might sound wonderful, common wisdom among most sellers (when blocking messages was optional) was that it was better to be aware of what the buyer is thinking or asking about and decide if you want to reply or not, than to completely blind yourself.  Right after I found out about the change, I had a guy threatening to come to my house, so I felt I had no choice but to leave him able to purchase from me, just to stay aware of his possible intentions. Yeah, it sucks big time.  There is a running thread about this problem started by @wastingtime101 .    -Hey wasted, have you heard any updates on if they're going to reverse this stupid change?  

Message 10 of 11
latest reply

No updates that I'm aware of @gurlcat . kyle@ebay has been passing on our feedback about this.

GLORIOUS!

Confused about the switch to eBay discounted shipping? Read this discussion to make an informed decision about opt in / opt out.
Message 11 of 11
latest reply