cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How important is it to buyer to buy from someone that has free returns?

I am curious, I actually posted before similar to this, asking what sellers thought of it and if they offered free returns. I want to know how many buyers actually search by free returns and is it important to the buyer to purchase from a seller with free returns? I am considering it again since I could use the discount. Business has picked up quite a bit and my ebay fees are outrageous. The 10% wasn't a big deal to me before but I could sure use it now since my sales are so much higher that before when I thought about doing this. Just looking for input from some buyers on this topic. Any feedback at all greatly appreciated. Thanks!!!

Message 1 of 60
latest reply
59 REPLIES 59

Not at all.  I buy from sellers who have quality items at the price I want with reasonable shipping.  Then I check their feedback.

If that's all good-I will buy.

Good Moms let you lick the Beaters.

Great Moms turn them off first.
Message 2 of 60
latest reply

As a buyer, I've never once looked at what someone's return policy is.   I don't buy something to return it. I don't return things for buyer's remorse - if I don't like something I've bought I just resell it or give it to someone else who wants it.  If there were any sort of problem such as a SNAD, if the seller didn't make it right, Ebay, Paypal or my debit card would.

For me as a buyer, it's not important.

The easier you are to offend the easier you are to control.

We seem to be getting closer and closer to a situation where nobody is responsible for what they did but we are all responsible for what somebody else did. - Thomas Sowell
Message 3 of 60
latest reply

I could care less about free returns because if I get a snad you will pay the return anyway. With that said doing a survey of sellers would result in the most inaccurate survey ever performed. You would have to survey millions of Ebay BUYERS to get the results you are looking for.

Message 4 of 60
latest reply

While it is possible that some people will use 'free returns' to rent items-- particularly in clothing, I suspect-- this is not only on eBay, nor is it particularly new.

My sister's MIL bought a new dinette set from Eaton's (Canadians will know how long ago this must be.) when she was holding a wedding shower for her.

Then she returned the set after the shower for a full refund, including pickup and delivery.

It was a family story that got laughter and head shaking from everyone at my sister's 60th anniversary party.

So.

There really is no big change.

Seller can still, as before, demand a return before refunding.

Even if they have a "no returns" policy.

Buyers returning for Buyer Remorse still have to pay return shipping.

No change there.

Buyers returning as Not As Described get return shipping paid by the seller.

No change there.

The difference is that eBay is telling buyers that they can buy with confidence because the seller guarantees "Satisfaction Guaranteed or Your Money Refunded."

That was the slogan of Eaton's,  Canada's premiere department store.

Timothy Eaton started using it in 1869. http://www.cbc.ca/player/play/1765889598

EBay moving briskly into the 19th century.

I find it sad that so many sellers fear a common Best Practice of most businesses.

How many problems or Disputes have you had in the past year? Past ten years?

Do returns and refunds make up more than one percent of your transactions?

Do you use Cookie Jar Insurance (self-insurance) to cover the occasional problem that requires return postage?

Is your fear real and based on your current selling history, or a reaction to fear mongering?

Message 5 of 60
latest reply

since I could use the discount

The discount is perhaps the worst reason to go to Free Returns.  It's 10 of 10%.  If your average item is $15, you're saving 15 cents; if you get ONE Free Return that costs $3 to ship back, you have to sell 20 items to pay for it with the piddly 1% savings.

The best reason to consider it is if you believe it will sell more items that have a good margin.  Then at least you can cover the cost of a Free Return with that one extra sale you made.

A fair reason to consider to consider Free Returns is the ability to deduct a percentage off of defective returns.  This again could pay for itself pretty quickly.

As to your actual question, I , like most boardies I suspect, rarely seek Free Returns as a buyer.  But plenty of consumers  - that aren't sellers themselves - want that guarantee that they'll be out nothing if the item doesn't work out for them.

Lastly, Free Returns can be an albatross around the neck of sellers with scant or confusing descriptions. 

Message 6 of 60
latest reply

I was just curious if buyers care about that or search that way. I honestly have only had two returns open ever since I have started selling on ebay over a year ago. One was someone that had buyers remorse and the other the person ordered wrong auto part, then realized they needed something else. So honestly not worried about returns. I never get returns for items not as described. I try to be clear and up front as possible about condition etc.
Message 7 of 60
latest reply

That was part of reason I asked if buyers search that way , wanted to see if it would drive more traffic for more sales is a big reason I asked as well.
Message 8 of 60
latest reply

Tbh, any buyer who uses a Free Returns filter isn't one I want anyway.
Reality is the leading cause of stress.
Message 9 of 60
latest reply

fully agree with that statement. I don't want people abusing it.
Message 10 of 60
latest reply

Having Free returns means absolutely nothing to me.

Beware of attracting those buyers who want listings that offer free returns.

Message 11 of 60
latest reply

Much the same here.

With one ID or another, we've been selling on eBay since 1998.

And mail order, every thing from postage stamps to cast iron wood stoves, since 1978.

Returns are rare -- just as you say-- if you picture and describe clearly, you  won't have any great problems. And when there is a disagreement, communication often solves it.

It's business, not personal.

Message 12 of 60
latest reply

Price is what matters most to me most of the time. I buy whatever is cheapest as long as the seller has good feedback and it won't arrive too late.

If the price is the same I will buy from free returns. If it's an item that i'm not sure I want i may pay $1-$2 more for free returns, but then most likely the seller is going to pay for the return.
Message 13 of 60
latest reply

No one can tell how many want free returns OR take the "offer" as a sign that the seller is willing to stand behind their product in making a buying decision.  People on this board know the INS/OUTS of ebay, the casual buyer doesn't, and particularly the new buyer doesn't. 

For those reasons, as well as few returns, I offer free returns........  Frankly, if you have alot of returns, you probably shouldn't offer it......but if few......I would at least try it for a while...  You'll probably never be able to tell if it helps or not...... but how can it hurt IF you don't get alot of returns? 

Message 14 of 60
latest reply

@dinpavent0 wrote:

I am curious, I actually posted before similar to this, asking what sellers thought of it and if they offered free returns. I want to know how many buyers actually search by free returns and is it important to the buyer to purchase from a seller with free returns? I am considering it again since I could use the discount. Business has picked up quite a bit and my ebay fees are outrageous. The 10% wasn't a big deal to me before but I could sure use it now since my sales are so much higher that before when I thought about doing this. Just looking for input from some buyers on this topic. Any feedback at all greatly appreciated. Thanks!!!

I do far more selling than buying here, but I am a buyer.  Free Returns has zero importance to me.  Free Returns, I Pay to Return, No Returns, it does not affect anything, I really don't even look at it.

The Floggings Will Continue Until Morale Improves.
Message 15 of 60
latest reply