cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How does spouse notify ebay when seller wife dies

This issue is a constant worry of mine. I have everything planned and set up for my aging husband to handle if I should die. BUT SETTLING EBAY IS THE ONLY THING NOT PLANNED. My husband is 81 and not very computer literate. There is no way he can get onto ebay and navigate through hoops to finally have customer service call him. We have no friends who are familiar with ebay to help. I have written out phone numbers for him to call for everything else like social security, pension, etc. WHAT DO I DO WITH EBAY? I'm so dismayed that ebay can't just have a phone number for this purpose- shame on them. I guess I will leave instructions for my husband to run to the bank and immediately close the account I have linked for ebay (his name is on the account). This way Ebay can't start pulling money from me for whatever reason. Does anyone have any idea what I can do?

Message 1 of 32
latest reply
31 REPLIES 31

Re: How does spouse notify ebay when seller wife dies

What if that's all there is in the afterlife? 

Message 16 of 32
latest reply

"You say "just leave a number for him". What number? An Ebay phone number? That's what I'm looking for so he can call Ebay. Do you have it?"

Maybe it would just be easier for him to go to the "Contact Us" link on the bottom of every page.When the page comes up, type in"Agent" in the search box.Follow the prompts.

``````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````

“Never pick a fight with an ugly person. They don’t have anything to lose.” ~Robin Williams
Message 17 of 32
latest reply

@makebidz wrote:

Maybe hire a lawyer to close your eBay account when the time comes! If for some reason your husband passes first you’ll have the necessary plans arrange!

There's nothing like offering a $10,000 solution to a $500 problem.

Message 18 of 32
latest reply

@hiv801 wrote:

This issue is a constant worry of mine. I have everything planned and set up for my aging husband to handle if I should die. BUT SETTLING EBAY IS THE ONLY THING NOT PLANNED. My husband is 81 and not very computer literate. There is no way he can get onto ebay and navigate through hoops to finally have customer service call him. We have no friends who are familiar with ebay to help. I have written out phone numbers for him to call for everything else like social security, pension, etc. WHAT DO I DO WITH EBAY? I'm so dismayed that ebay can't just have a phone number for this purpose- shame on them. I guess I will leave instructions for my husband to run to the bank and immediately close the account I have linked for ebay (his name is on the account). This way Ebay can't start pulling money from me for whatever reason. Does anyone have any idea what I can do?

Do you have children or grandchildren who can handle the resolution of any eBay issues? Or even children or grandchildren of close friends?

Message 19 of 32
latest reply

Thank you for your input. I am so very sorry for your losses. 

Message 20 of 32
latest reply

I have often thought the same thing- I'm gone so whatever will be, will be- I won't know about it. But then the sympathetic side of me kicks in and I can't live with myself for not trying to make things easier for my husband. Guilt will kill me faster.

Message 21 of 32
latest reply

I will try to do that. Then we can practice. Thanks for the suggestion.

Message 22 of 32
latest reply

This would be my best option if I do it with him for practice. I saw the Close Account button- wish I could hit it to see what happens and where it leads. But can't do that so hopefully he will have someone with him to help figure it out. 

Message 23 of 32
latest reply

If your husband can log in with your username and password, he can use the 'have us call you' link on the left side of this page: https://www.ebay.com/help/contact_us?id=4002&st=10

GLORIOUS!

Confused about the switch to eBay discounted shipping? Read this discussion to make an informed decision about opt in / opt out.
Message 24 of 32
latest reply

Thank you, he just passed away this morning...😭

KrazzyKats
Volunteer Community Mentor

Message 25 of 32
latest reply

Ask a AI:

I’m sorry for your loss.

To notify eBay of a user’s passing, you can contact eBay customer service and request that the account be closed. A relative or executor of the estate can do this by contacting eBay customer service and explaining the situation.

Alternatively, you can log in to eBay’s account closure page and select a reason for leaving. You may be prompted to specify your reasons further on the following page. On the Confirm Closure page, read the conditions of account deletion and check the box indicating such.

Finally, click the “Close My Account” button.

😭

KrazzyKats
Volunteer Community Mentor

Message 26 of 32
latest reply

It doesn't seem as if a majority of responders actually read your post. 

Message 27 of 32
latest reply

Doesn't sound like the intent.

An immediately closed account is not likely to have much in the line of "deposits" made for transactions that were processing.

Message 28 of 32
latest reply

I know you mentioned that you do not have any friends familiar with ebay but you haven't mentioned if you have adult children since that should be the first option to use. I don't see "practicing" as working in the long run unless you plan on doing it quite often. In the absence of any adult to help you, you should provide instructions for the executor of your estate or the lawyer who will oversee the estate. Which also brings up the topic-do you have other online accounts that your husband would need to have information about? And can he handle those on his own. I ask all this because I understand your predicament - my 73 year-old husband never uses the computer and my daughters know where I keep all my passwords.

Message 29 of 32
latest reply

I am so very sorry for your loss. Please know that you are both in my prayers.

Message 30 of 32
latest reply