cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How does spouse notify ebay when seller wife dies

This issue is a constant worry of mine. I have everything planned and set up for my aging husband to handle if I should die. BUT SETTLING EBAY IS THE ONLY THING NOT PLANNED. My husband is 81 and not very computer literate. There is no way he can get onto ebay and navigate through hoops to finally have customer service call him. We have no friends who are familiar with ebay to help. I have written out phone numbers for him to call for everything else like social security, pension, etc. WHAT DO I DO WITH EBAY? I'm so dismayed that ebay can't just have a phone number for this purpose- shame on them. I guess I will leave instructions for my husband to run to the bank and immediately close the account I have linked for ebay (his name is on the account). This way Ebay can't start pulling money from me for whatever reason. Does anyone have any idea what I can do?

Message 1 of 32
latest reply
1 BEST ANSWER

Accepted Solutions

Re: How does spouse notify ebay when seller wife dies

That's a valid concern. Ebay should actually come up with a policy or at least a designated phone number or contact for people to let them know that a seller is deceased. 

I found this about closing an account and the very last line of it addresses your concern. It just says "contact us" which you click on. I opened it and it led to a chat box. No help if you ask me. You can request an agent at that point, but that will not be any good if your spouse isn't computer savvy. He would have already jumped through hoops. https://www.ebay.com/help/account/changing-account-settings/closing-account?id=4199&st=3&pos=3&query....

My suggestion? Hopefully you use either facebook or twitter? Leave your login info for them and have him search for and contact ebay for business on either site. He can just send them a message from there. That's probably the easiest way for him to navigate tech world. 

View Best Answer in original post

Message 9 of 32
latest reply
31 REPLIES 31

Just leave a number for him to have for Ebay to return his call, they will want him to provide the death certificate to close your account, thats what I did when my sister passed away. Her pending transactions were canceled, and the buyers refunded.

What to do if a seller dies on eBay?

Once the spouse or family member provided the death certificate then the account would be permanently closed. 

``````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````

“Never pick a fight with an ugly person. They don’t have anything to lose.” ~Robin Williams
Message 2 of 32
latest reply

After reading eBay's page of instructions about closing your own account, and after having to deal with closing out my late husband's affairs, my instructions to my family in case of my death are as simple as possible: step-by step instructions on how to immediately cancel all of my active listings, and then a link to the page about closing your account. As long as they have your email and password, they can just pretend to be you and not get involved with phone calls, death certificates, etc.

Message 3 of 32
latest reply

I'm always surprised how shameless low-ethics folks are.  If you die, your husband's first task is to run to the bank and close your account?  The idea is to keep the money from sales you just made and didn't ship out, leaving buyer and eBay high and dry?  You don't realize how bad that sounds?  

Maybe - just maybe - your husband will have better things to do than make sure he is able to keep funds that aren't earned.  

Message 4 of 32
latest reply

You did exactly what I would like to do BUT, again, my husband wouldn't have the ability to navigate through ebay (even with instructions) to end listings, click on links, etc. So still back where I started- we need a phone number that he can call. Why can't ebay provide that? It's not that difficult.

Message 5 of 32
latest reply

You say "just leave a number for him". What number? An Ebay phone number? That's what I'm looking for so he can call Ebay. Do you have it?

Message 6 of 32
latest reply

Here's a link to the basic Help page about closing an account. At the very bottom of the page is a link about closing a deceased member's account.

https://www.ebay.com/help/account/changing-account-settings/closing-account?id=4199 

But IIRC there's a single step for ending all of your listings at once, and you could just leave him your login info and a link to that page. Maybe even print out some screen shots with helpful circles and arrows.

Message 7 of 32
latest reply

There is no negative feedback or INRs in the afterlife.

Message 8 of 32
latest reply

That's a valid concern. Ebay should actually come up with a policy or at least a designated phone number or contact for people to let them know that a seller is deceased. 

I found this about closing an account and the very last line of it addresses your concern. It just says "contact us" which you click on. I opened it and it led to a chat box. No help if you ask me. You can request an agent at that point, but that will not be any good if your spouse isn't computer savvy. He would have already jumped through hoops. https://www.ebay.com/help/account/changing-account-settings/closing-account?id=4199&st=3&pos=3&query....

My suggestion? Hopefully you use either facebook or twitter? Leave your login info for them and have him search for and contact ebay for business on either site. He can just send them a message from there. That's probably the easiest way for him to navigate tech world. 

Message 9 of 32
latest reply

Do you have a relative or close friend that would be able to follow a few easy step by step instructions on how to end all your listings?

Message 10 of 32
latest reply

My daughter knows where I keep my password list and can handle closing my accounts.  Most adult children are very computer literate these days and should be able to do this.

I also may be closing an account soon due to this.  And this is not my first time as I lost my husband (a network engineer) in 2002, and am now losing my BF for the past 20 years .   Both are eBay members.

I have my store on vacation as it's a very difficult time for me and the family.   Doubt closing the account will be first on my list as I will have other things to settle.

KrazzyKats
Volunteer Community Mentor

Message 11 of 32
latest reply

I am in the exact same situation. I have made a list of everything to do, and all the accounts and assets. I included instructions and sign in codes to end all my listings and close my account. Then ..... I decided not to worry about it. I can't affect what he winds up doing when I'm gone. I'm going with that serenity prayer thing, where you change what you can and accept what you can't change.

(EBay will be quick to suspend your account and retrieve the funds you received if your account doesn't get closed and you get lots of unfulfilled sales. You will be gone, you won't mind that your account is suspended.)

Message 12 of 32
latest reply

Even you would have trouble closing your store. It's a lengthy process and the store will continue  to be open in case someone wants to return something. When you can no longer pack and ship,  you could delete all items. After maybe 6 months try and actually close the store.

Message 13 of 32
latest reply

Maybe hire a lawyer to close your eBay account when the time comes! If for some reason your husband passes first you’ll have the necessary plans arrange!

Message 14 of 32
latest reply

Perhaps consider closing your eBay account while you can do it yourself.  That would work. Problem solved.

Message 15 of 32
latest reply