cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How does "LOCAL PICK-UP" work for large items if sellers are suspended for having Local Customers?

So I have a Question?

If Sellers are punished by Ebay for having a brick and mortar location for their business,  and are suspended for selling their own items own their own selling channels.

Then why does EBAY offer a LOCAL PICK-UP option for oversize items?

Why don't they ban people for selling more expensive items that can only be picked up Locally?

Does that mean that Car Sales, Vacation Rentals, Heavy Equipment, Trailers, etc.... are all now illegal to sell according to EBAY's new Customer Contact Restrictions.

And how much of a fine are they able to levy against say an EBAY Seller with  a used car lot.  Or that sells, like construction equipment locally.

A new Wheel Loader can be hundreds of thousands of dollars.

Does that mean that if ebay feels like it they can just reach into anyone's accounts and steal the commission on a $10,000 sale if they want to?   or a $50,000 sale?

Can they just charge users 13% of a 100,000 wheel loader if they suspect that they have their own dealership and are using EBAY to help them sell slow moving inventory?

Can EBAY just reach into anyones business accounts and just withdraw $10,000 dollars for no reason?

hHw about $15,000 of $20,000?

I'm just wonder what the exact dollar amount is,  where it stops being a fair balanced policy, against small sellers, and starts becoming theft against established dealerships or wholesale businesses?

What is the cut off point, where they can just steal your money, with no apparent violation, on your part and not be a crime?

Message 1 of 21
latest reply
20 REPLIES 20

How does "LOCAL PICK-UP" work for large items if sellers are suspended for having Local Customers?

Those who sell in the car categories have different rules then the rest of us.

And if you list it locally and someone buys it, ebay takes their fees, and you are good to go.

It is those that list items and abruptly end them as problem with listing, but never relist, that ebay gets suspicious about.

Message 2 of 21
latest reply

What if someone walks onto the lot,  and then buys it directly?

If it's a local sale,  wouldn't the customer want to see the item first?

And then that would be considered an offsite sale,  and illegal customer contact?

Wouldn't you be suspended?

Message 3 of 21
latest reply

And, what if someone buys the item,  so you need to end the listing.

Then they have to pay the commision on the sale to EBAY anyway?

Even if it was a drive buy,  or a local referal?

Message 4 of 21
latest reply

What if it's a Smoker BBQ, or some other large item that isn't specifically a car?

Then is your account automatically suspended if you have a local referal for a sale from a previous customer who had nothing to do with EBAY,  so you had to end an auction early?

There are thousands of Items that aren't cars that are heavy and would be best suited for local contact from your buyer.  What happens in that case?

how do those new rules about off site sales apply.

I just had a customer beg me to come pick up an item locally,  after they paid in full including shipping,  and I completely blew them off because I figured it was one of the shills on these boards trying to set me up or something.

I'm scared to even respond to questions anymore.  I'd rather treat all ebay's buyers like garbage, then have EBAY coming after me and suspending me, for trying to do right by the customer, and provide good customer service.

To me it's a no brainer,  just treat the customers like **bleep**,  or EBAY will kick you off for no reason.

Message 5 of 21
latest reply

".... What is the cut off point, where they can just steal your money, with no apparent violation, on your part and not be a crime?"

Well, isn't it obvious?

It is listed in the UA, I don't know how many time - 'at our sole discretion'.

You  see, that is covered in the UA, as well.

Not saying 'NO' doesn't mean 'YES'.

The foolishness of one's actions or words is determined by the number of witnesses.

Perhaps if Brains were described as an APP, many people would use them more often.

Respect, like money, is only of 'worth' when it is earned - with all due respect, it can not be ordained, legislated or coerced. Anonymous
Message 6 of 21
latest reply

@gracieallen01 wrote:

Well, isn't it obvious? ....  'at our sole discretion'.

Exactly,  What the hell does that mean?

Message 7 of 21
latest reply

The simple work-around would be to decide beforehand whether you are listing on eBay or selling locally - and if selling on eBay, then wait until the listing ends naturally before offering it locally.

Message 8 of 21
latest reply

leaf_wholesale wrote:..........If Sellers are punished by Ebay for having a brick and mortar location for their business,  and are suspended for selling their own items own their own selling channels.

Then why does EBAY offer a LOCAL PICK-UP option for oversize items?

Why don't they ban people for selling more expensive items that can only be picked up Locally?

Does that mean that Car Sales, Vacation Rentals, Heavy Equipment, Trailers, etc.... are all now illegal to sell according to EBAY's new Customer Contact Restrictions.

And how much of a fine are they able to levy against say an EBAY Seller with  a used car lot.  Or that sells, like construction equipment locally.

A new Wheel Loader can be hundreds of thousands of dollars.

Does that mean that if ebay feels like it they can just reach into anyone's accounts and steal the commission on a $10,000 sale if they want to?   or a $50,000 sale?

Can they just charge users 13% of a 100,000 wheel loader if they suspect that they have their own dealership and are using EBAY to help them sell slow moving inventory?

Can EBAY just reach into anyones business accounts and just withdraw $10,000 dollars for no reason?

hHw about $15,000 of $20,000?

I'm just wonder what the exact dollar amount is,  where it stops being a fair balanced policy, against small sellers, and starts becoming theft against established dealerships or wholesale businesses?

What is the cut off point, where they can just steal your money, with no apparent violation, on your part and not be a crime?

What are you even talking about???

Message 9 of 21
latest reply

@leaf_wholesale wrote:

@gracieallen01 wrote:

Well, isn't it obvious? ....  'at our sole discretion'.

Exactly,  What the hell does that mean?

Well, it could mean ANYTHING from, "Well, this looks screwy, so let's get somebody to look at it and see if there is something we can do to fix it" to "Well, the end of the quarter is coming up.  We'll turn the bots loose to pick up what change they can, since we can - at our discretion".

Sometimes, I think it depends on the time of day, phase of the moon and whether the surf is up or it is a standup day.

Not saying 'NO' doesn't mean 'YES'.

The foolishness of one's actions or words is determined by the number of witnesses.

Perhaps if Brains were described as an APP, many people would use them more often.

Respect, like money, is only of 'worth' when it is earned - with all due respect, it can not be ordained, legislated or coerced. Anonymous
Message 10 of 21
latest reply

I don't understand your scenario either.  Are you trying to use ebay as an advertising venue to bring in local customers by listing Pick Up only?  Or what?

I have an item on local pickup only and have for months.  I just don't want to ship the item and I figure some day maybe someone local (I live in a large urban area) will be interested.  So it depends on your reason for local pick up only, seems to me.

I did sell 1 item by local pick up only - a treadmill there was NO WAY  could be shipped.  Eventually someone drove 4 hrs to pick it up.    I think things like that are the main reason for local pick up.

Message 11 of 21
latest reply

@leaf_wholesale wrote:

What if someone walks onto the lot,  and then buys it directly?

If it's a local sale,  wouldn't the customer want to see the item first?

And then that would be considered an offsite sale,  and illegal customer contact?

Wouldn't you be suspended?

I already told you that the ebay motor category does not work the same way as the rest of ebay.

Message 12 of 21
latest reply

@leaf_wholesale wrote:

And, what if someone buys the item,  so you need to end the listing.

Then they have to pay the commision on the sale to EBAY anyway?

Even if it was a drive buy,  or a local referal?

Ebay has softened their rules a bit but in the past you were not allowed to sell in other venues an item listed on ebay.

And even now if you only have one of them it really should not be listed in multiple  venues.

Message 13 of 21
latest reply

You can list items for local pickup, cash only.

You just cannot keep ending the listings abrptly because ebay is not naive in thinking you are trying to cut them out of their fee.

Ebay is not a free advertising site.

Message 14 of 21
latest reply

@leaf_wholesale wrote:

I'm scared to even respond to questions anymore.  I'd rather treat all ebay's buyers like garbage, then have EBAY coming after me and suspending me, for trying to do right by the customer, and provide good customer service.

To me it's a no brainer,  just treat the customers like **bleep**,  or EBAY will kick you off for no reason.

With this attitude, why even be here at all?

Message 15 of 21
latest reply