cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How does ebay standard envelope tracking actually work?

So I have been a bit frustrated of late regarding the unreliability of tracking for ebay standard envelope and would like the communities input on how this is supposed to work.  Ebay touts this as a great thing but I have numerous examples of items being delivered that never show up as delivered in the tracking.  This creates potential scamming opportunities for dishonest buyers as they can easily claim something wasn't received (even though it was) by simply monitoring the tracking that is never updated by eBay or the PO.  They can then file a INR claim which the buyer can't defend.  Of course this goes back to the long standing policy at eBay that the buyer is always protected even though the seller had nothing to do with the item being lost.

I have found nothing on eBay's website that explains the agreement they have with the PO to do this tracking.  I've talked to my local post office folks and they report that their system does not provide the tracking.  If you try to input the eBay tracking number into the PO system you'll see this is true.  If you ask customer service where the item is they can't tell you either.  My observation is that the items are scanned in some way at the main post office (not the local one) and that info is sent to eBay somehow for posting on the seller page.  It might be scanned again at the main destination PO but I'm not sure.  I've seen some comments that indicate this to be true and that that is the final "delivered" scan even though the item hasn't yet been delivered by the mail carrier.  The only other option seems to be that the mail carrier scans it before delivering it and that info is again forwarded to eBay somehow.

Does anyone know for sure how this tracking works and a general question....what is eBay doing to ensure that an item being "tracked" can be found??

P.S. I am aware of the insurance but again....to the buyer's benefit...not mine as I'm out the value of the item. 

Message 1 of 32
latest reply
31 REPLIES 31

Re: How does ebay standard envelope tracking actually work?

it does not work...

Message 16 of 32
latest reply

I appreciate your comments.  I should have mentioned that I sell postcards and coins and I have the biggest problem with coins.  Ebay advertises this as an option for shipping coins more economically yet they also say the envelope can't be rigid....obviously it's going to be rigid with a coin in it.  If the rigidity of the coin is causing issues with the envelope going through the machine then eBay shouldn't have included coins in the mix.  BTW, I usually ship all my postcards and coins in recycled greeting cards with 7"x5" envelopes and secure the coins so they don't move around.

Message 17 of 32
latest reply

You should look at this youtube video of "how usps sorts mail" then decide if you still want to put coins in a letter. It also mentions how the barcode helps them sort and manage lettermail.

https://youtu.be/gB7QOK1bd3U

Message 18 of 32
latest reply

I send a majority of my sales in #10 envelopes with ebay standard envelope.  This video makes me very uneasy...lol  

Message 19 of 32
latest reply

eBay does not care. I just went to my post office and asked. It’s a number that’s used for the post offices benefit for their automated machinery one I’ve done and I’m still starting up but it says has track then I had to change all listing when it showed this number is not a tracking. It’s the post offices and eBay’s way of pointing the finger at one another. Just promise tracking and insured in the description and try a flat rate charge of 99 or 1.99 to the buyer old sale trick subconsciously the mind see 1.99 instead of just 2 dollars believes it’s not as much when really not much but a penny but I got no help and everywhere it said what you’ve experienced it’s ridiculous eBay making a lot of money 

Message 20 of 32
latest reply

Get thin cardboard paper in the middle cut the size and shape and tape the coin in between then cut the cardboard to the side of the letter envelope but as far as tracking don’t think eBay cares they do this knowingly not enough for the profits they make I guess

Message 21 of 32
latest reply

I have the same problem. I have to give refunds every week. I think most post offices don't have the equipment to scan this label.Nobody in a 25 mile radius of me can scan them. I'm thinking of going to a hand written envelope.

Message 22 of 32
latest reply

@deninak wrote:

I have the same problem. I have to give refunds every week. I think most post offices don't have the equipment to scan this label.

They do not. Ebay standard envelopes use the routing code that is read by sorting machines at the sort facility. The tracking reports might say 'Delivered' when the envelopes are last handled by a sorting machine at the destination sort facility but that is the latest scan that can be reported. The routing code is not a tracking barcode so it will never get an Acceptance scan when you mail it or a Delivered scan when it is actually delivered.

If your buyer files an Item not received claim then you must refund in full and get reimbursement for that from Ebay.

Message 23 of 32
latest reply

And lose the value of the item you sold that is now lost.

Message 24 of 32
latest reply

@bkerea66 wrote:

And lose the value of the item you sold that is now lost.

What? No - after you refund the buyer you report the loss of the eSE package to Ebay. They reimburse you for eSE shipment losses up to $20. (If you are shipping something of higher value then you should use a fully-tracked method such as Ground Advantage or Priority Mail. Either of those offer free insurance up to $100 of value.)

Message 25 of 32
latest reply

The problem I've encountered is always with the buyers emailing me in a frenzy about how the item is marked "delivered" but they "NEVER GOT THE PACKAGE!!"  They always sound so irate when I get those irritating emails. 

I have to explain this new tracking system to at least 3 + buyers a week and it's HIGHLY annoying.  It's also annoying when they open a case or leave negative FB when they "panic" too early. 

YES I'm saving me and my customers money.

YES it's the most cost effective way to ship a patch when the competition is selling them for under $2.00. 

YES I will continue to use it despite the annoying emails and customer complaints.

HOWEVER,  Ebay and the USPS should iron out the "kinks" in the system so the tracking info doesn't say "DELIVERED" when it reaches the final scan...  Some other wording would be nice.  OR at least an automatic email from ebay to the buyers upon checkout where the "Standard Envelope" is being used explaining how the service "tracking" works. 

There is a way to make this less of a hassle to everyone involved. 

Update that.

Message 26 of 32
latest reply

I don't believe USPS is going to change anything about the way intelligent mail barcodes works for the benefit of ebay. For lack of a better word ebay is just exploiting a system that was never intended to be used for the tracking of merchandise.

Message 27 of 32
latest reply

I agree 100%. eBay controls the language, user interfaces, + info available about this program and it is misleading. I try to add some explanatory language in my item descriptions but we all know that only goes so far. I also have some standard emails I now use (w/ tweaks of course) in response to common queries, explaining how the tracking actually works + encouraging people to sign up for free USPS .com accounts + Informed Delivery (ID gives you more detailed + timely updates on mail addressed to your registered address, compared to what's publicly available [due to privacy laws], and it also shows you images of your incoming mail that's been scanned).

I've noticed habitual buyers are learning what to expect and whether they really want to chance it with the envelope or pay for Ground Advantage, so I hope the education efforts of sellers can make a difference over time at least.

Message 28 of 32
latest reply

Track your Standard Envelope here: Tracking ESE

Message 29 of 32
latest reply

Wow, this is incredibly helpful. I wish eBay would have given this to me all the times I complained. I just refunded someone because eBay is reporting “label created, awaiting shipment”… this site says they are preparing the package at a facility near them in KY. I’m in NJ. 

Message 30 of 32
latest reply