cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How To Have Sucessful Sales On Ebay

First thing is First. READ Ebays Policy for Sellers and Buyers. Take the time to learn ebays Terms and Conditions for all aspects of the policy. Learning the rules of selling on ebay should be the first thing you do before you even register and account.

2nd) Pick a Product that you Know best. Pick something that you are knowledgable on. They say you will the best salesman if you know the products you sell better than your customers. We specialize in Industrial Surplus. I have been in business since 1943 running a military surplus/pneumatic tool company. Online sales through ebay are a small portion of what we do. Knowing the products I sell is how I do so well. I used to be a Tool Mechanic. So when it comes to tools I know them in and out. However always still learning.

3rd) Stay up to date on the ebay policy changes. Keep informed on the new changes best you can. Follow the rules and you will not have any issues!

4th) Fair Honest Caring Business is #1. When you go above and beyond the call of duty you will have a happy customer everytime. Throw in a free item you may have surplus of. When a buyer gets the package and opens it and sees a free item they will be coming back.

5th) Put yourself in the buyers shoes. Take a look at your store from the outside in. Put yourself threw a sale threw your store and see how it operates. See if there are any bugs to work out. Make the transaction as easy and painless as possible for your customers! This will help you get repeat business!

6th) Offer Sales ALL the Time.. You should have a sale or promo running at all times. This helps with search standings and will make your customer happy knowing you are giving a deal on items!

Well thats all I have for you today and I will continue on with my business. Take a look at my store feel free to give me any pointers or opinions. I am open to anything good or bad!

Just want ebay to be a Fair Safe Place for people to continue finding good homes for there products! It has always been a great venue for sellers to make extra money on the side. Lets help keep ebay sucessful.

Thanks, Have A Great Day!

Aaron Arthur

Michigan Surplus

Aaron Arthur
Michigan Surplus
Eairtool1
Sale America One
Proauctioneers
Message 1 of 19
latest reply
18 REPLIES 18

Re: How To Have Sucessful Sales On Ebay

Some great recommendations

Message 2 of 19
latest reply

YOu have many great points here and it is important to be prepared, and know policy and your product.  Good prices and sale prices may drive sales.

BUT the most important thing is to create a great listing!  If your listing is not great, buyers may hit the back button.  Clear, well lit pictures.  And all the info a buyer needs to make an informed buying decision.  Honest, accurate descriptions of condition, measurements, etc.  No, see pictures for a description, no relying on the buyer to ask questions because they may not do so and just move on.  

Message 3 of 19
latest reply

@michigan_surpluswrote:

Thanks, Have A Great Day!

Aaron Arthur

Michigan Surplus

Great advice! I would add- Focus on all the good eBay has to offer. I know that sellers get fed up with all the rule changes that seem to go against us, but there is a lot of good about eBay. I personally, love selling on eBay!

Message 4 of 19
latest reply

"4th) Fair Honest Caring Business is #1. When you go above and beyond the call of duty you will have a happy customer everytime. Throw in a free item you may have surplus of. When a buyer gets the package and opens it and sees a free item they will be coming back."

------------

I won't throw in a free item.

First, I'm afraid it might confuse the buyer ... who may think they paid too much if another item is included.

Also, if they're not happy with the second item... it could sour the entire transaction.

Though it's rare, I have heard of seller's getting negged because a buyer didn't like the free item,

or even wished to return the free item, for a different free item .. at the seller's expense.

I feel sending only what the buyer bought, gives less room for error.

Thanks,

Lynn

Lynn

You love me for everything you hate me for

Message 5 of 19
latest reply

Also, in addition to the tips you gave in the opening post,

I feel sellers should, in advance, have a comprehensive Return Plan.

I mean, even if they choose No Returns, they hava a plan to deal with return requests and buyer complaints.

Planning in advance how to deal with return requests and not-as-described complaints,

makes them far less stressful, in my opinion.

Lynn

Lynn

You love me for everything you hate me for

Message 6 of 19
latest reply

Thank you ALL, Lets Join together and Make Ebay Great Again!
Aaron Arthur
Michigan Surplus
Eairtool1
Sale America One
Proauctioneers
Message 7 of 19
latest reply

Right off the bat.

Put your Auctiva scrolling gallery at the bottom unless your intentionally trying to steer buyers away from the listing they are looking at.

Change your ALL CAPS descriptions to a normal lowercase font. ALL CAPS is considered shouting. Same goes for the Condition section.

Red font against a black backdrop my look great on Halloween but in a listing it's hard to read and distracting.  Same goes for the yellow font.

Not sure why you're underling every word in the description.

Your pictures really don't need to be in the listing twice.

Your listings are not mobile friendly.

My primary advise to be successful on ebay:

1. Describe accurately

2. Ship fast

3. Communicate effectively

4. Never ever make the buyer's problem your problem

5. Always remain professional.

6. Never make business decisions based on what-ifs.

7. As you said, learn everything about policies and rules. I would add 'workarounds and tricks.'

8. Take good pictures

9. The listing should be black and white, simple yet effective.

10. Research value and price accordingly.

~Why be a second rate version of someone else when you can be a first rate version of yourself~

Message 8 of 19
latest reply

OP the majority of your listings are non captible to the ebay format and they just haven't gotten around to knocking your listings down yet.... Might get those corrected first before working on making ebay great again...

Message 9 of 19
latest reply

Thanks for the pointers! I agree. I need to do some revising. Make my listings simple and easy to read. I have some revising to do. There has not been one day in the past 5-6 years I have not sold something. I think I could sell more if I made my listings short and sweet.
I use Auctiva program to post to ebay. They keep track of all my sales history back to day 1.
Nice program to use.

Aaron
Aaron Arthur
Michigan Surplus
Eairtool1
Sale America One
Proauctioneers
Message 10 of 19
latest reply

I know I have around 300 listings that need fixed. I been trying to fix as I go along. I still have not had one day that I have not sold something. We sell daily here. Even some of the listings that are not compatible sell.
Its mainly Mobile friendly deal. So if your behind a cpu its compatible.
Aaron Arthur
Michigan Surplus
Eairtool1
Sale America One
Proauctioneers
Message 11 of 19
latest reply

@michigan_surpluswrote:
There has not been one day in the past 5-6 years I have not sold something.

You didn't sell anything on March 4th or March 6th, according to eBay's display of your sold items.

Message 12 of 19
latest reply

And don't forget, pack well and ship within your handling time!

Message 13 of 19
latest reply

You would not be able to tell unless you where logged into my account. We are closed on the weekends. I am part of a much larger company. Ebay is a small portion of what we do. We have 3 active ebay accounts. Specializing in different areas. Plus we do catalog and phone sales.
Trust me we are the best in the business and there is not a day that goes by that we dont sell something on ebay.

We pay around 4,000$ per month in fees.

Aaron
Aaron Arthur
Michigan Surplus
Eairtool1
Sale America One
Proauctioneers
Message 14 of 19
latest reply

I see the 4th shows no sales on my Michigan Surplus site. Does not mean I didnt sell something 😉 wink wink.

I tell you one thing is for sure. I can post anything on this community blog deal and it blows up like a media scandal. I swear it is funny how many responses you get when you post just one small thing on here.
Actually have had quite a few people in my store the more I post comments to this community blog.
hmmmmm........
Aaron Arthur
Michigan Surplus
Eairtool1
Sale America One
Proauctioneers
Message 15 of 19
latest reply