cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Holiday season is here. Where are the sales?

Hello -  Based on first half of November, I don't think we are even going to do what we did last year sales wise.  How are you guys faring?   We had a slight old normal sales days for four days in middle of October and then a bit last weekend but otherwise same as August -- barely surviving.  Not to complain too much but I can't seem to explain why those two normal sales pattern can't be every day.  Like today, 

so far we had zero sales.  Of course it is week day but aren't everyone shopping for holidays already?

The seller I work for invested over $2000 in new items for holidays so I am hoping he have better second half of November and a decent December.  It is hard to see all the hard work and effort to go un rewarded.  Love to hear how you guys are doing.   Thanks.

Message 1 of 72
latest reply
71 REPLIES 71

Re: Holiday season is here. Where are the sales?

Vintage Melrose....the stuff in your store seems way overpriced to me. Those are mall prices.
Message 46 of 72
latest reply

Thank you for the good news! I may be silly but im hopeful that that means things have been fixed! Ill take being seen anywhere and worry about number placement another time.  Again thank you.  I think ill spend the day listing new items! And keep my fingers crossed.  

Message 47 of 72
latest reply

We use google and past experience to price our items.  we offer free shipping and we need to recover that plus all fees and all other costs of selling.  We run sales all the time ---- and after 2 to 3 months, the owner just try to break even.   It is his livelihood so he can't afford losses.   We rather give to charity than take a loss.  Break even -- just gets our costs back --- no recovery of labor and warehousing.  We also try to get as much as possible on good items.  Yesterday we sold a Bogner vintage ski suit for $185 including shipping --- cost for us $40 all together ---- so in that case we price where the market is and 

make a good profit ---- this is the time to sell high dollar items like jackets, hoodies, sweaters and ski stuff -  sales on these would come 2nd week in December and again around end of Feb.  thanks for your input.  the owner always review my prices and adjust them further up or down.  

Message 48 of 72
latest reply

Sales are down for me too! I sale a Tech item. Windows 10 Pro OEM and it has been slow for me for months now. last good month i had was August 

Message 49 of 72
latest reply

@linus.hux72fe wrote:

Well I wish you better luck as I opened a different browser and searched for your John Deer Pewter Tractors - your actual link was on the second google page following actual toy store dealers with paid ads as well as 2 British sellers on Ebay - click shopping - your item is on the 4th row. Checked out a couple of other of your items and found them higher on google search than the tractors.

If you sent a direct link to the buyer - there is no reason they shouldn't have been able to access the items. While searching for you - did they search the exact spelling of your ID with the . because if not - you won't be found.

Message 50 of 72
latest reply

It is hard to see all the hard work and effort to go un rewarded.  Love to hear how you guys are doing.   Thanks. vintageemelrose -----------------------

Well , you may be jumping the gun a bit . I know many people begin holiday shopping early ,, but a lot don't . I don't know the type of things you sell ,, but I'd still wait until the second week of December  to worry if things haven't picked up by then.  I tend to think they will pick up . I sell jewelry and business boomed this weekend  here after a short  lull  ,, just give it a little more time . Good luck 

Message 51 of 72
latest reply

I also saw a bit of a boost in sales this weekend, mostly yesterday and mainly Christmas items. A glimmer of hope!  Smiley Happy

Message 52 of 72
latest reply

@hioctane62 wrote:

I also saw a bit of a boost in sales this weekend, mostly yesterday and mainly Christmas items. A glimmer of hope!  Smiley Happy

I've also seen more of the eBay ad's on TV. Maybe with the craziness of this entire year, people are just slow to the gate?

Message 53 of 72
latest reply

There are NO sales!  Smiley Sad

Seeing tons of posts about this.  Sorry folks, realistically, I think they are trying to kick us out.  

At this point, hope for the best and prepare for the worst.

Good luck and enjoy this time with family.

Message 54 of 72
latest reply

@themagicmountain, when I'm shopping, I almost never Google the item. I go straight to the site where I intend to purchase. Yesterday, however, I decided to Google some items that I have listed, just to see what happened. I was astounded that MY items were very highly placed in search results, when I selected Images. I didn't pay attention to the lists in the search return, because I wouldn't if I were actually shopping - I'd want to see the picture & be sure it matched what I was looking for. I purposefully used generic & brief search terms that a buyer might use, rather than tipping the scales by using my item titles. Every single item I searched, I found my listing image on the first to third line of images. I think that's truly remarkable.

I know absolutely zero about the eBay:Google:Amazon history, politically or otherwise. I just know that I got amazing results yesterday. It's an exercise I will repeat occasionally to see how/whether it changes.

Message 55 of 72
latest reply

Hi, @odditiesandantiquities1! I sure hope you're right. Last weekend was GREAT (for me.) Like @rolenboy01, most of the items that sold were things I was about ready to give up on, not seasonal items I'd expect to be selling right now. This is my first holiday season selling for several years, so I don't have anything to compare it to. Overall, my sales are much lower than I'd like ever since I started selling again, but I thought I was finally on a roll last weekend. Then, POOF! It disappeared. I've had exactly one sale in a week. That's slow, even for me. I have some things I need to get listed, but I stepped away from it all today to get ready & excited about family gatherings this week. Just got on here to print my ONE shipping label, and couldn't avoid a peek at what folks are talking about today!

Message 56 of 72
latest reply

My sales are completly dead. Have only got one or two sales per week for the last month or so. 

Message 57 of 72
latest reply

Please please call eBay and report the dropped sales and demand it is reported on a ticket. An eBay rep suggested that yesterday and understood the plight us sellers are having.
Message 58 of 72
latest reply

Yes, I believe it. Having the same.
Message 59 of 72
latest reply

i have been on and off ebay for several years.. having come back to it, at a time, when now, E-commerce is everywhere!!  so much competition.. how do any of you build a brand with out having your own web site or blog.. i wish Ebay was the first place people come, for good quality and knowledgable sales.. but again.. there is Etsy, and Ruby Lane, and Amazon and all the shopping sites etc.. Ist dibs and other auction sites..  how does anyone land in 'ONE SITE AND STAY THERE?"

i want to believe there is some momentium to be had.. by making the right effort.

not junk, not garage sale items.. but things of value, that you are giving people outside your region, access to knowing about and purchasing..

would LOVE to hear all thoughts about collectables, vintage, antiques on EBay!!

Message 60 of 72
latest reply