cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Help cancelling a hijacked order

I recently had my seller account hijacked while I was selling an iPhone. The hijacker took control of my account and reduced the buy it now price from $950 to $19, bought the item and paid $19, then left a note saying the buyer bought the item with a $1000 promotional coupon and for me to ship the item and I would receive my $950 payment on 12/25.

Of course I knew this was fraud so I contacted eBay security where I was able to chat on the phone with "Samuel", who is an overseas eBay rep that reset my password to secure my account. He informed me that eBay could do nothing until I contacted my bank to dispute the $52 seller fee that was charged to me when the hijacker ended my auction early, only then would eBay investigate the case.

So here I am with a fraudulent sale on my account, no contact from eBay yet, and no way to contact any eBay official to get this fraudulent pending order off of my account.

Can anyone give me any help as to where to turn for assistance with this? 

I have had my eBay account for more than 20 years but I am at the point now that I just want to clear this order off of my account  and close it out permanently.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Message 1 of 22
latest reply
21 REPLIES 21

@mandy7871 

I'm concerned that you said an overseas eBay rep reset your password for you. This sounds fishy. You should have reset your password yourself. Also concerned the eBay rep said they can't investigate until you contact your bank. That doesn't sound right either. Where did you get the number to call eBay? I suspect you let the original scammer reset your password for you. 

Try again to contact eBay directly through eBay, not through any e-mails, messages or not from Googling eBay.

Message 2 of 22
latest reply

@mandy7871  Totally agree with the reply above.

I have been imported from Australia and this is my posting ID
Message 3 of 22
latest reply

As others mentioned reset your own password. As for the order simply end the listing as a problem with the buyers address or as buyer requested. I see nothing sold or listed on this account so I am assuming this is your posting ID. Is this the one that was "hijacked"?

Also if your account was hacked the hacker may have gotten access to, or changed, some of your personal information. While the banking information is secure and some of your personal information is also secured there are a lot of things that are not. Make sure nothing else has been altered or changed. 

Message 4 of 22
latest reply

@mandy7871 wrote:

Can anyone give me any help as to where to turn for assistance with this? 

I have had my eBay account for more than 20 years but I am at the point now that I just want to clear this order off of my account  and close it out permanently.

If your goal is to close out your account, why are you so determined to "clear the order off your account"?

Message 5 of 22
latest reply

You reset your password not an eBay rep.

I think you just got scammed again and let a scammer have control of your account again

Message 6 of 22
latest reply

Reset your password.

Regain control of your account.

Cancel the sale.

Papa Was A Rolling Stone - The Temptations
Message 7 of 22
latest reply

Thanks for your help!

I got the phone call by following the eBay prompts...contact us....chat...then finally a prompt that said a representative would call me back.

After our phone call I even received a survey telling me the representatives name and asking me to rate my interaction with him.

Samuel said after my bank contests the payout to eBay then and only then would eBay investigate the activity.

My main concern now is clearing out the bogus order from my account so I can close my account out.

It disappointed me that eBay seemed to prioritize getting a seller fee from me over helping me square away my seller account after it had been hijacked, but at this point I'd gladly give them the seller fee in exchange for closing out my account cleanly.

Message 8 of 22
latest reply

This was a criminal action and should be reported to appropriate law enforcement authorities.

Message 9 of 22
latest reply

Thanks for the help.

After the rep reset my password I went ahead and reset it again also.

I have control of my account now, some of my personal info was changed but everything has been corrected at this point.  Except the order that is sitting there.

The scammer/hacker changed the buy it now price an purchased the item under what I would guess is a fake or false eBay user ID for $19...in order to cancel the order I would need to refund the scammer the $19...

Screenshot 2023-12-19 at 9.27.41 AM.png

Here is the order...

Screenshot 2023-12-12 at 12.14.00 PM.png

At this point I'm just hoping tomcat this order removed somImcan close out my account properly.

Message 10 of 22
latest reply

I want to clear the order off because it's fraudulent. 

If you can't understand why I would want to properly clear this order out after having my seller account hijacked then I'm afraid I can't relate to your reasoning.

Message 11 of 22
latest reply

I reset the password again after the rep helped me reset it.

I received a survey from eBay(on the eBay app)to rate my interaction with the representative after the call was over.

As hard as it is to believe its just poor customer service from eBay really.

Message 12 of 22
latest reply

If you've used that same password, or something similar ANYWHERE else. you need to change it there too. When criminals get a set of credentials known to work in one place, they attempt to use them everywhere else. Sometimes they get lucky and find another site where those same credentials work. Banks, Amazon, you name it. 

Multi Factor Authentication can mitigate the fallout from this, but so many people have not bothered to set it up (seems you did not have it set up on eBay, so chances are good this is the same for other sites you use).

So, before this gets a lot worse than an order that can just be canceled, review ALL your passwords. 

Message 13 of 22
latest reply

devon@ebay 

elizabeth@ebay 

kyle@ebay 

Shouldn't eBay Security be doing more than this on a hacked account, or is there some miscommunication between the parties?

U.S. Community Volunteer

Message 14 of 22
latest reply

@mandy7871 wrote:

I want to clear the order off because it's fraudulent. 

If you can't understand why I would want to properly clear this order out after having my seller account hijacked then I'm afraid I can't relate to your reasoning.

Cancel the order and refund and be done with it.

Have a great day
Message 15 of 22
latest reply