cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Help...What's The Deal With Selling Limits?

I've been listing without restrictions for a long time. In fact, I've never had to limit the amount of listings I generate. All of a sudden I'm being restricted from listing. The only change to my account has been a recent update I had to do to give them a tax identification number. And to complete that process, I had to update and verify my checking account, even though I've been using the same bank account all along for payments, etc.  Could this update have turned me, in ebay's eyes, into a "new" seller?

Message 1 of 29
latest reply
28 REPLIES 28

Re: Help...What's The Deal With Selling Limits?

@gagojure wrote:

I've been listing without restrictions for a long time. In fact, I've never had to limit the amount of listings I generate. All of a sudden I'm being restricted from listing. The only change to my account has been a recent update I had to do to give them a tax identification number. And to complete that process, I had to update and verify my checking account, even though I've been using the same bank account all along for payments, etc.  Could this update have turned me, in ebay's eyes, into a "new" seller?

Look a bit at what you have had listed:

Flash suppressor is not allowed:

"The following firearm accessories are not allowed:

Frames, kits used to create a firearm, polymer 80 frame kits, flash suppressors, silencers, sears, high capacity magazines that accept more than 10 rounds (even if they have been modified to accept fewer), magazine extenders, bump fire stocks, grenade launchers, and pistol conversion kits"

From this page:

https://www.ebay.com/help/policies/prohibited-restricted-items/firearms-accessories-policy?id=4277 

You may have more problems that you realize.

Message 16 of 29
latest reply

All they needed was a tax identification number updated...But I had to follow multiple steps after that, which really wasn't necessary. It's just like I was a new seller...which I'm not. What should be a simple task, turns into days of frustration because their system is flawed.

Message 17 of 29
latest reply

Geez...really? You find one item that I innocently listed that I had no idea was restricted and you are using that to somehow justify a new selling limit on my account?  Totally irrelevant to my situation.

FYI - Like everyone else...I do some research on ebay when I have an item to list that I'm not too familiar with. And, in the course of doing that, multiple items like the one I'm wanting to sell pop up in current and sold listings...That doesn't indicate a red flag to me to go find out if it's allowed. I would have no idea. Not trying to do anything sinister! The times when I have unknowingly listed a restricted item, ebay has simply removed it and told me why. Again, an honest mistake.

Message 18 of 29
latest reply

@gagojure wrote:

All they needed was a tax identification number updated...But I had to follow multiple steps after that, which really wasn't necessary. It's just like I was a new seller...which I'm not. What should be a simple task, turns into days of frustration because their system is flawed.

Ahh:

If that TIN is not the same as your bay account registration this will cause you problems.

in other words a business, verses your real name.....

It also should match the names on your bank account.

Been some real strange stuff with this.

As for a pain: well there be thousands of users get this: and only a few that it does not go through easily.

As for the additional questions you were asked: was that to verify your info??

Laws changed and eBay has to do all of this stuff for taxation reasons.  Crazy stuff it is.

Yet I do suspect there is a bit more to this stuff: like them offers of credit to you a as a seller etc.

I suspect some of this info may be being used incorrectly by eBay and their payment system:  through third party folks. Time will tell us more about all of this..

Message 19 of 29
latest reply

@gagojure wrote:

Geez...really? You find one item that I innocently listed that I had no idea was restricted and you are using that to somehow justify a new selling limit on my account?  Totally irrelevant to my situation.

FYI - Like everyone else...I do some research on ebay when I have an item to list that I'm not too familiar with. And, in the course of doing that, multiple items like the one I'm wanting to sell pop up in current and sold listings...That doesn't indicate a red flag to me to go find out if it's allowed. I would have no idea. Not trying to do anything sinister! The times when I have unknowingly listed a restricted item, ebay has simply removed it and told me why. Again, an honest mistake.

Not irrelevant: seen way to much stuff going on.

How many items have you had pulled due to listing violations??

Any VERO take downs?

Such can and will trigger an investigation into you.

How many cancels have you had to do?

How many items not received case have you had to do?

How many item not as described cases have you had to do?

Has they asked for say tracking numbers on all of you stuff?

Have they asked for receipt of items on your stuff you sell?

Such as this has been going on with eBay of late as well.

So far your description of the problem seem to be the up date of info you had to give.

Yet you say they still have to verify your bank account....  some thing is just plain not correct.

Most likly just some of the info was not EXACTLY the same..

A fast look shows a neg and a neutral given which takes you down to 98.8.

This of course does not show all,  and cases that may have been done that no feedback was left:

What is you seller rating??

In them back rooms of eBay: who for sure know what is going on...

I suspect some of  what I have seen we will never know the reasons.

Hope this all works out for you and it is handled fast.

You seem to be a good seller.

Message 20 of 29
latest reply

I have had a very similar problem, I have also been a seller for 23 years on ebay. This issue started for me on the evening of the 20th. The payment hold they put in place after I updated was fixed on it’s own after about 8 hours. I received a message saying all set, thanks.

The selling limit which previously was something like 100 million went to 10 and $750 a month. That is still not resolved. I called ebay yesterday and the person I spoke to said this was a wide spread problem and assured me nothing was wrong with my account, just a error on their end. She said she would personally oversee that my account’s selling limits are restored quickly. 20 hours later since that call and it’s still not fixed.

Message 21 of 29
latest reply

The same thing happened to me 

updated tax id and boom eBay lowered my limits to 0, ende  all my listings, and erased the unsold listings so they cant be relisted 

call ebay and got my selling limits restored but 

but all my listings were erased and I am unable to relist any one of them????

i now have to start relisting my items one by one all over again 

Message 22 of 29
latest reply

@rarevintage2015 wrote:

The same thing happened to me 

updated tax id and boom eBay lowered my limits to 0, ende  all my listings, and erased the unsold listings so they cant be relisted 

call ebay and got my selling limits restored but 

but all my listings were erased and I am unable to relist any one of them????

i now have to start relisting my items one by one all over again 

Your completed items are here

https://www.ebay.com/sch/rarevintage2015/m.html?LH_Complete=1&rt=nc&_trksid=p2046732.m1684 

Click on them and use sell similar to  list em.

May not get em all but should help.

Message 23 of 29
latest reply

I am in the same boat as gagjure....customer service lifted selling and listing restrictions. I still have to wait for bank verification.

I was unable to confirm my just my tax id as requested  (same id for the last 13 years) i had to go through the whole process of verifying bank details too.

I was told it was a bug

It's not over though as i have to wait for 2 small micro payments to be deposited into my account before payouts will resume but at least i can add listings today as i was restricted.

Message 24 of 29
latest reply

eBay evaluates sellers monthly around the 20th. The sellers here in this thread may have been in randomly chosen group. Their accounts, listings, and who knows what else, are gone over with a finer focus. 
@gagojure may have been flagged because of that one listing for the prohibited item, the others, it’s because they joined eBay on a Wednesday. 

Only eBay knows why it happened and how to get back to where one was just days ago. 

The best advise is to contact eBay for business on social media. 
I understand not everyone wants an account on those platforms, but it’s really the only way, I know, where there is at least a glimmer of a hope the account will get back to the previous state. 

No one asked, but I am looking forward to the day when having feedback default sorted by relevance seems right.
Message 25 of 29
latest reply

Thank you!...Finally someone else who's had to do this update understands the unnecessary steps involved in getting it done and the ramifications it causes. 

It's not some secret ebay investigation flagging me because of a mistake I made of listing one item that is restricted...And it's not because I've had 1 negative feedback and 1 neutral feedback...It's a simple glitch in their account update system! You should be able to provide the information they request without starting from scratch as a seller.

Message 26 of 29
latest reply

I had the problem as mentioned above and I have 100% feedback, no negatives and no flagged items. This reaffirms your point, that this issue is because of something else and not some grand ebay conspiracy. 

I followed the link posted on here in a reply to Facebook (thank you!). It got my selling limit increased to more than I need and they are making a note of what happened to me.

Good luck to you guys getting your account back in order. 

Message 27 of 29
latest reply

Thank you very much for the link, it helped to resolve my problem. 

Message 28 of 29
latest reply

I'm actually on the phone with them now...but not really getting anywhere.

The phone reps don't work for eBay.

Use the social media accounts for actual trained employees.

https://www.facebook.com/eBayForBusiness/ — Message button in upper right on landing page.
https://twitter.com/askebay?lang=en
https://community.ebay.com/t5/Selling/How-do-I-contact-Customer-Support/m-p/32016431#M1783851 -> Automated Assistant, type AGENT -> enter. You will then get more options.

And all your names must match.
If your name is John Jacob Jingleheimer Smith,

you cannot have a bank account as J J  Jingleheimer Smith ,

a Managed Payment account as John Jacob Jingleheimer Smith,

and an eBay account as JJJ Smith.

Message 29 of 29
latest reply