cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Help - Buyer committed fraud and ebay sided with him anyway

I've been a seller for 25 years and have never had a problem getting an issue resolved.  Now I can't even get someone on the phone to read the black and white proof that the buyer, who's been here just 6 months,  uploaded a fraudulent tracking number that was delivered BEFORE the claim was even filed. So I'm out $1,000. Is it time to close my account permanently or is there a way to resolve? 

Message 1 of 19
latest reply
1 BEST ANSWER

Accepted Solutions

My first post is a bit muddled:  folllow the steps below with link.

Here is mudsharks post:

eBay's and other 3rd party online retail site's automated Item not received (INR) system can only look for a Delivered scan when a tracking number is uploaded.  Since they are neither the sender or recipient they are not entitled to more info from the USPS, FedEx, UPS and other shipping agencies.

You can appeal the decision (link below) however, you have to do a bit of leg work to win the appeal.

Go to your  local Post Office, UPS or FedEx store and bring proof of you being the recipient, eBay Order Details and Purchase History pages w/ the tracking number on it.   If you used a phone/tablet etc. for the purchase bring that, or print copies of those pages if you used a computer.

At the store ask the clerk to compare the shipping label info address, package type/size/weight to the Order details info. They cannot give out specific information, but they can write a note on company stationary  saying things like; the shipping label's address does not match yours, and if applicable that the package type/size/weight. doesn't match what you should have received. 

The note needs to be signed and dated by the clerk and give the store# or P.O. zip code.

With that info you can file an appeal. When you do there will be a place to upload documentation, a clear photo or scan of the note.  Appeals are looked at by real people and the info you provide will cause you to win.

https://www.ebay.com/help/buying/returns-refunds/appeal-ebays-decision-return-missing-item-buyers?id...

View Best Answer in original post

Message 16 of 19
latest reply
18 REPLIES 18

No one here can see your account and what you've written doesn't really explain. If you can come back and actually add details to what occurred, you will receive some genuine advice that may help you out....

Message 2 of 19
latest reply

@chandlore wrote:

I've been a seller for 25 years and have never had a problem getting an issue resolved.  Now I can't even get someone on the phone to read the black and white proof that the buyer, who's been here just 6 months,  uploaded a fraudulent tracking number that was delivered BEFORE the claim was even filed. So I'm out $1,000. Is it time to close my account permanently or is there a way to resolve? 

What claim? Without any additional info, I’d probably say yes. Best you close shop if you expect us to help with little to no information.

Message 3 of 19
latest reply

As @lamber9347 has said, we need more info to properly advise you.

On a side note.  You've been selling here long enough, I would hope that you know that ANY buyer can get a free item from you by simply making a false claim.  There is nothing you can do to prevent it.  You're taking a huge risk by selling expensive items here.

Undone - Bachman & Cummings
Message 4 of 19
latest reply

The ask was pretty simple. Is there a way to talk to a human at ebay about a buyer committing fraud. If you don't know, no need to ask for salacious details.  I won't be providing them to anyone but ebay and the authorities...

Message 5 of 19
latest reply

So, did the buyer open a Not As Described claim? He sent an item back and then invoked the Money Back Guarantee?

Sadly, there are the nefarious few who use eBay’s Money Back Guarantee to commit fraud. They know that eBay will side with the buyer virtually every time.

You are a successful seasoned eBay seller. I would not let one bad transaction alter your course of success or chase you off the platform. Realize this is not personal. It happens, and there is not much a seller can do to protect himself.

You do not have to take it lying down. If the buyer defrauded you using the MBG, then you can appeal eBay’s decision. But before you do this, get your ducks in a row.

File a report online with the USPS postal inspectors, outlining how the buyer defrauded you using the mail in the commission of the crime. This is a felony offense. Keep a copy of the report for yourself to be submitted in your eBay appeal.

Next, file an online report at ic3.gov which is the FBIs Internet Crime Complaint Center. Keep a copy of this as well.

Next, make a report to the local authorities in both the buyer’s jurisdiction and yours. Get the case number and copy of the police report.

The purpose of doing all this is two-fold. It may help in the appeal, but it is also to get the scammers name and address on the record. Scammers like to fly below the radar.

You have 30 days to file the appeal once the buyer’s claim has been made. See the link below for the how-to from eBay’s Help pages. Include your reports when you file. Wish you the best of luck.

https://www.ebay.com/help/selling/managing-returns-refunds/appeal-ebay%E2%80%99s-decision-return-mis...

Message 6 of 19
latest reply

@chandlore wrote:

The ask was pretty simple. Is there a way to talk to a human at ebay about a buyer committing fraud. If you don't know, no need to ask for salacious details.  I won't be providing them to anyone but ebay and the authorities...

Salacious details, wow, now I really want to know what happened. The only way to speak to anyone is through a call center, which is manned by untrained staff who cannot access your account. They are hired mainly to placate those who call but do not provide assistance. This forum is comprised of experienced sellers who've been posting on this forum for many years and are knowledgeable about ways to get actual help with situations. However, as explained we cannot access your account and since you won't provide any details then no one here can be of assistance to you....

Message 7 of 19
latest reply

Your best bet is to contact ebay for business on facebook. Have them look at and actually see that they used a tracking number that shows delivery before they even opened a MBG claim.

They haven't been that great lately either but it is better than the reps you get in chat or on the phone from overseas.

Message 8 of 19
latest reply

@chandlore wrote:

the buyer, who's been here just 6 months,  uploaded a fraudulent tracking number that was delivered BEFORE the claim was even filed. 

Adding to @fashunu4eeuh's advice:

Contact the carrier of the fake return tracking number. Get something in writing that says the package did not include your name/address. You don't need them to violate privacy rules and disclose the actual name/address, just confirm that it was not addressed or delivered to you. File that document with your appeal.

GLORIOUS!

Confused about the switch to eBay discounted shipping? Read this discussion to make an informed decision about opt in / opt out.
Message 9 of 19
latest reply

@chandlore wrote:

That is NOT what you asked.

What you asked for, as it seems you need to be reminded " is there a way to resolve? "

So, if you want to ask people for help, as you did, then you need to tell the details so helpers know how to direct you and give you options. 

Message 10 of 19
latest reply

@chandlore wrote:

As far as I'm concerned, the only detail missing is clarification as to whether the claim was an eBay return request or a payment dispute.

Assuming it was an eBay return request, all the info you need to file an appeal has been provided.

If it was a payment dispute then that changes things and makes advice you received about filing an appeal irrelevant.

GLORIOUS!

Confused about the switch to eBay discounted shipping? Read this discussion to make an informed decision about opt in / opt out.
Message 11 of 19
latest reply

Let me tell that are several persons here that are more knowledgeable than Ebay customer service that is outsourced to folks in a different country.  Many read from scripts. If your question is not on their script, they can not answer or help you.  They have been known to lie to just get you off the phone. 

Post more information here or go directly to Ebay on Facebook. You would have to click MESSENGER within Facebook and explain your problem to them.  Give them the details, item # , etc. etc. That staff is very knowledgeable and they are fluent in English. Hopefully you get help.

Message 12 of 19
latest reply

Never, EVER 'sell' anything on eBay that you can't afford to lose.

Sell chachtkey, chineese made cheap crap ... if  you lose one, put the 'buyer' on your iggy list and move along. 

I wouldn't even CONSIDER selling ANYTHING for $1000 and trust eBay with my money.

80% of my sales are under $10, somebody wants to rip me?   LoL.  

Go for it.

It'll be your last ... with me anyway.

Message 13 of 19
latest reply

@chandlore wrote:

Wow. Unbelievable.

Undone - Bachman & Cummings
Message 14 of 19
latest reply

Just a few weeks ago there was a seller who beat a scammer by going to the post office:

1.  Getting a written letter regarding the return item not matching.  What the scammer does is get the return label, alter it with an address that is undeliverable, but, Ebay bot takes this as item was returned.  So go to your post office with the tracking number to show that its been altered.  Get  a written letter stating this. 

2.  Appeal through Ebay: Follow the steps below:

Here is mudsharks post:

eBay's and other 3rd party online retail site's automated Item not received (INR) system can only look for a Delivered scan when a tracking number is uploaded.  Since they are neither the sender or recipient they are not entitled to more info from the USPS, FedEx, UPS and other shipping agencies.

You can appeal the decision (link below) however, you have to do a bit of leg work to win the appeal.

Go to your  local Post Office, UPS or FedEx store and bring proof of you being the recipient, eBay Order Details and Purchase History pages w/ the tracking number on it.   If you used a phone/tablet etc. for the purchase bring that, or print copies of those pages if you used a computer.

At the store ask the clerk to compare the shipping label info address, package type/size/weight to the Order details info. They cannot give out specific information, but they can write a note on company stationary  saying things like; the shipping label's address does not match yours, and if applicable that the package type/size/weight. doesn't match what you should have received. 

The note needs to be signed and dated by the clerk and give the store# or P.O. zip code.

With that info you can file an appeal. When you do there will be a place to upload documentation, a clear photo or scan of the note.  Appeals are looked at by real people and the info you provide will cause you to win.

https://www.ebay.com/help/buying/returns-refunds/appeal-ebays-decision-return-missing-item-buyers?id...

Message 15 of 19
latest reply