cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Health issues, Vacation or shut down entirely?

I might need By-Pass surgery.     Maybe as soon as later today.        3-5 days in hospital and an uncertain recovery time I'm torn as to what to do with my two stores.

Should I put both stores on vacation?   5-10-15 days and have that mess to sort out when I'm ready.      I shipped 29 orders yesterday and have no idea what I would face when ready to start back to work.   

Should I simply close down both stores?       End all my listings entirely for the time being?    Not have a disaster waiting for me?

I'm torn.  

Message 1 of 27
latest reply
26 REPLIES 26

Re: Health issues, Vacation or shut down entirely?

Do you have any help - a family member who can fill your orders?

You know what you can handle and what you can't. Shut down if you're worried it will be too much to manage. The last thing you need after heart surgery is worrying about filling orders. Put your store on vacation and hide your listings.

Good luck! I hope it all goes well for you.

Good night and good luck
Message 2 of 27
latest reply

Hope you feel better! and I wish you a VERY speedy recovery. If? it's easy enough to shut down and get back up running. I would do that. For two reasons. Recovery time maybe longer then you think. By that I mean you may be recovered somewhat, but not feel like dealing with this. You may feel weak-ish, and the last thing you need is more STRESS from this place.  you need to put yourself First NOW! that's important. your health is number one now.  Oh GOOD LUCK!

Message 3 of 27
latest reply

I would put on vacation for 3 weeks and use the hide my listings option. 

Prayers to you. 

Message 4 of 27
latest reply

Yes, absolutely put the stores on vacation and be sure to choose the option to block purchases.  (The basic store vacation setting is just an "Away" message and you'd be expected to ship anyway.)  There won't be any "mess to sort out". 

Choose a good long vacation setting time frame so you don't have to worry about it.  Then turn the stores back on when you're feeling better; maybe just one at first so you can ease back into things. Good luck!

Message 5 of 27
latest reply

@grasshopperx wrote:

Hope you feel better! and I wish you a VERY speedy recovery. If? it's easy enough to shut down and get back up running. I would do that. For two reasons. Recovery time maybe longer then you think. By that I mean you may be recovered somewhat, but not feel like dealing with this. You may feel weak-ish, and the last thing you need is more STRESS from this place.  you need to put yourself First NOW! that's important. your health is number one now.  Oh GOOD LUCK!

I can barely function now.     I hate the idea of losing all those sales but like you say,   what if I'm not ready to hit it at the 10 day mark?

I ca end all my listings with the click of a button.     It's such a big step, though.

Message 6 of 27
latest reply

@nobody*s_perfect wrote:

Yes, absolutely put the stores on vacation and be sure to choose the option to block purchases.  (The basic store vacation setting is just an "Away" message and you'd be expected to ship anyway.)  There won't be any "mess to sort out". 

Choose a good long vacation setting time frame so you don't have to worry about it.  Then turn the stores back on when you're feeling better; maybe just one at first so you can ease back into things. Good luck!

Those are good ideas,     Vacation setting for 30 days I can turn the stores back on anytime I want.   

Message 7 of 27
latest reply

Very sorry to hear of the health issues. 

If it were me, I would just turn on vacation mode and check the box to keep people from buying your items while you are away. They won't be able to buy anything while you are away. Then you can turn the stores back on when you are comfortable with coming back to work. 

You can also have an "out of the office" response email that will respond to anyone that sends you a eBay message.

Best to you in your recovery if you need that surgery.

Message 8 of 27
latest reply

@goodluckselling wrote:

I would put on vacation for 3 weeks and use the hide my listings option. 

Prayers to you. 

Thank You. 

Message 9 of 27
latest reply

My vacation settings do not have an option to set a certain amount of time. I turn it on and then it stays in vacation mode until I go back in and turn it off.

This is the box to check below to keep folks from purchasing. 

Keep people from buying your fixed price listings while you're on vacation. Your auction style listings will still run as scheduled.

---> Note that your auctions will run as scheduled, so you would need to end those listings that are auctions. 

Message 10 of 27
latest reply

@calntom wrote:

My vacation settings do not have an option to set a certain amount of time. I turn it on and then it stays in vacation mode until I go back in and turn it off.

This is the box to check below to keep folks from purchasing. 

Keep people from buying your fixed price listings while you're on vacation. Your auction style listings will still run as scheduled.

---> Note that your auctions will run as scheduled, so you would need to end those listings that are auctions. 

Thank you,   That's very helpful.   

Message 11 of 27
latest reply

If it were me, I would shut down (even if I had someone to handle the sales).  My father had bypass surgery in '11 and he had to go to rehab afterward.  He spent three (3) months in the nursing home - his hospital stay was about five (5) days after the surgery, but rehab was 'mandatory'  😞

Wishing you a successful surgery and a  speedy recovery

Message 12 of 27
latest reply

My family will be saying prayers for you. We know the good lord listens. I hope you make a speedy recovery and when you come back eBay will have a complete 360 on how they treat their sellers. Good Luck

Message 13 of 27
latest reply

The last thing you need to worry about after having important surgery is ebay. Your health takes PRIORITY. Put your stores on vacation for the time being, perhaps 3 weeks. You can adjust once your through surgery based on Doctor recommendations of how much rest you require and other medical needs. I'd consider ending any listings ebay will be auto renewing within the next few weeks, unless you have the free listings to support not incurring an additional fee.

Just put ebay on the back burner and take care of yourself. Congrats on getting so many orders out yesterday! I wish you a successful surgery and speedy recovery.
Message 14 of 27
latest reply

I agree with sodalight.   Put YOUR well being first.  Turn on vacation mode, hide your items, end your auctions.  Put an auto reply in place that you are unavailable.

Prayers for a successful surgery and speedy recovery.  Ebay will probably still be here when you are recovered.

Member of the Grumpy Old Man crew
Message 15 of 27
latest reply